"The Capital of the Donets Basin" Top 5 Page for this destination Donets'k by hunterV
Donets'k Travel Guide: 109 reviews and 423 photos
This is the exact replica of the Czar Cannon that stands in the Kremlin in Moscow.
It was commissioned in Izhevsk, Russia, in 2001 and was presented to the people of the Donets Basin as a symbol of the inviolable friendship of the Russian and the Ukrainian peoples.
The Ukrainian version of the Czar Cannon stands in Artem Street - the central street of Donetsk.
Who could have thought that replicas of such unique ancient monuments were possible!
Donetsk, the biggest city in the region, became the capital of the Donets Basin, a big industrial area in the east of Ukraine, with the total area of 60,000 sq.km/23.160 sq.miles and with about 400 coal mines.
Now Donetsk is one of the five Ukrainian cities with the population of over a million inhabitants. Donetsk is an important scientific and cultural center of the Donets Coal Mining Basin.
The city consists of nine vast districts. The central street in the city is called Artem Street (in Ukrainian - Artem Street). The main sites are located in this street, among them the Opera and Ballet Theater founded in 1941, Lenin Square, Shakhtar Plaza Hotel ***** ("Coalminer"), etc.
The city is 120 km/75 miles away from the seaside.
Staying in Donetsk, you can make a day trip to Mariupol, a big seaport and a resort at the Sea of Azov, and enjoy the sun on its beaches or have a short sea voyage.
If you stay a couple of days there, you can get to know a bit of the city's cultural life.
There are three theatres, the Concert Hall, the circus, movie theaters, leisure centers and clubs, museums, a picture gallery and a planetarium. Besides, there are architectural monuments of local importance, of sculpture and history, and memorial places.
Thanks to the city's remarkable architecture the residents have many places of interest in the city: Artem Street, Lenin Square, Shcherbakov Park and other recreation parks, etc.
The residents of Donetsk have places for rest after a hard working day other than just staying at home. At their service there is a huge city parh called Central Park of Culture and Rest and its branches – Lenin Komsomol Park and Shcherbakov Park. On the outskirts of city there are Donetsk Botanical Gardens.
Though Donetsk does look gloomy and gray in winter, as does every large industrial center, a lot of greenery, beautiful buildings, the River Calmius and numerous lakes make the city look wonderful in spring and in summer.
Donetsk was founded in 1869 as a coalminers' settlement in a big coal-mining area.
It was called Yuzovka in honor of an English enterpreneur John James Hughes who was decisive enough to build a metallurgical plant here.
The first blast furnace was put into operation on January 24, 1872.
In 1924, soon after Joseph Stalin came to power, the city was renamed into Stalino by the decision of the Communist party leadership. At that time it was a district center. On July 22, 1932 Stalino became the administrative center of Donetsk region.
In 1961 after after the denunciation of Stalin's personality cult the city was renamed into Donetsk after the River Donets, the largest river in the Donets Basin, that flows across Donetsk region.
And now Donetsk is one of the largest industrial centers of Ukraine with such highly developed branches of industry as coal, metallurgy and machine building. Coal industry is the leading branch of industry in the city. There are 150 industrial enterprises and companies in Donetsk.
One sixth of all the production of the huge Donetsk region is manufactured in the city.
I studied in Horlivka, an hour's drive from Donetsk. My friends and I used to visit Donetsk regularly when we were students.
I enjoyed visiting Lenin Square area, movie theaters, the circus, the Calmius embankment and the numerous stores in Artem Street.
There were Soviet movies at one of the city movie theater called "Chronicle". The movies were dubbed into English in Paris and it was a pleasure for us, students, to see and to understand what the characters said since we knew many of those movies almost by heart.
I also enjoyed strolling along University Street, one of the longest streets in the city, that is famous for its parks and squares.
About John Hughes
Photos of Donetsk
Panoramas of Donetsk
Youtube Channel about Donetsk
- Pros:Lots of cafes and restaurants, nights clubs and decent hotels
- Cons:Ecological situation, no streets signs in English
- In a nutshell:Industrial and cultural center of the Donets coal-mining basin
Mertsalov’s Palm is one of the symbols of Donetsk and Donetsk Region. Its image is on the coat-of-arms of Donetsk... more travel advice
Donetsk is not only a large industrial center of Ukraine, but also is famous for being the City of a Million of... more travel advice
- See All Trolley-Buses for You
- See All Regional Shopping Mall
- See All In Case of an Emergency
- See All Ethnic Ukrainian Restaurant
- Available and Accessible
hunterV's Related Pages
Donets'k Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Capital of the Donets Basin"
- "Cold with Pride"
- "Donetsk - Drinkers' Paradise!"
- "The Road Trip to Donetsk"
- "My girlfriends hometown.."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Donets'k
- Hotels in Donets'k
- Transportation in Donets'k
- Nightlife in Donets'k
- Restaurants in Donets'k
- Shopping in Donets'k
- Warnings and Dangers in Donets'k
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Donets'k
- 43 Reviews
- 272 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 40 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Donets'k?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Donets'k
- Posted in Travel Luhansk Forum "Re: What is the safety situation..."
- updated a Donets'k Travel Page "The Capital of the Donets Basin"
- Commented on one of vichatherly's Donets'k travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Oldest Symbol"
- Wrote a Review The Oldest Symbol in Donets'k Local Customs
- Uploaded a Video to Donets'k
Photos in Donets'kSee All Photos (272)
Videos in Donets'kSee All Videos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luhansk Intro, 357 reviews, 1924 photos, 14 travelogues
- Rubizhne Intro, 230 reviews, 1284 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 88 reviews, 544 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiev Intro, 100 reviews, 442 photos, 7 travelogues
- Horlivka Intro, 61 reviews, 446 photos, 10 travelogues
- Svyatogorsk Intro, 65 reviews, 405 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krasnodon Intro, 51 reviews, 342 photos, 10 travelogues
- Yelan' Intro, 58 reviews, 322 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stakhanov Intro, 48 reviews, 299 photos, 7 travelogues
- Kirovsk Intro, 63 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues