"Alexandertown in Luhansk Region" Aleksandrovsk by hunterV
Aleksandrovsk Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 108 photos
The name of the town would sound like "Alexandertown" in English. This is the picture of the war memorial located in Red Square - the town’s central square. The buses from Luhansk arrive to this square.
The memorial is dedicated to the fallen heroes of the Second World War. It represents soldiers giving the last salute to their fallen comrades-in-arms. The inscription in golden letters at the foot of the monument reads,
Eternal glory to those
who perished in the battles
for the freedom of their Motherland!
Alexandrovsk is a satellite town of Luhansk. It is subordinated to Artiom District Council, but has its own mayor.
The town has held municipal rights since 1963. Before that it was called the village of Alexandrivka.
The town itself is located about 25 km/15.5 miles to the northwest of Luhansk.
Several villages and settlements adjoining the border of Luhansk belong to the town council:
- Teplichnoye ("Greenhouse Village"),
- Topoliny ("Poplar Settlement"),
- Dzerzhinsky (after the name of the well-known Soviet leader, the first chief of the security service, Felix Dzerzhinsky, 1877-1926)
- Katerinovka ("Catherine's Village").
The town is located on the River Luhanka that flows further across the Old Town in Luhansk into the Seversky Donets.
The residents of Alexandrovsk use the railway station of Milova located 3 km from the town.
The history of the town dates back to the second half of the 18th century when eighteen families exiled from Central Russia settled here.
Then, in 1770, Captain Alexander Yuzbash received that land as his estate for his merits. He built his estate and since then the village was called after him - Alexandrovka. His estate is preserved till now, but in a poor state. Although the estate belongs to the architectural monuments of the republican value, it was used as a tuberculosis dispensary for a long time. Town residents looked forward to the times they got rid of it. Those times came. The TB hospital was transferred to the woods area to the territory of the former army unit.
Hopefully the old estate will undergo thorough repairs and will be turned into a local lore museum and a leisure center. Live and see.
The towns boasts of its old Holy Ascension Cathedral dedicated in 1772.
The town can be reached from downtown Luhansk in about fifty minutes by bus 250 bus 231 or still faster - by cab ($20).
The town consists mainly of old private houses and several apartment houses, among them two nine-storey apartment houses.
The main attraction of that town is its Holy Ascension Cathedral that has recently been refurbished.
The official website
- Pros:Visiting Ascension Cathedral, the old count's park.
- Cons:poor quality of roads and sidewalks
- In a nutshell:A satellite town of Luhansk, Place of Pilgrimage of the Orthodox Christians
It's a new monument in Alexandrovsk. It was dedicated on April 26, 2011. The monument is located to the left of the war... more travel advice
The bar is called Ostrovok ("Little Island"). It is located in October Street. There is a tent and a tiny construction... more travel advice
hunterV's Related Pages
Aleksandrovsk Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Aleksandrovsk
- Transportation in Aleksandrovsk
- Restaurants in Aleksandrovsk
- Warnings and Dangers in Aleksandrovsk
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Aleksandrovsk
- 13 Reviews
- 108 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (120)
Have you been to Aleksandrovsk?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Aleksandrovsk
- Posted in Travel Ukraine Forum "Re: visiting Ukraine "
- updated a Aleksandrovsk Travel Page "Alexandertown in Luhansk Region"
- Commented on one of hunterV's Aleksandrovsk travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Viewing the Chernobyl Catastrophe Memorial"
- Wrote a Review Viewing the Chernobyl Catastrophe Memorial in Aleksandrovsk Things to Do
- Uploaded a Video to Aleksandrovsk
Photos in AleksandrovskSee All Photos (108)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luhansk Intro, 357 reviews, 1924 photos, 14 travelogues
- Rubizhne Intro, 235 reviews, 1309 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 156 reviews, 1004 photos, 27 travelogues
- Syeverodonets'k Intro, 147 reviews, 925 photos, 22 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiev Intro, 99 reviews, 440 photos, 7 travelogues
- Horlivka Intro, 62 reviews, 451 photos, 10 travelogues
- Svyatogorsk Intro, 65 reviews, 405 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krasnodon Intro, 51 reviews, 342 photos, 10 travelogues
- Yelan' Intro, 58 reviews, 322 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stakhanov Intro, 49 reviews, 304 photos, 7 travelogues