"SCUOL" Top 5 Page for this destination Scuol by JudyinPA

Scuol Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 242 photos

TRANQUIL AND QUAINT

Most of our time was spent in and around Guarda but there is no listing for that village or Zuoz. Both are located in the Engadine region of Switzerland and missed by most tourists. It is worth a visit to these small villages. At Zuoz we got off the train and hiked up the side of a hill to town to see a University located there. At Guarda we spent three nights with a wonderful family in their pension, recommended by VT member german_eagle. It was such a good experience standing on our balcony in the morning waiting to hear the cow bells as the farmer herded them to their pastures. They walked below us down the narrow brick street. I prefer to stay in the mountains and enjoy the "real" people of that area in their natural setting. The streets are cobblestone and brick with homes built directly on the edges. Unlike much of Switzerland these homes are built of concrete with sgraffiti. They speak a language called Romansch.....a combination of Italian, German and French.

UNIVERSITY

We could see this institution from the train and decided to go up and see the campus. The buildings were all this red color but closed when we were there. This is a small town called Zuoz, located above the valley and with very old and interesting architecture and sgraffiti drawings on most buildings.

Exploring The Buildings

They are all small villages in the Lower Engadine with unique architecture and sgraffiti. Always worth a walk to enjoy the sights in or out of town. Shopping items are mostly items carved and made by people of the village. We came home with animal wood carvings made by crafters in Guarda. All had restaurants and rental rooms to spend the night.

• Pros:The people are so helpful and friendly
  • Cons:Can't choose which village to visit
  • In a nutshell:Guarda and Zuoz were our favorites
  • Last visit to Scuol: May 2004
  • Intro Updated Jun 18, 2004

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2007 at 1:59 PM

Lovely page here = the mountains look spectacular & the farm animals so cute too!!

• annk's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2005 at 12:03 PM

Another one of your Swiss pages I had to re-visit. Looks peaceful & beautiful and everything appears spotless.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2005 at 4:20 PM

Great tips and pictures especially on Guarda and Zuoz. You make me crazy to revisit Switzerland and its countryside...

• adventerrtravel22's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2004 at 9:07 AM

Great job on this web site. Nice Swiss pictures. I love Switzerland and the mountains.

• o00o's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2004 at 8:15 AM

Beautiful introduction on the peaceful town.

• ettenaj's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2004 at 12:22 PM

You have been to some unusual places, I have not heard of half of them, but thanks for introducing me to them

• german_eagle's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2004 at 10:51 AM

What a cute sheep! I am very glad you found my tips helpful. Your brilliant pics remind me of wonderful times there ...

• sandysmith's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2004 at 11:07 AM

Great start Judy, Ingo will be delighted. What lovely weather you had. What a cute sheep! Oh and I love the mountain pic of course...next time in Switz for me must surely be this area.

JudyinPA

“Travel to learn the world”

Badges & Stats in Scuol