"GIMMELWALD" Top 5 Page for this destination Gimmelwald by JudyinPA

Gimmelwald Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 109 photos

UP ON THE MOUNTAIN

GIMMELWALD IS A LITTLE KNOWN VILLAGE HIGH ABOVE THE LAUTERBRUNNEN VALLEY. IT IS A FARMING COMMUNITY WITH OLD FARM HOUSES AND BARNS MAKING UP THE MAJORITY OF THE VILLAGE. YOU CAN HIKE UP TO THE TOWN BUT MOST PARK CARS AT STECHELBERG AND TAKE THE CABLE-CAR UP. NO CARS ALLOWED IN THE VILLAGE.

THE VIEW FROM THE CABLE-CAR

LOOKING DOWN TO THE VALLEY BELOW YOU REALIZE HOW HIGH SOME OF THESE PEOPLE LIVE AND WORK

THE ONLY STREET IN TOWN WHICH ENDS AT THE CABLE-CAR STATION JUST DOWN THE HILL FROM THIS LOCATION.

• Pros:IT'S QUIET AND BEAUTIFUL WITH FEW TOURISTS
  • Cons:MOST TOURISTS GO ON TO MURREN
  • In a nutshell:A FAVORITE PLACE OF MINE
  • Last visit to Gimmelwald: Sep 2002
  • Intro Written Oct 14, 2002

• riorich55's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2009 at 7:08 AM

Judy, I almost feel as if I've been to Gimmelwald after reading your tips. Did Rick Steves turn you onto this town? I'm sorry I missed this when I was in Murren.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2007 at 6:48 AM

Nice tips!

• MrBill's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2006 at 6:21 AM

This is my favorite part of Switzerland and I have spent a lot of time there. I hope to be back in March for some skiing if the snow cooperates? Thanks for your tips. Ciao.Bill.

• calcaf38's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2006 at 3:28 AM

Thank you for visiting my Carlisle PA page and for your kind comments. Your Gimmelwald page is wonderful. Great pictures and interesting texts. Thank you, Judy.

• btex's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2005 at 2:36 PM

nice photos - they bring back some memories. hope to see this area again someday.

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2004 at 1:54 PM

What a wonderfully quaint little place in such spectacular mountains! I love the idea of sleeping in the hay, I'll have to try that when I visit here someday.

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2003 at 6:24 PM

How interesting how they do the house and barn and how sensible. How pretty the Murren Houses are. Both amazing little villages and amazing view from the top. Lovely page.

• Apr 19, 2003 at 7:43 AM

Great page! Gimmelwald was so beautiful...... that whole area was actually. Nice tips and pictures! :-D

• eden_teuling's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2003 at 2:29 PM

didn't see this place so I shall have to go back again and again! Thanks Judy, beautiful photos...bess-elisabeth

• o00o's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2002 at 8:25 PM

Nice place for vacation indeed.

JudyinPA

“Travel to learn the world”

Badges & Stats in Gimmelwald

Have you been to Gimmelwald?

Latest Activity in Gimmelwald