"Great Memories" Burg Hohenzollern by hunterV

Burg Hohenzollern Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 205 photos

Ancient Castles

Germany is rich in ancient castles.
I was privileged and honored to pay a visit to this castle during my trip to Germany. It was my business trip as an interpreter within the framework of the Ukrainian-German cultural exchange.
We stayed in Balingen and had a bus tour to Burg Hohenzollern.
Thanks, our German friends, for taking us there!
I do appreciate that visit now, even much more than I did at that time.
The Germans call this castle fliegende Burg (Flying Fortress).
You can see it from the motorway and if the weather is foggy, you can get the impression of a flying fortress.
The castle looks amazing in night time.

855 Meters

Burg Hohenzollern is located at 855 meters above sea level.
This castle is Prussia’s legacy in Baden-Wuerrtemberg. You can see it by Prussia’s flag and coat-of-arms here.
The castle is a complex of different buildings and sites, among them:

- evangelische Kapelle (the Evangelic chapel);
- Stammbauhalle (the original hall);
- Grafensaal (Count’s Hall);
- Blauer Salon (Blue Saloon).

A Memorable Visit

I was an interpreter of a Ukrainian choir in 1991 when we had a tour of this catsle.
Since it was only my second trip to Germany as an interpreterI found it hard to translate the guide’s fast speech about the catle’s rich history and events. So I asked him to speak a bit slower, but to no avail. It was evident for our group that my translations were lagging behind and were too short, but the group members did not seem to mind. They were too busy admiring the interior and the exhibits and did not pay much attention at the guide’s epic story about the castle, its history and former owners.
So now it’s about time I revisited this castle in a quiet setting and without having to translate, merely comtemplating the interior and the exhibits. I keep my finger crossed that some day I will be able to take my family there too.

• Pros:Historical tour, well-kept and maintained castle
  • Cons:You need more than one day to explore the castle…
  • In a nutshell:Gem of Germany
  • Last visit to Burg Hohenzollern: Aug 1991
  • Intro Updated Aug 13, 2011

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Nice memories of what I thought was a very interesting Castle.

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2011 at 3:50 AM

That's a beautiful castle! Great photos! Good tour guides are hard to find! Gillybob greetings

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2010 at 12:38 PM

What an interesting place - another to add to my already too, long list of places to visit. If only I were 20 years younger (even 10 would help!).

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2009 at 7:24 AM

all those romanti castles, and few tourist. It must be a nightmare to work for the German tourist board.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2009 at 7:51 AM

Know what you mean about translation & guides going on and on and on. Gosia translated to English for a group at a castle in Poland. I thought she'd shoot the guide. So disgusted with his rantings .. things noone cared about. Oh, for a good tour guide!!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2009 at 12:25 PM

wow, thats a great castle ! Thanks for these great links, Victor !

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Amazing castle! I love jumping around in them...Norman :)

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2009 at 5:49 PM

What an informative and interesting introduction. Thanks for the links to other sites also. Beautiful post cards.

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2009 at 10:30 PM

Another good page!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2009 at 5:50 AM

Thank you Victor for bringing back sweet memories about this magnificent castle! And for presenting me another 5-top destination (haha!) because your page became the sixth rated page there.

hunterV

“The entire world with your own eyes”

Badges & Stats in Burg Hohenzollern

Have you been to Burg Hohenzollern?

Latest Activity in Burg Hohenzollern