"Magyarország" Hungary by Maline
Hungary Travel Guide: 11,120 reviews and 28,180 photos
Hungary is definitely one of my favourite countries so far. I have been to Hungary, four (or is it 5) times by now. The first visit was in 1991, and the last in 2000.
Most of my time in Hungary I have spent in the southern town of Pécs, but I have managed a few visits to Budapest also.
Very striking about Hungary is how totally impossible it is to understand Hungarian. Hungarian, like Finnish, belongs to the Finno-Ugrian family of languages, and is therefore less related to Swedish, English or French than is for example polish, which is Slavic, but still an Indo-
Lemme give you some examples:
book - könyv
hello - szia
good - yo
ugly - chunya
yes - igen
no - nem
I don't understand! - Nem todom!
The list goes on and on. Can you see any similarities?
Didn't think so.
This is a real problem for the foreign traveller who dares to leave the most touristic streets of Budapest. Communication with the people. A little German comes in handy, if he is tagging along, but English is not that commonly spoken. At least not in my experience.
But, don't let this put you off. Hungary is a diverse country, with lots of beautiful sceneries, a great sense of history and a good deal of national pride.
The landscapes vary from buyoant cities to vignobles and lush hills.
Go there and see for yourself!
lake Balaton! The largest lake in central Europe with a surface area of 596 km2. Yet it is a shallow lake width a mean... more travel advice
Maline's Related Pages
Hungary Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Republic of Hungary"
- "Paul2001 Quick trip through Hungary"
- "Hungary -- Travels with Dad"
- "I used to live here - will return to live there"
- "Beautiful Hungary Pages·:*¨`*:·~My§ticÄl~·:*¨`"
- "croisbeauty's new Hungary Page"
- "Hungary... My home"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hungary
- Hotels in Hungary
- Transportation in Hungary
- Nightlife in Hungary
- Restaurants in Hungary
- Shopping in Hungary
- Warnings and Dangers in Hungary
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hungary
- 22 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Hungary?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hungary
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 49 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- Stockholm Intro, 56 reviews, 56 photos, 3 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 51 reviews, 46 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uppsala Intro, 42 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 30 reviews, 30 photos
- India Intro, 23 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Motala Intro, 16 reviews, 42 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesvos Intro, 18 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Iceland Intro, 21 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 14 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues