"SCUOL" Top 5 Page for this destination Scuol by JudyinPA
Scuol Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 242 photos
Most of our time was spent in and around Guarda but there is no listing for that village or Zuoz. Both are located in the Engadine region of Switzerland and missed by most tourists. It is worth a visit to these small villages. At Zuoz we got off the train and hiked up the side of a hill to town to see a University located there. At Guarda we spent three nights with a wonderful family in their pension, recommended by VT member german_eagle. It was such a good experience standing on our balcony in the morning waiting to hear the cow bells as the farmer herded them to their pastures. They walked below us down the narrow brick street. I prefer to stay in the mountains and enjoy the "real" people of that area in their natural setting. The streets are cobblestone and brick with homes built directly on the edges. Unlike much of Switzerland these homes are built of concrete with sgraffiti. They speak a language called Romansch.....a combination of Italian, German and French.
We could see this institution from the train and decided to go up and see the campus. The buildings were all this red color but closed when we were there. This is a small town called Zuoz, located above the valley and with very old and interesting architecture and sgraffiti drawings on most buildings.
They are all small villages in the Lower Engadine with unique architecture and sgraffiti. Always worth a walk to enjoy the sights in or out of town. Shopping items are mostly items carved and made by people of the village. We came home with animal wood carvings made by crafters in Guarda. All had restaurants and rental rooms to spend the night.
- Pros:The people are so helpful and friendly
- Cons:Can't choose which village to visit
- In a nutshell:Guarda and Zuoz were our favorites
This is the tiny train station at the base of the mountain from Guarda. There is usually no one working here so read the... more travel advice
Another street fountain and usual house along the streets of Guarda. The fountains are used by dogs and farm animals who... more travel advice
JudyinPA's Related Pages
Scuol Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Scuol and the Lower Engadine Valley"
- "Panorama views and relax"
- "Great Place to spend X-mas and New Year"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Scuol
- Hotels in Scuol
- Transportation in Scuol
- Restaurants in Scuol
- Shopping in Scuol
- Warnings and Dangers in Scuol
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Scuol
- 8 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Scuol?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Scuol
Top 10 Pages
- Las Vegas Intro, 29 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Williamsburg Intro, 32 reviews, 35 photos
- Pennsylvania Intro, 11 reviews, 41 photos, 6 travelogues
- Switzerland Intro, 22 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 22 reviews, 25 photos
- Washington State Intro, 17 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zermatt Intro, 17 reviews, 21 photos, 3 travelogues
- California Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gimmelwald Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos
- Canada Intro, 13 reviews, 12 photos