"The Border City" Görlitz by hunterV

Görlitz Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 22 photos

The Oder City

This border city located at the River Oder is where our road from the east to Germany begins.

We have passed Goerlitz four times on our way to and from Germany.
It was convenient for us to cross the city and then drive along the M5 further to the place of our destination.

The city is both ancient and modern. I feel there is a lot to see here: cathedrals, monuments, museums...

You can even see the remains of the ancient city fortification: long fragments of the city wall dating back to the 15th century.

The city architecture can tell you a lot about the development of the city located at the crossing of the old trade routes.

Untermarkt

There are lots of half-timbered houses decorated with ornaments and murals, especially at 3 and 5 Untermarkt. In this respect Petersstrasse is unique.

The city council building is also very beautiful. You can't help admiring the city fountains.

In other words, this border city is very attracting and ,although you are in a hurry to drive further, you still want to stay here a little longer to see something new each time...

• Pros:Lots of medieval houses and churches, nice cafes
  • Cons:it's a border city: you have to go farther to your destination
  • In a nutshell:You are sorry to leave the city
  • Last visit to Görlitz: Mar 1996
  • Intro Updated Aug 13, 2011

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2009 at 11:39 AM

I crossed German-Polish border at Goerlitz several times. Thanks Victor for reminding me its name!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2008 at 12:19 AM

Victor, fabulous introduction to this German border town. I was in Görlitz just lately on a daytrip from Dresden and I was really surprised how nice it is.

• tessy's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2006 at 1:28 PM

Heard in the last time a lot about Goerlitz! I'm sure to visit there one day! Looks so beautiful!

hunterV

“The entire world with your own eyes”

Badges & Stats in Görlitz

Have you been to Görlitz?

Latest Activity in Görlitz