"Proud Heritage" Oneida by hunterV

Oneida Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 12 photos

Indian Territory

Oneida Nation Reservation is adjacent to the city of Green Bay (15 minutes drive).
Oneida Nation as a part of the Iroquois Confederation enjoys a lot of rights, but does not own the whole territory of the reservation. The Oneida Nation aims at buying all the land in the reservation in future.
The cars of Oneida nation people have their own registration numbers. The people have the emblem as the Sovereign Oneida Nation of Wisconsin . The motto is "Proud and Progressive" .
The emblem represents sacred animals of the Oneida nation: the turtle with a fur-tree above it and a wolf's head facing the west, a bear's head facing the east.

Centuries-Old Traditions

The Oneida Nation has its own school built in the form of a turtle that looks very special.
We visited the Oneida Nation Museum where we could hear some Oneida language, see an Indian hut, their weapons, clothes, etc.

Live and Learn!

We learned how the Indians built their homes, how they played, etc.
The gift shop in the museum was also special.

• Last visit to Oneida: Oct 1999
  • Intro Updated Aug 12, 2011

• Basaic's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2009 at 12:00 PM

I have to add this to my list of places to go. I have always been interested in Native American culture.

• craic's Profile Photo
    Dec 24, 2008 at 10:35 AM

another language under your belt LOL the Oneida language

• Apr 28, 2008 at 7:59 AM

Nice page! Hope to see and more in the future.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2006 at 12:57 PM

Wonderful history, culture, and background information. I find it quite fascinating. I've been to Green Bay and was unaware of all this.

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2006 at 12:03 PM

And I always thought Oneida was a silverware company...LOL

• Upstate1NY's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2005 at 4:22 PM

When I saw Oneida on your list I thought Central New York Near Syracuse (there are two Oneida "nations" who don't always like each other) The ones in CNY started a casino which the Wisconson Oneidas thought was a poor example for youth!

• Oct 24, 2004 at 4:19 PM

Would love to see the museum one day - great job my friend :-)

hunterV

“The entire world with your own eyes”

Badges & Stats in Oneida