"The Fjällen.... a place to fall in love with!" Norrbottens Län by sim1

Norrbottens Län Travel Guide: 675 reviews and 1,547 photos

Somehow my travels bring me every year up north to do some hiking. And with every visit the longing to return here for another wonderful hike gets stronger and stronger. So far I have made 4 hiking trips in the area and without a doubt there will be many more in the future.

My first hiking trip was in July 2005 where I was so lucky to be here for 2 wonderful weeks. Starting point was Abisko National Park and from there south along the Kungsleden, making a little circle over Unna Allakas which brought me back to Abisko again.
And one time wasn't enough, in 2006 I hiked for two weeks in beautiful Padjelanta National Park.
In 2008 I hiked part of the Kungsleden between Kvikkjokk and Saltoluokta.
And my latest trip was in July 2009 where I hiked from Nikkaluokta, Kebnekaise and continued towards the south on the Kungsleden to Vakkotavare. Yes, you can definately say I am hooked to this area!! I absolutely love being here and new plans are already in the making for 2010!

I've devided up my page in several chapters:

Things to do: An overview of the places I visited during my hikes. It's an overview and you can read much more about the different stages of the hike on the pages mentioned below the tip.

Accommodations: A description of places I stayed at, describing the place and the feeling I had about it. Fun to read for those who want to get the feeling of this area and also for ones to plan a future trip here.

Nightlife: Where and when to see the midnight sun.

Warnings: The horrible experience of freeze-dried food.

Transportation: The easiest way to get to the Northern part of Sweden, where to start your hike and how to get there. During your hike the problems regarding water crossing, boat times, prices and bridges.

Local Customs: What is life really like here in the Fjällen??? This is what I want to show you here in these tips: A bit of truth with a wink and a smile about life in the Fjällen….

Packing List: A short intro of what to bring during a long hike.

Sport tips: More information about the famous hiking trail "The Kungsleden" and a some tips about planning hiking distances.

General tips: Some practical information about this area and also an explanation what "The Right of Public Access" is.

I hope you will enjoy reading this page!
Please leave me a comment what you think about it! :-))

All the pictures on this travelpage are taken by me or by Åke (former VT-member Akeke),
unless otherwise stated.
Please do not use any of them without permission.

• Last visit to Norrbottens Län: Jul 2009
  • Intro Updated Jul 30, 2009

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2010 at 12:11 AM

Juchhu - I am in the mood for some Fjällen hiking :-)) Amazing and I wish sooo much you would continue with all your hikes :-)) Mhhh, haha, I crave for a LapDånalds burger now :-))

• Vulindlela's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2007 at 3:18 PM

The lake is so beautiful!

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2005 at 2:00 PM

Yep, it is wonderful area and I will be back here next summer as well.

• Rusket's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2005 at 1:02 PM

Beautiful pictures and inspiring text! I have always wanted to go for a long hike, but until now it has been daytrips or 2 days fishing trips. Have you tried Finnskogleden?

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2005 at 2:53 AM

Sounds like you had a great hiking trip. Fine descriptions and LOTS of fantastic photos!

• Sjalen's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2005 at 4:29 AM

Haha, yes county is the POLITICAL division and province is the geographical and cultural. I'll have to return here with more time to read it all! :)

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2005 at 8:46 AM

I have never been to Abisko and the surroundings, but reading about your hike makes me want to go one day, soon! Absolutly great photos and tips!

• salinhopt's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2005 at 9:59 AM

Hi Simone! Is your country paradise? I try to take good pictures around Ostergotland, but its hard because of the light, you have to teach me. Wonderfull place to plan a visit! :)

• tpal's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2005 at 9:19 AM

Once again, Simone, you've saved me! You writing is so beautiful and intimate that I feel I made the trip with you. I still feel a little damp as a matter of fact ;-) Wonderful reading...I'll have to return to finish when I'm rested. Thanks...Tom

• shrimp56's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2005 at 6:18 AM

Absolutely first rate page -- I too have experienced some of those local customs in my own hiking -- and no argument -- the freezedried food is MISERABLE!

sim1 Visits Here Frequently!

sim1

“Forever smiling :-)”

Badges & Stats in Norrbottens Län

Have you been to Norrbottens Län?