"The Town of the Slavs and the Serbs" Slavyanoserbsk by hunterV
Slavyanoserbsk Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 103 photos
Slav Serbia Town - this is how the town's name would sound in English.
Slavyanoserbsk is located in the central part of Luhansk region about twenty miles to the northwest of Luhansk, three miles from the motorway that is called Bakhmoot Trail.
The town was founded in 1753 after the decree of Empress Elizabeth I, the daughter of Peter I, on inviting the Serb Hussars (cavalry troops) to settle on the right bank of the Seversky Donets to protect the southern border of the Russian Empire.
The Serbs founded two autonomous areas on the territory of Ukraine:
New Serbia in Central Ukraine
and Slav Serbia on the territory of the present Luhansk region. They founded several villages under the leadership of their general Ivan Shevich. Those were completely autonomous districts subjected directly to the Supreme Council in St.Petersburg.
This autonomous area was presented to the Serbs, Croatians and Montenegrins by Empress Elizabeth I for their military merits at the service to the Russian Empire. It was in a strategic area between three rivers: the Seversky Donets in the north, the Bakhmutka in the west and the Luhanka in the east and south.
The empress presented the new settlers with a special charter that granted them “eternal property” with the right of inheritance on that land, freed the new settlers from all taxes and guaranteed them high wages.
Slav Serbia had its own language, culture and habits. Later it became a county center.
The area existed for a short period – from 1753 till 1764 when a new territory was formed – New Russia Province.
The town's coat-of-arms represents a Serb hussar helmet on a golden background in its upper part ( a symbol of the first settlers - Serb hussars) and two cannons in its lower part, which is a symbol of the iron foundry built in Luhansk later.
Slavyanoserbsk has held municipal rights since 1960.
The population of the town itself is about 7.5 thousand inhabitants. It is the smallest county center of Luhansk region.
The town is one of the off-the-beaten-path places of Luhansk region. No motorway or major railway runs through this town. This must be the only county center of Luhansk region that lies off the main roads.
Slavyanoserbsk is known for its cathedral that survived the ruthless Stalin era:
St.Stephen the Great Martyr's Cathedral that is being restored now. It received new domes and there is still a lot of restoration work inside. Father Oleg, the cathedral dean, is doing a lot in this sphere. The cathedral parish celebrates their cathedral holiday on the third day of Christmas when St.Stephen's Day is observed.
The Local Lore Museum is another must-see in Slavyanoserbsk. The museum has several interesting exhibitions devoted to the nature and history of the county.
Website of the county council
Sights of Slavianoserbsk County
There are 55 villages and towns in Slavyanoserbsk County.
Its territory is over 1,100 sq.km (425 sq.mi) and the total population is about 60 thousand inhabitants.
There is a coal mine and several big and small industrial enterprises in this district: a ready-made clothes factory, a pipe factory, a dairy products factory, etc.
Like all other counties of Luhansk region, Slavyanoserbsk County is also known for its agricultural products.
There are several state reserves on the territory of the county:
- Lake Byelyayevo State Reserve, a picturesque forest, that occupies 176 ha (0.68 sq.mi) and has very rich flora and fauna;
- Slavyanoserbsk geological monument uncovering of sands and gritstones located at the railway station of Slavyanoserbsk.
- Prichepilovo geological monument that has deposits of rocks of scientific interest.
- Donets ichthyologic state reserve that includes 7 km of the River Seversky Donets (274 ha - about 1 sq.mi.) and is rich in different fishes that were entered into the Red Book.
- Pros:Fresh air and beautiful countryside, no busy traffic, friendly people, nice local lore museum and monuments
- Cons:no hotels or big restaurants like in big cities
- In a nutshell:Town with Glorious Past
The Afghan memorial is located to the right of the District Council building. The inscription on the left reads, To the... more travel advice
You can see this memorial when you take the right turn to Slavyanoserbsk. This is the famous Political Commissar... more travel advice
hunterV's Related Pages
Slavyanoserbsk Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Slavyanoserbsk
- Transportation in Slavyanoserbsk
- Nightlife in Slavyanoserbsk
- Restaurants in Slavyanoserbsk
- Shopping in Slavyanoserbsk
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Slavyanoserbsk
- 25 Reviews
- 103 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Slavyanoserbsk?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Slavyanoserbsk
Photos in SlavyanoserbskSee All Photos (103)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luhansk Intro, 357 reviews, 1924 photos, 14 travelogues
- Rubizhne Intro, 230 reviews, 1284 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 88 reviews, 544 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiev Intro, 100 reviews, 442 photos, 7 travelogues
- Horlivka Intro, 61 reviews, 446 photos, 10 travelogues
- Svyatogorsk Intro, 65 reviews, 405 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krasnodon Intro, 51 reviews, 342 photos, 10 travelogues
- Yelan' Intro, 58 reviews, 322 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stakhanov Intro, 48 reviews, 299 photos, 7 travelogues
- Kirovsk Intro, 63 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues