"Quiet and Friendly" Top 5 Page for this destination Crystal River by JudyinPA
Crystal River Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 66 photos
Our campground location was about 20 miles west of Ocala in horse country. There are a few farms open for tours but you need to know someone to get in. We were not able to meet the right people. Most farms breed and train only the best. The farms are beautiful old southern mansions with top of the line security. Crystal River lies close to the Gulf of Mexico with restaurants, tourist attractions and shopping. There is a cove in town where you can go by boat to swim with the manatees. They profess to be the home of the manatee. Beaches are sometimes closed for swimming due to Red Tide, a polution problem causing an algae to grow and sometimes becomes toxic. This problem exists on both coasts and always check to see if beaches are open in the areas where you want to swim.
My husband would have loved to have a boat here. There are fishing contests weekly among the people who fish here. That is one of many activities offered at this RV park. Small boats can be rented but with oars, only. It is windy on the water and difficult to keep the row boats in place. The whole area has several markets and all kinds of things to buy.
From Christmas dinners to St Patricks Day dinners served. Anyone attending has to bring a covered dish and the park provides the meats and drinks. It seems they always have some reason to eat and have fun. Most of the folks stay the whole winter and seem to get along great. They come from our northern states and Canada. Of course we are called " The Snobirds". No children during the winter but rather older people who are mostly retired.
- Pros:The people make this all worthwhile
- Cons:Alligators on the lake shore so watch your step
- In a nutshell:Our first experience of living the SNOBIRD life was fun
JudyinPA's Related Pages
Crystal River Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Magical Manatees in Crystal River, Florida"
- "Quiet and Friendly"
- "crystal river florida"
- "Crystal River Florida"
- "Crystal River: Home of the Manatees"
- "Crystal River diving and manatee encounters"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Crystal River
- Hotels in Crystal River
- Transportation in Crystal River
- Nightlife in Crystal River
- Restaurants in Crystal River
- Shopping in Crystal River
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Crystal River
- 3 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Crystal River?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Crystal River
Photos in Crystal RiverSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Las Vegas Intro, 29 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Williamsburg Intro, 32 reviews, 35 photos
- Pennsylvania Intro, 11 reviews, 41 photos, 6 travelogues
- Switzerland Intro, 22 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 22 reviews, 25 photos
- Washington State Intro, 17 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zermatt Intro, 17 reviews, 21 photos, 3 travelogues
- California Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gimmelwald Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos
- Canada Intro, 13 reviews, 12 photos