Hernen Things to Do Tips by sim1
Hernen Things to Do: 9 reviews and 17 photos
Taking a peak out of the window at Hernen Castle
You can find Hernen Castle in the little village of Hernen, which is west from Nijmegen.
Opening times :
15th April until 1st November 10 o'clock until 12 and 2 o'clock until 5.
It is a guided tour and the last one is at 4 o'clock.
I visited Hernen Castle in September 2001and I enjoyed my visit to this castle a lot. It is so old and still in its original state. There is no furniture at all in this castle though, but the architecture and still being in its orinal state is what makes it special.
A bathroom 15th century style :-) It is on the outside of the castle and it is nothing more than a hole in the floor. This parts of the castle hangs over the moat, so no flush toilet was needed. Simple but effective :-)
The wooden structure in one of the towers. Can you imagine, this is wood from the 15th century and it is still here!
Hernen Castle is a castle with a moat around it, dating back to the 14th century. Because this castle was hardly used since the 17th century it hasn't been changed at all since those days. It is quite an extra-ordinary castle in the Netherlands, because it has some unique architecture. It is one of the important examples of defendable houses in the Netherlands.
More Reviews (2)
sim1's Related Pages
Hernen Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Hernen
- 7 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Hernen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hernen
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 150 reviews, 314 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 143 reviews, 271 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 140 reviews, 259 photos
- Paris Intro, 83 reviews, 183 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 93 reviews, 159 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Algonquin Provincial Park Intro, 115 reviews, 115 photos
- Toronto Intro, 108 reviews, 102 photos
- Venice Intro, 99 reviews, 110 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 89 reviews, 100 photos
- Italy Intro, 84 reviews, 90 photos