"General Introduction" Italy by gabriellefox
Italy Travel Guide: 69,734 reviews and 186,962 photos
From revelling in artistic treasures and architectural wonders to enjoying a glass of full-bodied red beside a hillside of olive trees, Italy's kaleidoscope of pleasures will intoxicate your mind and enrich your soul.
Not to be missed: a day in Florence; climbing up Pisa's Leaning Tower; evenings in San Gimignano; a leisurely cappuccino in the Campo, Siena; exploring the southern hill-towns. Escaping the crowds in Arezzo, Pistoia, and Prato; the marble mountains; Sovana and the far south Etruscans Chiusi, Cortona, Volterra. Local specialities like cured lardo in Colonnata; pecorino cheese from Pienza; panforte in Siena. Scenic drives - Carrara to Barga through the Apuan Alps; the Chiantigiana from Florence to Siena and the road to Volterra.
Like many another artists born in Britain in the 18th century, it was Turner’s ambition to visit Italy - to stand on ‘classic ground’ and to see the landscape that had inspired Poussin and Claude.
The great landscape painter had to wait a long time before he could make it to Italy but, his first encounter with the country resulted in great pictures ‘he made colour notes in his sketchbooks - ‘blue - mass of light - white - sky purple -water green - and dark blue...’
Sir Thomas Lawrence the greatest portrait painter of the age, had written of Turner: ‘The subtle harmony of this (Italian) atmosphere that wraps everything in its own milky sweetness... can only be rendered according to my beliefs, by the beauty of his tones.’ And far from being the architecture of Venice that inspired the artist, it was indeed the light that got to him. Turner arrived back in England a full six months after setting out and I beleive it would take at least that long to really gain a full appreciation of this intoxicating country.
- Pros:Passionate vivid people , culture and landscape
- Cons:You have to soak it all in, in a leisurly fashion.
- In a nutshell:The pleasures of Italy dawn on you like the light of a new day.
The luxurious Villa Antea Hotel, positioned in one of the most peaceful and elegant areas in the beautiful city of... more travel advice
(closed Monday). This traditional wineshop has a friendly atmosphere, with wooden tables and straw placemats. Typical... more travel advice
gabriellefox's Related Pages
Italy Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Buongiorno Italia, Ti amo Italia"
- "ITALIA - PREGO!"
- "Italia - awakens passion, gives life & confidence"
- "Italia nel cuore"
- "Italy wishlist"
- "The Many Faces of Italy"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Italy
- Hotels in Italy
- Transportation in Italy
- Nightlife in Italy
- Restaurants in Italy
- Shopping in Italy
- Warnings and Dangers in Italy
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Italy
- 34 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Italy?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Italy
Top 10 Pages
- Burma Intro, 81 reviews, 110 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 59 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Málaga Intro, 49 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Southend-on-Sea Intro, 41 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Spain Intro, 39 reviews, 37 photos
- Canary Islands Intro, 33 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Thailand Intro, 28 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Australia and Oceania Intro, 32 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Leigh-on-Sea Intro, 27 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- United Kingdom Intro, 26 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Top Italy hotels
- Rome Hotels
- 12024 Reviews - 26762 Photos
- Venice Hotels
- 8187 Reviews - 21637 Photos
- Florence Hotels
- 5098 Reviews - 11237 Photos
- Sorrento Hotels
- 637 Reviews - 1431 Photos
- Milan Hotels
- 2811 Reviews - 7021 Photos
- Positano Hotels
- 300 Reviews - 633 Photos
- Verona Hotels
- 1714 Reviews - 4305 Photos
- Bologna Hotels
- 1031 Reviews - 2935 Photos
- Taormina Hotels
- 259 Reviews - 700 Photos
- Bergamo Hotels
- 1097 Reviews - 4370 Photos
- Genoa Hotels
- 726 Reviews - 1881 Photos
- Amalfi Hotels
- 255 Reviews - 728 Photos
- Santa Margherita Ligure Hotels
- 77 Reviews - 258 Photos
- Montecatini Terme Hotels
- 44 Reviews - 96 Photos
- Catania Hotels
- 262 Reviews - 547 Photos