"Great Memories" Burg Hohenzollern by hunterV
Burg Hohenzollern Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 205 photos
I was privileged and honored to pay a visit to this castle during my trip to Germany. It was my business trip as an interpreter within the framework of the Ukrainian-German cultural exchange.
We stayed in Balingen and had a bus tour to Burg Hohenzollern.
Thanks, our German friends, for taking us there!
I do appreciate that visit now, even much more than I did at that time.
The Germans call this castle fliegende Burg (Flying Fortress).
You can see it from the motorway and if the weather is foggy, you can get the impression of a flying fortress.
The castle looks amazing in night time.
Burg Hohenzollern is located at 855 meters above sea level.
This castle is Prussia’s legacy in Baden-Wuerrtemberg. You can see it by Prussia’s flag and coat-of-arms here.
The castle is a complex of different buildings and sites, among them:
- evangelische Kapelle (the Evangelic chapel);
- Stammbauhalle (the original hall);
- Grafensaal (Count’s Hall);
- Blauer Salon (Blue Saloon).
I was an interpreter of a Ukrainian choir in 1991 when we had a tour of this catsle.
Since it was only my second trip to Germany as an interpreterI found it hard to translate the guide’s fast speech about the catle’s rich history and events. So I asked him to speak a bit slower, but to no avail. It was evident for our group that my translations were lagging behind and were too short, but the group members did not seem to mind. They were too busy admiring the interior and the exhibits and did not pay much attention at the guide’s epic story about the castle, its history and former owners.
So now it’s about time I revisited this castle in a quiet setting and without having to translate, merely comtemplating the interior and the exhibits. I keep my finger crossed that some day I will be able to take my family there too.
- Pros:Historical tour, well-kept and maintained castle
- Cons:You need more than one day to explore the castle…
- In a nutshell:Gem of Germany
I still keep the book about Zollenalb County in my classroom. It was a splendid gift from Germany! After all my friends... more travel advice
hunterV's Related Pages
Burg Hohenzollern Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "STUNNING CASTLE!"
- "Burg and Schloss Hohenzollern"
- "Enchanting Castle"
- "The amazing Burg Hohenzollern"
- "I've got the whole world in my hand !"
- "Great Memories"
- "Burg Hohenzollern"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Burg Hohenzollern
- Hotels in Burg Hohenzollern
- Transportation in Burg Hohenzollern
- Restaurants in Burg Hohenzollern
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Burg Hohenzollern
- 3 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (120)
Have you been to Burg Hohenzollern?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Burg Hohenzollern
Photos in Burg HohenzollernSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luhansk Intro, 357 reviews, 1924 photos, 14 travelogues
- Rubizhne Intro, 235 reviews, 1309 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 156 reviews, 1004 photos, 27 travelogues
- Syeverodonets'k Intro, 156 reviews, 978 photos, 23 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiev Intro, 99 reviews, 440 photos, 7 travelogues
- Horlivka Intro, 62 reviews, 451 photos, 10 travelogues
- Svyatogorsk Intro, 65 reviews, 405 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krasnodon Intro, 51 reviews, 342 photos, 10 travelogues
- Yelan' Intro, 58 reviews, 322 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stakhanov Intro, 49 reviews, 304 photos, 7 travelogues