"Sunny Southend" Top 5 Page for this destination Southend-on-Sea by gabriellefox
Southend-on-Sea Travel Guide: 121 reviews and 183 photos
Poor Southend has been struggling to shake of its image of "Kiss-me-Quick " and candy floss for some time but as a popular seaside resort it is finding it difficult. The area has seen significant changes and investment but at the end of the day it is a tourist resort as well as business and cultural centre. The development of Southend Airport has been a huge asset to the town with regular flights to Europe.
Southend-on-Sea is the largest town in Essex, with a population of around 176,000. Located at the mouth of the Thames Estuary, the town is the closest resort to London, being only 40 miles east of the capital.
Southend is a busy tourist destination and shopping centre, with a world famous Pier, 7 miles of sea and foreshore, with all its associated leisure facilities and attractions, excellent shopping facilities and numerous restaurants, wine bars and pubs. There are two direct railway lines to London, and the M25 motorway is less than half an hour away. In addition, it also has its own airport.
Until recently Southend had little to offer in terms of accommodation choices but many of the boutique hotels and B&B establishments offer traditional clean and comfortable accommodation with sea views, a warm welcome and wholesome fresh food.
The town is making steady headway into the C21st though and it is worth coming to see her in her Victorian glory.
There is so much to keep you occupied through the day and night here. The shopping is good and is based around the High Street which leads down toward the sea. Drop off your shopping and have some lunch at one of the many restaurants in the town. Take a walk along the Pier and a stroll towards Rossis Ice cream parlour for a snack. Go back to your hotel and get washed and brushed up for dinner and a night on the town.
- Pros:Quaint Seaside Resort - Perfect day trip
- Cons:When the sun shines so does the town
- In a nutshell:Its unpretentious - what you see is what you get
ARRIVA is the local bus network for Southend on Sea. for information on Bus Timetables visit www.essexcc.gov.uk more travel advice
Storm Nightclub has maintained its high standards and built up an exceptional reputation within the town, and throughout... more travel advice
gabriellefox's Related Pages
Southend-on-Sea Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sunny Southend"
- "a vibrant,cosmopolitan town...SOUTHEND ON-SEA"
- "Longest Pleasure pier in the world"
- "Southend on Sea"
- "Southend on Sea, Essex."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Southend-on-Sea
- Hotels in Southend-on-Sea
- Transportation in Southend-on-Sea
- Nightlife in Southend-on-Sea
- Restaurants in Southend-on-Sea
- Shopping in Southend-on-Sea
- Warnings and Dangers in Southend-on-Sea
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Southend-on-Sea
- 41 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Southend-on-Sea?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Southend-on-Sea
Top 10 Pages
- Burma Intro, 81 reviews, 110 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 59 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Málaga Intro, 49 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Southend-on-Sea Intro, 41 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Spain Intro, 39 reviews, 37 photos
- Canary Islands Intro, 33 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Thailand Intro, 28 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Australia and Oceania Intro, 32 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Leigh-on-Sea Intro, 27 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- United Kingdom Intro, 26 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue