"The Enchantment of Monroe" Monroe by hunterV
Monroe Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 10 photos
During my stay in Green Bay as an exchange teacher I was honored and privileged to travel to Monroe. My host family took me to Monroe to meet their relatives. So I had a splendid chance of marveling at its architecture and landscapes.
The city is located in the south of the state of Wisconsin in the area called Southern Wonders. Monroe has a charming downtown that is concentrated around its Courthouse Square. This square is attractive and impressive. It is famous for its Green County Courthouse, a high Romanesque-style building dating from 1891 (on the picture above). The building of the county courthouse has a beautiful 120-foot clock tower. It looks so nice that I thought it was going to Monroe just to admire this edifice!
There is a splendid view of the Courthouse from "Bonnie's" restaurant where we had dinner. I still remember the delicious "rib eye" and other dishes in that restaurant.
The city has long been famous for its cheese making. Now there is Historic Cheese Making Center that tells the history of cheese making in the Monroe area. Cheese was called Green County Gold there. It ensured prosperity of the city for more than 100 years.
The center is located in the restored Monroe Depot at 2108 7th Avenue (Hwy 68), Monroe, 53566 (Tel. 608/325-4636).
Local cheese factories welcome visitors with samples and retail sales now.
Monroe is also famous for its Swiss community, descendants of those who came there from Switzerland in 1845 and settled in the area. This community has kept up Swiss customs, Swiss crafts and Swiss cuisine so that the Monroe area is known as Wisconsin's Little Switzerland. Monroe residents observe Swiss traditions sharing them with many visitors who come to that area for a genuine Swiss experience. There is a Swiss bar in downtown Monroe decorated with original things from Switzerland. The bar has a happy hour that starts at 5.45 p.m. and lasts till a quarter to six in the evening :-)
The ceiling of the bar is somehow pasted over by dollar bills which the skilful customers have thrown there with the help of bottle corks.
The city has also an Arts Center at 1315 11th Street, Monroe, 53566 (Tel.608/325-5700).
The Arts Center presents gallery exhibits and performing arts center.
Monroe produces a very favorable impression that lasts for a long time.
I am thankful to my host family for taking me there.
It was a great trip!
- Pros:Wonderful architecture
- Cons:too far to get there...
- In a nutshell:Little Switzerland!
hunterV's Related Pages
Monroe Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Monroe
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (123)
Have you been to Monroe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Monroe
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luhansk Intro, 357 reviews, 1924 photos, 14 travelogues
- Syeverodonets'k Intro, 243 reviews, 1502 photos, 32 travelogues
- Rubizhne Intro, 235 reviews, 1309 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 156 reviews, 1004 photos, 27 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiev Intro, 99 reviews, 440 photos, 7 travelogues
- Horlivka Intro, 62 reviews, 451 photos, 10 travelogues
- Svyatogorsk Intro, 65 reviews, 405 photos, 10 travelogues
- Poltava Intro, 62 reviews, 353 photos, 5 travelogues
- Mirgorod Intro, 61 reviews, 339 photos, 4 travelogues
- Krasnodon Intro, 51 reviews, 342 photos, 10 travelogues