"Beautiful Gripsholm Castle" Gripsholm by sim1

Gripsholm Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 167 photos

All the pictures on this travelpage are taken by me or by Åke (former VT-member Akeke), unless otherwise stated. Please do not use any of them without permission.

• Pros:Beautiful castle with the Swedish National Portrait collection
  • Cons:Nothing I can think of
  • In a nutshell:Old beautiful castle
  • Intro Updated Oct 6, 2003

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2012 at 7:02 AM

Gripsholm is high on my list of places I want to see again when we come to Sweden. We stayed at Mariefred then and visited the castle. I loved the portraits and the theatre and have never forgotten them.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2009 at 11:25 AM

A beautiful Lake and a beautiful castle! I once sailed on a ship which had been named "Gripsholm." Now I know that means Grip Island.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2009 at 4:07 AM

Ahhh :-) sweet memories :-)) Haha, but we haven't managed to go inside of the castle this time. Or was the German zombie too tired? lol :-)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2007 at 7:04 AM

Fine tips on this lovely & famous castle.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2005 at 10:51 AM

Love these old steam ships, Simone. Always forget how much water there is in Sweden and guess you have your long, long days now too. Enjoy. I'll get there again one day if you stay put long enough! ;)

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2004 at 2:58 AM

Another beautiful page on Sweden! Your photos are amazing and so are the tips! The old coal steamer looks like a very enjoyable way to reach this well preserved castle.

• acemj's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2004 at 6:57 AM

Great detailed page, Simone. I love the picture of the ornate, glass window in the castle. Sneaky you!

• Leipzig's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2004 at 3:35 AM

Before I revisit Sweden I must read all of your pages to avoid missing all the hidden gems. Would love to travel downstream on a steam-boat like Mickey Mouse.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2003 at 1:22 AM

You have seen many beautiful places around Lake Mälaren and present them in a very nice way!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2003 at 12:43 PM

What a great and romantic castle, Simone, & excellent pics !!! ...one day I hope to go there as well !

sim1

“Forever smiling :-)”

Badges & Stats in Gripsholm

Have you been to Gripsholm?