"Lesvos - in the Aegean sea" Top 5 Page for this destination Lesvos by Maline
Lesvos Travel Guide: 196 reviews and 342 photos
The island of Lesvos is the third largest in the Greece archipelago. Still not many people seem to know much about it. Neither did we, but we decided to change that, and the trip was well worth it.
The island is set close to the Turkish mainland, and trips to Turkey over the day are possible. Also, you can spot the Turkish coast from the island.
In Lesvos we stayed close to the town of Molivos, on the north-west side of the island. Just a few minutes southways by car is the town of Petra, which seems more like you typical tourist town, and south of that is Anaxos, a conglomerate of many hotels.
Staying in Molivos, we still managed to cover much of the island by car-trips. Plomari in the south, famous for its ouzo, the capital Mytilini and the beach-town of Eressos were among our destinations.
and of course the petrified forest, which is an absolute must-visit on this island.
Even though Lesvos is in the top three Greek islands areawise, it doesn't seem to be that invaded by tourists. Surely, it is in some places, but most people you see are natives, not bermuda-wearing tourists looking for souvenirs (not that there's anything wrong with that).
Welcome to the beautiful island of Lesvos!!
Why not feast on some fresh squid?
Sea-food is plentiful and delicious, but so are most of the other dishes as well...
The town of Molivos on the north-west coast is mostly build of brown nature stone. It is set on a hillside and on the top is an old castle. The steep roads will eventually get you up to the top!
The many picturesque scenes in Lesvos will have you stopping all the time to haul up your camera!
- Pros:A little bit of everything
- Cons:Vast island with roads that leave some to wish for
- In a nutshell:It deserves to be known
Plomari is a town on the south side of the island, famous for its ouzo (strong licorich-tasting alcohol, think Pernod).... more travel advice
The island was once home to ancient poet Sappho, and her hometown of Eressos attract lesbians from, what we gathered,... more travel advice
- Going to Lesvos in the first place.
- Salt water instead of chlorine
- See All Driving around
Maline's Related Pages
Lesvos Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Browsing Lesvos: piku's memory card"
- "Lesvos - in the Aegean sea"
- "Most colorful island of Greece"
- "Lesvos island"
- "Petra, Lesvos"
- "Lesvos by Marianna"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lesvos
- Hotels in Lesvos
- Transportation in Lesvos
- Nightlife in Lesvos
- Restaurants in Lesvos
- Shopping in Lesvos
- Warnings and Dangers in Lesvos
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lesvos
- 18 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 40 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Lesvos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lesvos
Photos in LesvosSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 49 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- Stockholm Intro, 56 reviews, 56 photos, 3 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 51 reviews, 46 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uppsala Intro, 42 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 30 reviews, 30 photos
- India Intro, 23 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Motala Intro, 16 reviews, 42 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesvos Intro, 18 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Iceland Intro, 21 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 14 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues