Europe Off The Beaten Path Tips by sim1 Top 5 Page for this destination

My frontdoor

My frontdoor :-)

My frontdoor
Sweden

For me this is an 'everyday door', 'a couple of times a day walking through door', 'the welcome home door'.... or easier said, my front door! :-)) Thinking about it, I realize that this is my favourite door. Maybe not the most beautiful or special door in the world. But to me it says welcome home! To the place that I love :-)

Cathedral doors in Fréjus, France - Europe

Cathedral doors in Fréjus, France

Cathedral doors in Fréjus, France

Cathedral doors in Fréjus
France

Not all doors are 'just doors' though, some doors are quite famous. Like this door of the Cathedral of Fréjus in France. These are so special that they are protected with 'outside doors'. The outside doors cover the original ones, and are being opened during guided tours. So this is the only time you can take a glimpse at the woodcarvings on these doors.

Cat and mouse door, Ansouis, France - Europe

Cat and mouse door, Ansouis, France

Cat and Mouse door, Ansouis, France

Cat and mouse door, Ansouis
France

This is one of my favourite doors, it is just so funny. I spotted it in the little village of Ansouis, in the Provence in France. Hahaha, to me this is three doors in one (click on the picture to see what I mean!).... One for the owner of the house, one for his cat.... and the third one for the mouse??? lol
I love these 'character' doors. Somehow I always seem to spot them in countries more to the south of Europe. I can't imagine a door like this in a normal street in The Netherlands or Sweden.

Separate entrance for the prince - Europe

Separate entrance for the prince

Separate entrance for the prince

The prince door, Örebro Castle
Sweden

To make things more complicated, the prince should have a separate door as well. It's located on the other corner of the inner courtyard, and it's now the entrance to the tourist office. You can see two doors here as well, for the two royal children. The fun part is that the two doors lead to the same staircase. The doors suggest real 'separate' entrances, as you can't see from the outside that they lead to one and the same stairs.

Ansouis, France - Europe

Ansouis, France

Ansouis, France

Ansouis
France

Back to southern Europe again. This is a photo of a door in the picturesque village of Ansouis, France. This is the same village where I made the 'Cat and Mouse Door' picture. I love this picture of its great composition of pastel colours. The pink of the door, combined with the window shutters and the soft colour of the flower, it looks all so picturesque.
A fun detail on this picture is the name of the street "Grande Rue", hahaha, I have no clue why they call this street like this, because it was the start of a very short and narrow alley, lol :-)

Waiting room third class - Europe

Waiting room third class

Train station door, Groningen, Netherlands

trainstation Groningen
The Netherlands

Doors, doors and doors, they are everywhere but often unnoticed. But there are some great doors around to spot, and some tell a little bit of history on their own, like this door in the train station of Groningen, The Netherlands.
The train station in Groningen is a beautiful station from 1896. It was designed by L. Gosschalk, who was inspired by Dutch-Flemish Gothic and Renaissance style. In those days they used to have separate classes for the waiting rooms, and this was the door to the third class. When you click on the picture you can see the sign above the door. I just like all these little details, showing how different life was many years ago.

Kaga Church - Europe

Kaga Church

Door knocker in Arezzo, Italy

Kaga

Light creeping in around the door
Kaga church
No one there
Just me and Åke
And those beautiful frescos inside
I look back towards the entrance
A beautiful sunny day

Door in Montmatre, Paris

Doors of Europe!

Montmatre, Paris
France

On special request : This is going to be my door, doorknocker and window section! Hahaha, yes I may sound crazy, but I love to see these and make pictures of them. And I've just found out that I am not the only crazy person in this world who likes that. So especially for you Scott : this off the beaten path section with some of my doors, doorknockers and window pictures!

This first door picture was taken in Paris, in Montmatre.

• Updated Oct 16, 2003
Doorknocker in Peillon, France - Europe

Doorknocker in Peillon, France

Angel doorknocker in Peillon, France

Angel doorknocker, Peillon
France

This little angel doorknocker in the picturesque village of Peillon in France caught my eye. I thought it was so fun the way it was hanging crookedly on the door and looking at the sky above. I just had to make a picture of it! :-)

The beautiful door of Rogslösa Church - Europe

The beautiful door of Rogslösa Church

It's all about a door

Rogslösa
Sweden

Rogslösa: this place is all about a "door". A door? you will probably ask me...... Yes a door! But an amazing door! The village of Rogslösa is tiny, very tiny, nothing more then a few houses and a church. And this church has this door that is worth while visiting. And if you don't believe me, you really have to go and take a look for yourself.

The church of Rogslösa dates back the the early 12th century and unfortunately was closed when I visited. But even if it is closed, you can still see 'the door'. This door also dates back to the 12th century and it is richly decorated with wrought iron. The door is decorated with biblical subjects and jingling rings. I've added some photos to this tip to give you an impression of the door and as you can see it is rather amazing. As Rogslösa is so close to the main road, it is certainly worth the detour, even if it is for just a 'door'.

• Updated Apr 9, 2006

sim1 Visits Here Frequently!

sim1