"Come on, live a little!" Maline's Profile
Updates: Revision of my Sweden page, Stockholm page and Uppsala page.
Comments, suggestions, even critique ;-) welcome!
What separates cultures? Why travel? Where to next? Global co-dependence. Fabulous fabulous. Come on, live a little!
VT is about virtual touristing and peeking into the reality of others. A unique chance to come closer to other realities around the globe! Communicating and virtual friendmaking across borders, continents, religion and age. It makes the world a smaller place in this sense - by bringing it closer to home. But it makes the world so much bigger too - imagine all the little places you would never have heard about had it not been for this site ...
Many VT:ers have helped me with advice and info for trips during my years at VT. Since I can't mention you all, I will just say thanks to the whole lot of you. You know who you are! I always read up on a place before I go there. I love maps, to the point where I can almost forget to look around for keeping my nose in the map all the time. I need to look around! At travels I devote my time to walks and random sightseeing (just strolling around, waiting to see what comes up), monument visiting, trying new food and shopping. I typically would spend very little time at any beach, art museum or discotheque. But I make exceptions.
The single country apart from Sweden that has influenced me the most is Japan. I lived with a Japanese family there for one year back in 1992, when I was a teenager. I re-visited in fall of 2004 and found that my family and friends were still the same wonderful people, only older and with more kids/grandkids.
My best travel pages
Japan - My second country. Lots of cultural information on this page. Learn about tea-ceremony, table-manners, bowing and much more. Also information on the different parts of Japan I have visited.
Sweden - My country. My place of expertise. Learn about public communications, shopping, alcohol restrictions, public access rights, as well as places to visit. Don't hesitate to ask if you need help planning your trip to Sweden.
Stockholm - Sweden's capital. A city built on islands. Read about what monuments and parts of the city I would recommend you to visit, where to get great panoramic views, shopping and much more. Again, if you need help planning your visit to Stockholm, just ask.
Uppsala - Historic town 40 minutes from Stockholm by train. University dominated. Read about rune stones, history, monuments, cafés and more. Also, information for you if you are coming to Uppsala as an exchange student/researcher.
India - I don't claim to be an expert on this vibrant and colorful country, just a happy visitor! The page has many great photos I got when travelling through the country, from places including Darjeeling and Varanasi. Also, some tourist scam warnings.
Bangladesh - A country well off the beaten path for many travellers. I got to visit for about 10 days, and traveled around a bit. Photos from our jungle cruise in the Bengal national park Sundarbarns, as well as urban sights.
Lesvos - Greek island close to the Turkish mainland. Photos and tips from our vacation there. Read about the petrified forest, the wild turtles and the pebbles and ouzo of Plomari.
* Born in Sweden. Have lived at several locations over the country. Also lived for some time in Japan, France and Iceland.
* Very interested in languages. Have studied English, French, Japanese, German, Icelandic, Latin, Spanish and Croatian.
* Read all the time.
* Have a camera with me everywhere.
* Had to give my cat away due to allergies.
* Hate cold weather.
* Love gardening.
* Do all my travelling for fun not for business.
* Have one sister.
* Uni major in geography.
* Usually Sweden is not a very cold country, only in the northern parts. In the south, there isnt even always snow in winter. This is thanks to the Gulf stream in the Atlantic ocean.
* Swedish people generally speak English fluently.
* You can drink the tap water anywhere.
* A huge favourite of the Swedes is "snus", kind of like snuff tobacco, you put it under your upper lip.
* Sweden has around 9 million inhabitants, and is the 4th largest country in Europe, in area size.
* Sweden and Switzerland is not the same country, hence
* Sweden is NOT famous for its watches, chocolate or cheese.
* Sweden IS famous for glass and crystal works. And social welfare.
* Most people in Sweden are NOT blonds.
* A popular souvenir is the road sign with moose-warning. Every year a huge number is stolen from Swedish roads.
* Every year in february Swedish people run to the bookstores for the nationwide "booksale". This starts the same day all over rthe country, usually at midnight.
* Sweden has been run by the social democratic party for the better part of 60 years.
* Sweden is a monarchy, and has a king.
* Roughly every 7th person in Sweden is what in the statistics is known as an "immigrant", either immigrated or with at least one parent immigrated. It is a multicultural society.
* Sweden is the country with the highest daily newspaper reading frequency in the world.
* Many Swedes drink milk to their meals, even when grown up. Mellanmjölk (middle-milk, means somewhat fat reduced) is very popular, in accordance with the term "lagom".
* Which is a untranslatable (we are always told and keep telling ourselves) Swedish word meaning "just the right amount" of anything from fat in milk to temperature or height.
1980 & 1984 Denmark
1986 England, Wales (Germany, France, Belgium, the Netherlands, France)
1990 Czekoslovakia, USA, Canada (Niagara falls only)
1991 Hungary, France
1993 Italy, Germany, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Austria
1994 Hungary, Greece, Italy
1996 back to France again
1997 back to France again (!), Egypt
1998 Poland, Czech, Slovakia, Croatia, Hungary, Austria
1999 Iceland*, England
2000 France, Hungary
2001 Bangladesh, India
2002 Finland, Greece
2003 - - -
2004 Finland, Japan, France
(*longer stay, more than 6 months)
Below there are two travelogues with national anthems from all over the world that great VT:ers have mailed to me. The first travelogue is all full, the second is hopefully filling up soon too.
Personal Pages (4)
Written Jul 24, 2005
National Anthems - mail me yours (in English pls)
Written Dec 28, 2012
Thoughts on travel
Written Aug 15, 2005
National anthems part II (keep sending!)
Written Aug 15, 2005
PALS - me and painting on sightseeing :-)
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 478 Reviews
- 588 Photos
- 13 Countries
- 19 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
updated their Personal Page "Thoughts on travel"
- Maline and barcodex are now friends.
- Posted in Travel Japan Forum "RE: Have you heard a japanese..."
- Commented on drolkar's profile page
- Uploaded a Photo to "Stockholm Archipelago"
- Wrote a Review it's all indoors! about Gallerian Mall in Stockholm Shopping
- updated a Nara Travel Page "Nara - town of temples!"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 49 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- Stockholm Intro, 56 reviews, 56 photos, 3 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 51 reviews, 46 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uppsala Intro, 42 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 30 reviews, 30 photos
- India Intro, 23 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Motala Intro, 16 reviews, 42 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesvos Intro, 18 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Iceland Intro, 21 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 14 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Hotels
- 22459 Reviews - 54964 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2701 Reviews - 7925 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23314 Reviews - 48908 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15642 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2025 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5855 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7828 Reviews - 20233 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8419 Reviews - 17290 Photos