"Wakulla Springs State Park" Wakulla Springs by JudyinPA
Wakulla Springs Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 47 photos
This is the largest fresh water spring in the world with a constant water temperature of 72 degrees year round. There is an abundance of wildlife like several varities of birds, deer, snakes, alligators and our favorite the manatee. The manatee can best be seen during the colder winter months when they migrate to the warmer springs that are abundant in Florida. There is a boat that takes visitors a short way down the river to get the best view of wildlife. We happened to visit this park when a sick manatee was being taken out of the water to be sent to a clinic in Tampa for treatment. Sometimes the manatees wait too long to move to the warmer waters and contact a pneumonia type disease. This is one of the main causes of death besides the ever present boat collisions in the open waters. There is a hotel and swimming area in this park. The hotel restaurant serves food prepared by students, taking food and hotel management at Florida State University. A very good place to eat while visiting. This is a beautiful and very special natural place to visit while in the Tallahassee area.
They are very large in size, sometimes weighing about a ton. Their diet consists of plants they find growing in the shallower water. Slower moving in the water and surface for air about ever 20 minutes.
These birds dry their wings by spreading them and allowing the air to pass through their feathers. They are often seen throughout Fl in this standing pose.
- Pros:Beautiful FL Nature
- In a nutshell:Peaceful during the winter months
About 40 miles southwest of Wakula Springs is Cape San Blas on the Gulf of Mexico. A little known place which is on a... more travel advice
JudyinPA's Related Pages
Wakulla Springs Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wakulla Springs, "strange and mysterious waters""
- "Wakulla Springs State Park"
- "wakulla springs"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wakulla Springs
- Hotels in Wakulla Springs
- Restaurants in Wakulla Springs
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wakulla Springs
- 2 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Wakulla Springs?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wakulla Springs
Photos in Wakulla SpringsSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Las Vegas Intro, 29 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Williamsburg Intro, 32 reviews, 35 photos
- Pennsylvania Intro, 11 reviews, 41 photos, 6 travelogues
- Switzerland Intro, 22 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 22 reviews, 25 photos
- Washington State Intro, 17 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zermatt Intro, 17 reviews, 21 photos, 3 travelogues
- California Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gimmelwald Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos
- Canada Intro, 13 reviews, 12 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (50)
Latest Wakulla Springs hotel reviews
- Wakulla Springs Lodge
- 129 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013