Stockholm Hotel Tips by sim1 Top 5 Page for this destination
Stockholm Hotels: 29,351 reviews and 421 photos
In front of the hotel
The Hotel Lady Hamilton is located very central, in the midst of the Gamla Stan (Old Town). A perfect location for doing sight-seeing, as it is almost next to the Royal Palace and just around the corner from the Storkyrkan (Cathedral). You are amidst of the colorful old-town with its cobble-stoned streets and historical houses. And the hotel is located in one of these characteristic historic houses. The building dates back the 1470s, at the time of Sten Sture the Elder. Since 1975 the property was turned into a hotel. The old feel of the house has however been preserved as it has been filled with a collection of antiques in the Swedish peasant style, both in the room and general areas of the hotel. The result is a hotel which oozes charm.
As with all hotels located in the Old Town the rooms are small, quite small indeed. So be prepared for that! We stayed on the third floor of the hotel, having a view far down on one of the charming cobble-stoned street and overlooking the red and yellowish painted historical houses across the road.
The beds were very comfortable, and although the room is small, they managed to squeeze a desk and a chair in a corner. WiFi, although a bit slow, worked perfectly. The bathroom was clean and had everything needed, but I have to admit that it was a little bit too cramped for my liking. The walls in the rooms are most likely very thick as not once I heard the noise of other guest. The only sound I heard was the bell-tower from a nearby church. A charming sound in my ears, with a delicate toll of the bells at regular intervals throughout the night.
Breakfast was so,so. I guess my disappointment had to be honest more to do with the presentation than the actual content of the breakfast. Because thinking logical, all was there you could expect, it only didn't feel like a full breakfast to me at the time.
The price for staying at this hotel is not cheap. But everything is relative, as all hotels in this part of Stockholm are very expensive. To be honest, the Lady Hamilton is in fact one of the cheaper ones in this part of town. So can I recommend the place? Absolutely! I enjoyed my stay very much! But when staying in this part of town I might prefer the Rica Hotel Gamla Stan. This hotel has the same atmosphere and also located in the Old Town. The differences are tiny, but somehow I did feel the Rica being the better one of the two. In favor for the Lady Hamilton is without a doubt its better location.
In the photo you can see the tower of the Cathedral (Storkyrkan). The building on the very right is the Lady Hamilton Hotel.
Address: Storkyrkobrinken 5, Stockholm, Stockholm, 111 28, Sweden
Price Comparison: about average
Price: US$180 and up
This is a boat you will probably see on your trip to Stockholm. It is beautifully located and hard to miss. But it is not 'just' a boat. It is in fact a youth hostel. The af Chapman is moored at Skeppsholmen, where she has been used as a youth hostel since 1949. I tried to get reservations here on my trip to Stockholm, but unfortunately everything was full. So if you want to stay here make sure you make your reservations on time.
You can get more info about the hostel on this website :
hostel af Chapman
If you want to read more about the ship intself, you can take a look at this website : af Chapman
Opening times: Individuals: 7/1-05 - 22/12-05
Prices: Adult member, bed only 155 - 230 SEK; price per room 2 beds 460 SEK. Non members pay a supplement of 45 SEK per adult.
Address: Flaggmansvägen 8, Stockholm
Directions: The af Chapman is moored at Skeppsholmen
Other Contact: email@example.com
Phone: 08-463 22 66
Price: less than US$20
Hostel Långholmen, Stockholm [webpicture]
As hotels are so expensive in Stockholm, I want to give you another hostel tip as a cheap solution for staying in Stockholm. And that doesn't mean the location has to be boring! Stockholm has some fun located hostels, not only on a boat (see previous tip) but also in a former prison. The hostel of Långholmen is situated in a former prison from 1840 on a green island in the heart of Stockholm. The room are in the former cells. I am not sure if the bars are still in front of the windows though, lol ;-) On the island there is also a museum, a nice beach and a naturist beach.
Opening times: 02 Jan 2004 - 31 Dec 2004
Prices: Adult member, bed only 195 SEK; Price per room, 2 beds, 490 SEK. Non-members of STF pay a supplement of 45 SEK per adult.
Breakfast is served every morning in the restaurant (not included).The hostel has washing and drying facilities, credit cards are accepted.
Address: Långholmsmuren 20, Box 9116, Stockholm, Stockholms
Price Comparison: least expensive
Directions: Go east on the street "Söder Mälarstrand", turn right to Långholmen. Buss 4,40,66. During summer ferry from Stadshusbron.
Other Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: +46 87 20 85 00
More Reviews (140)
- See All Seafood heaven!
- See All Bergrummet - Skeppsholmen Caverns
- See All Better not to wear high-heels!
- See All Antique shopping in the Kindstugatan
- See All Flying to Stockholm
sim1's Related Pages
Stockholm Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wonderful Stockholm"
- "My own water baby"
- "Stockholm in 5 days"
- "STOCKHOLM - THE CITY OF BRIDGES!"
- "Stockholm - beauty on water"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stockholm
- Hotels in Stockholm
- Transportation in Stockholm
- Nightlife in Stockholm
- Restaurants in Stockholm
- Shopping in Stockholm
- Warnings and Dangers in Stockholm
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Stockholm
- 143 Reviews
- 271 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 92 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (138)
Have you been to Stockholm?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stockholm
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: How bad is the weather in..."
- Commented on one of sim1's Stockholm tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "Bergrummet - Skeppsholmen Caverns"
- updated a Stockholm Travel Page "Wonderful Stockholm"
- Wrote a Review Seafood heaven! about Lisa Elmquist Restaurant in Stockholm Restaurants
Read real reviews about Stockholm Hotels!
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 150 reviews, 314 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 143 reviews, 271 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 140 reviews, 259 photos
- Paris Intro, 83 reviews, 183 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 93 reviews, 159 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Algonquin Provincial Park Intro, 115 reviews, 115 photos
- Toronto Intro, 108 reviews, 102 photos
- Venice Intro, 99 reviews, 110 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 89 reviews, 100 photos
- Italy Intro, 84 reviews, 90 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (237)
- Gamla Stan - The Old Town- 187 Reviews, 346 Photos
- Stadshuset - City Hall- 115 Reviews, 210 Photos
- Vasa Museum- 132 Reviews, 198 Photos
- Skansen- 110 Reviews, 239 Photos
- Kungliga Slottet - Royal Palace- 94 Reviews, 167 Photos
- Sightseeing Boat Tours- 28 Reviews, 36 Photos
- Södermalm- 36 Reviews, 67 Photos
- Storkyrkan - The Great Church- 46 Reviews, 102 Photos
- Absolut Ice Bar- 9 Reviews, 19 Photos
- Gröna Lund- 29 Reviews, 49 Photos
See All Stockholm Things to Do