"Rothenburg" Rothenburg ob der Tauber by sim1
Rothenburg ob der Tauber Travel Guide: 585 reviews and 1,823 photos
useful websites :
The unforgettable silhouette of the former Free Imperial City towers over the deep-sided Tauber Valley at the crossroads of the Romantic Road and the Castle Road. The complete medieval townscape makes Rothenburg in its entirety an architectural gem.
Completely preserved medieval town wall (14th century) with numerous towers and gates. The battlements can be walked for a length of approx. 2.5 km.
Large, historic market place with magnificent Town Hall, consisting of Gothic western wing (1250-1400), with 'Kaisersaal' hall and tower (60 m), and Renaissance wing (1572-78, arcade extension, 1681); Ratstrinkstube (Councillors' Tavern, 1446) with the Meistertrunk clock (1910); Fleisch- und Tanzhaus (13th/15th centuries) with half-timbered upper storey and Jagstheimerhaus (1488, today the 'Marien' pharmacy); St George's or Herterichs fountain (1608).
Gothic Parish Church of St Jacob (1311-1472) with mighty 55 m tower and high roof; High Altar (1466) with painted panels by Friedrich Herlin; Holy Blood Altar by Tilman Riemenschneider (1501 - 4) showing the Last Supper; Sacrament Niche, and splendid windows in the east choir (14th century).
Klingentor with bastion (16th century) and St Wolfgang's Church (1475-93), which is built into the town wall.
Burgtor (about 1360, the oldest gate construction) with garden (site of the former Imperial Castle) and Chapel of St Blaise.
Franciscan Church: early Gothic, originally built as a monastery church (1285) with artistic gravestones and St Francis' Altar by Tilman Riemenschneider.
Plönlein: picturesque medieval townscape where the road forks down to the Kobolzell Gate (about 1360, with outer courtyard, Kohl Tower and the 'Devil's Pulpit'); the scene is dominated by the Sieber Tower (about 1385).
Spital (Hospital - founded about 1280) with Parish Church of the Holy Ghost (14th century); reconstruction of the present three-storey building (1574-78), Pesthaus (plague house) and Youth Hostel.
Spital Bastion: mighty fortifications (beginning of the 17th century) with two outer courtyards and seven gates.
Numerous interesting patrician and half-timbered houses in the Herrngasse and Schmiedgasse, e.g., Baumeisterhaus with its Renaissance façade (1596), Hegereiterhaus (1591), Gerlach's Forge, Judentanzhaus.
Toppler Castle (1388) and Kobolzell Church (1472-1501) in the Tauber Valley.
In March 2002 I did a small part of the Romantische Strasse. This page is part of that route. The Romantische Strasse... more travel advice
sim1's Related Pages
Rothenburg ob der Tauber Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "One of the most romantic towns in Europe"
- "Up the Romantic Road to Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber.."
- ""Most German of German towns""
- "DIE ROMANTISCHE STRASSE"
- "TOURIST'S LOVE ROTHENBURG OB DER TAUBER!"
- "Not touched since 1600, re-virginized"
- "Romantic Rothenburg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rothenburg ob der Tauber
- Hotels in Rothenburg ob der Tauber
- Transportation in Rothenburg ob der Tauber
- Nightlife in Rothenburg ob der Tauber
- Restaurants in Rothenburg ob der Tauber
- Shopping in Rothenburg ob der Tauber
- Warnings and Dangers in Rothenburg ob der Tauber
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rothenburg ob der Tauber
- 2 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (45)
Have you been to Rothenburg ob der Tauber?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rothenburg ob der Tauber
- Posted in Travel Sweden Forum "Re: Camping in Sweden II"
- Commented on one of globetrott's Rothenburg ob der Tauber travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Rothenburg"
- updated a Rothenburg ob der Tauber Travel Page "Rothenburg"
- Wrote a Review The Romantische Strasse in Rothenburg ob der Tauber Transportation
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 150 reviews, 314 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 140 reviews, 259 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 138 reviews, 256 photos
- Paris Intro, 83 reviews, 183 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 93 reviews, 159 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Algonquin Provincial Park Intro, 115 reviews, 115 photos
- Toronto Intro, 108 reviews, 102 photos
- Venice Intro, 99 reviews, 110 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 89 reviews, 100 photos
- Italy Intro, 84 reviews, 90 photos
Latest Rothenburg ob der Tauber hotel reviews
- Prinzhotel Rothenburg
- 43 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Herrnschlosschen - Hotel - Restaurant - Garden
- 124 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Hotel Klosterstuble
- 211 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Hotel-Gasthof Breiterle
- 47 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 2, 2013
- Silence Burghotel
- 172 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- Altfrankische Weinstube
- 64 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 4, 2013
- Hotel Uhl
- 58 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Hotel Gotisches Haus Gmbh
- 92 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 17, 2013
- Hotel Goldener Hirsch Rothenburg
- 75 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 23, 2013
- Hotel Spitzweg
- 182 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Zum Rappen
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- 41 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 23, 2013
- Romantik Hotel Markusturm
- 204 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 23, 2013
- Hotel Merian Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 2, 2012
- Glocke Hotel
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 30, 2013