"A Huge Industrial City" Alchevs'k by hunterV
Alchevs'k Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 67 photos
Alchevsk with its population of more than 100,000 inhabitants is one of the biggest Ukrainian cities. It is located 45 km/28 miles to the west of Luhansk, the regional center. The city is about an hour's drive from Luhansk.
Alchevsk has always been famous as the nation's huge industrial center. About one-fourth of the entire industrial output of Luhansk region belongs to this city. The metallurgical works and the coking chemical factory are the city's leading enterprises.
Here's a web site about Alchevsk in Russian.
The city was founded in 1895.
The railway station of Yuryevka, the village of Vassilyevka and the farmstead of Dolzhik made the foundation for the factory settlement in this area.
Alexey Alchevsky, a famous Russian entrepreneur, founded a metallurgical company here. The metallurgical company was called Donetsk-Yurivsk and its abbreviation was DUMO.
On July 19, 1895 the company cast the first iron and began its regular operation. Alexey Alchevsky became the first owner of the promising company.
Due to the economic crisis of 1901 the company went bankrupt. Alexey Alchevsky went to the capital to ask for funds and support. Upon finding none Alchevsky was in despair and committed a suicide when he fell under a train at a railway station in St.Peterburg.
In 1995 when the city observed the centenary of its foundation the monument to Alexey Alchevsky was dedicated in Central Square next to the City Council building. The inscription on the pedestal reads,
The history of the city name is also interesting.
Until 1931 it was called Alchevsk, from 1931 till 1961 it was called Voroshilovsk after Clement Voroshilov, Soviet Defense Minister and then President.
Clement Voroshilov, Joseph Stalin's close associate, who was called "the first Soviet officer", a five-star general, used to go to school in this city.
In 1961, when Stalin's personality cult was denounced, his former associates fell into (temporary) disgrace (as far as the Communist regime allowed) and Voroshilov's name disappeared from the map of Luhansk region. The local ardent Communist leaders renamed the city into Communarsk after the Commune of Paris of 1871. The Communars were the active members of the workers' uprusing in Paris then.
In December 1991 in commemoration of the heroic activities of the local entrepreneur Alchevsky and after the city referendum Communarsk was renamed into Alchevsk.
By the way, the old Soviet name of the city has remained in the name of the city railway station - Communarsk.
This is how we can represent numerous changes of the city name:
1895 DUMO settlement;
until 1931 - Alchevsk;
1931-1961 - Voroshilovsk;
1961-1991 - Communarsk;
since December 1991- Alchevsk.
- Pros:Lots of stores, cafes and restaurants
- Cons:air and land pollution, quality of roads and sidewalks leaved much to be desired...
- In a nutshell:A friendly manufacturing city
Alchevsk has several twin cities, among them: Dnipridzerzhinsk, Ukraine; Dunaújváros, Hungary; Dąbrowa Górnicza,... more travel advice
This cultural entertainment complex includes a nightclub, Paradize French Restaurant, Zefire Lounge Bar, a concert... more travel advice
hunterV's Related Pages
Alchevs'k Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Alchevs'k
- Transportation in Alchevs'k
- Nightlife in Alchevs'k
- Restaurants in Alchevs'k
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Alchevs'k
- 8 Reviews
- 67 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (122)
Have you been to Alchevs'k?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alchevs'k
Photos in Alchevs'kSee All Photos (67)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luhansk Intro, 357 reviews, 1924 photos, 14 travelogues
- Syeverodonets'k Intro, 243 reviews, 1502 photos, 32 travelogues
- Rubizhne Intro, 235 reviews, 1309 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 156 reviews, 1004 photos, 27 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiev Intro, 99 reviews, 440 photos, 7 travelogues
- Horlivka Intro, 62 reviews, 451 photos, 10 travelogues
- Svyatogorsk Intro, 65 reviews, 405 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krasnodon Intro, 51 reviews, 342 photos, 10 travelogues
- Yelan' Intro, 58 reviews, 322 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stakhanov Intro, 49 reviews, 304 photos, 7 travelogues