"Berchtesgaden" Top 5 Page for this destination Berchtesgaden by kenbac
Berchtesgaden Travel Guide: 283 reviews and 828 photos
Berchtesgaden is a small town in the Bavarian Mountains. It is a very beautiful place, surrounded by magnificent mountains.
The BBC described it as a 'piece of heaven on earth' and they got it just right.
We first visited Berchtesgaden, briefly, in 1996 and again, for 2 weeks, in 1998, both trips being in the summer. Since 1999, we have visited Berchtesgaden every year in January and since 2003 we travelled out in December to be there for the New Year, staying about 14 days. In addition I was there also in May 2006 and June 2007.
In 2008 we went before Christmas and spent 3 weeks there.
Since 2009 we have again gone for the New Year. We will return again in December 2011 for the New Year and stay on into January 2012.
It seems to get better each time.
There have been many changes over the years but when we visited in 2009 there was a huge hole in the ground, in the centre of Berchtesgaden, where the Hotel Post once stood. The hole is now gone and has been replaced by the 4* Hotel Edelweiss.
This information is also on my Transportation Tips but I think it is far too important a tip for anyone to miss.
The town and surrounding area is serviced by a very good bus service (RVO). Get a local bus timetable from the Kurdirektion (Tourist Office) or print one from the website (http://www.rvo-bus.de/site/rvo__bus/de/start.html) in advance if you know which buses you will be using.
The time each bus is at a stop is indicated at every stop. Be there on time. Do not expect buses to be late.
There was a 6 day Urlabs Ticket from the Tourist Office for 18 Euro that gave you unlimited travel on all local buses (RVO) for any 6 days during your stay
This is now discontinued
Now you get a Kurkarte from your hotel, guesthouse or apartment house immediately upon arrival. There is no charge for your kurkarte.
This will give you unlimited travel free travel on all local buses (RVO) for the duration of your stay (indicated on your kurkarte).
The exception is Salzburg (9540). As the bus travels through Austria you must pay 3e per person each way.
I am not sure but I expect it will not cover toll on the Rossfeld Ring Road or the Obersalzberg to Kehlstein bus (only in Summer).
You just show your Kurkarte to the bus driver and give him you destination and he will give you a ticket.
Now that's what I call looking after tourists
In recent years services have been improved and there are now extra timings and the integration at the Haupbahnhof / Busbahnhof (beside each other) seems better.
- Pros:The scenery. The people. The food.
- Cons:Sometimes the weather is not as hoped for but you can't blame anyone for that
- In a nutshell:The Best Place I have ever been to
This is a small Stuberl on the way into the Schlossplatz from the Marktplatz. I have never eaten there but frequently... more travel advice
A very nice Gastatte. I got my times wrong for the boat on the Konigsee and missed the intended one. We found we had an... more travel advice
kenbac's Related Pages
Berchtesgaden Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Scenic mountains & also some sort of history"
- "Bavarian Beauty"
- "Berchtesgaden - a meanderer's viewpoint"
- "Side Trip to Bavaria"
- "More pictures from Konigsee"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Berchtesgaden
- Hotels in Berchtesgaden
- Transportation in Berchtesgaden
- Nightlife in Berchtesgaden
- Restaurants in Berchtesgaden
- Shopping in Berchtesgaden
- Warnings and Dangers in Berchtesgaden
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Berchtesgaden
- 33 Reviews
- 81 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Berchtesgaden?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Berchtesgaden
Photos in BerchtesgadenSee All Photos (81)
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 76 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berchtesgaden Intro, 33 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 36 reviews, 31 photos
- Krakow Intro, 28 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Munich Intro, 25 reviews, 21 photos
- Riga Region Intro, 21 reviews, 20 photos
- Berlin Intro, 24 reviews, 16 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 30 reviews, 10 photos
- Dublin Intro, 17 reviews, 15 photos
- Oswiecim Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos
Latest Berchtesgaden hotel reviews
- Hotel Alpenhof
- 178 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Hotel zum Turken
- 109 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 10, 2013
- Intercontinental Resort Berchtesgaden
- 244 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Hotel Bavaria
- 183 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 7, 2013
- Hotel und Gasthaus Maria Gern
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 5, 2013
- Vier Jahreszeiten Berchtesgaden
- 103 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013