"The town where I used to live : Oldenzaal" Oldenzaal by sim1
Oldenzaal Travel Guide: 81 reviews and 206 photos
Oldenzaal is the town where I used to live for the past 10 years. It is in the eastern part of Holland close to the German border. This region is called Twente.
This region is quite unknown to the tourists, but it is lovely here. Not the first thing that comes to mind maybe of places to visit when you go to Holland, but absolutely worth while.
Oldenzaal is very easy to find... just take the highway A1 that runs all the way from Amsterdam to Moskow. Just before you reach the German border turn right and visit this beautiful little town! Hahaha, okay, I might be a little biased in my opinion about Oldenzaal :-)) But I enjoyed living here a lot. As a tourist not a must see, but a nice stop on the way.
A bit of history :
Oldenzaal is believed to be very old. In 700 there must have been a castle where the city is now. The name of "Oldenzaal" was found in manuscripts already in the 9th century, although it was written a bit differently "Altisalja". With a little bit of fantasy and by using the local dialect these two names look a lot alike.
On 11 July 1049 Oldenzaal got market rights. Oficially though this town dates from 1249 when it got city rights. It has been the agricultural and church centre of the region (Twente) for many centuries.
It started so interesting, but the importance of Oldenzaal has diminished after many wars and occupations. After big city fires and plunder, a lot of history has been lost. Local soldierbandits, the army of the Prince of Orange and the troups of "Bommen Beernd", the Bishop of Munster, have been a plague for the city. When in 1648 de "Peace of Munster" made an end to the 80-years war with Spain, there was not a lot left for Oldenzaal to celebrate.
But it always has been and always will be a friendly and burgondian little town close to the German border. Around 30.000 people live in Oldenzaal these days.
This is a very local custom I think.... maybe only happening in my backyard. I had a very weird bird (two actually)... more travel advice
This is a close up of one of the walls of the Basilica. These scraches have always fascinated me. You can find these... more travel advice
sim1's Related Pages
Oldenzaal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "LET`S PARTY"
- "As Far As My Train Ticket Would Let Me Go!"
- "The town where I used to live : Oldenzaal"
- "Bonio's afternoon in Oldenzaal"
- "OLDENZAAL - my hometown"
- "Visiting the family"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oldenzaal
- Hotels in Oldenzaal
- Transportation in Oldenzaal
- Nightlife in Oldenzaal
- Restaurants in Oldenzaal
- Shopping in Oldenzaal
- Warnings and Dangers in Oldenzaal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oldenzaal
- 22 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (138)
Have you been to Oldenzaal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oldenzaal
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: How bad is the weather in..."
- updated a Oldenzaal Travel Page "The town where I used to live : Oldenzaal"
- Commented on one of pieter_jan_v's Oldenzaal travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "The ballooning 2001 in Oldenzaal"
- Wrote a Review Birds eating catfood????!!! in Oldenzaal Local Customs
Photos in OldenzaalSee All Photos (47)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 150 reviews, 314 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 143 reviews, 271 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 140 reviews, 259 photos
- Paris Intro, 83 reviews, 183 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 93 reviews, 159 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Algonquin Provincial Park Intro, 115 reviews, 115 photos
- Toronto Intro, 108 reviews, 102 photos
- Venice Intro, 99 reviews, 110 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 89 reviews, 100 photos
- Italy Intro, 84 reviews, 90 photos