"Five Years of Studies" Horlivka by hunterV

Horlivka Travel Guide: 62 reviews and 416 photos

I Caught a Travel Bug Here

Traveling became my passion during my student's years in Horlivka.
I was a student of the English Faculty of Horlivka State Pedagogical Institute of Foreign Languages from 1977 till 1982.
At that time nobody called the city Horlivka , everybody said in Russian: Gorlovka.
They say that he who had studied in Horlivka for five years became a city resident. I wondered if I could call myself a local and my answer was negative. I did not visit too many places in the city to have it at my fingertips.
Perhaps I spent too much time doing my homework :-)
So I had to rediscover Horlivka during my visits after my graduation: in 2002, 2009 and 2010.
1779 is the foundation year of Horlivka. The city is called after an outstanding Russian mining engineer Peter Gorlov (1839-1915). He was commissioned for the construction of Kursk-Kharkiv-Azov railway and designed many coalmines.
The thankful residents of Horlivka erected a monument to Peter Gorlov in Victory Avenue in 1999.
The city area is 422 square kilometers, which is half of the size of the Ukrainian capital Kiev.
Horlivka is divided into three administrative districts: Central City District, Kalinin District and Nikitov District.
The settlements of Golmovsky, Zaytsevo, Panteleymonovka and the villages of Ozerianovka and Gladossovo are incorporated into the city area.
About 300,000 residents live in Horlivka now.
The city has three railway stations, more than 1,500 streets, avenues, boulevards and lanes.
Horlivka means a lot of nice memories of my youth to me.
We used to study the culture of the English-speaking countries, but could not even dream of visiting them. We had to travel without seeing most of the time. However, we wanted to learn the habits and ways of those countries not only from textbooks, but also from TV, radio, newspapers and magazines.
Our Communist textbooks, where every word had been approved "from above", did not satisfy our thirst for knowledge and experience, and we sought other ways to develop our skills and ideas.
My friends and I enjoyed listening to the VOA ("Voice of America") "Special English" programs after we had installed an extended SW antenna into an old radio set in our room in the dormitory where we used to stay.
It was very interesting and exciting to get the first-hand knowledge from native speakers over the radio, especially in the times of the information vacuum in our country. It was not very safe, though. But good luck was on our side and our passion for foreign broadcasts did not lead us into any trouble with the authorities.
The videos were very rare in those days and we got the feeling of the foreign culture through music. We listened to music and learnt by heart the songs of "Queen", "ABBA", "Beatles," "Pink Floyd", "Boney-M" and others.

A Great Reward

I am thankful to my alma mater a lot.
During my last year of studies my college recommended me for a business trip abroad as an interpreter, which was indeed a great award in those times, especially if you take into account that I did not belong to the ruling Communist party. Thank God nobody realized then that I had no intention of joining it whatsoever! You only had to "play an activist" at the general meetings of the Young Communist League of your school or college in those times, and nobody really cared if you had any genuine respect for the Communist ideals and leaders.
In 1981 my friend Oleg and I were selected for a study trip to "friendly Germany", the GDR, or East Germany, what is now "the new provinces" where we had a month-long intensive German course at Erich Weinert Pedagogical College Magdeburg (PHM) in Magdeburg (now it is a part of Otto von Guericke University). It was a great experience for me, of course. I was privileged to visit Berlin, Magdeburg and many other big and small towns and cities.

A Start in Life

Luckily, in 1982, while I was still a student, I was selected as a candidate for a possible business trip abroad as an interpreter.
The college recommendation worked and in August of the same year I found myself invited to the "friendly Iraq" as an interpreter at a Soviet-built cement plant in the city of Samawa located in the south of Iraq.
I spent there one year translating for a technical assistance group from the Soviet Union.
Thanks, my good college, for recommending me for that honorable – and cool – job abroad!
You see, there was a custom in the Soviet Union to build factories and plants for developing countries that were regarded by the USSR as friendly nations and potential socialist countries.
Our technical assistance group worked at the Portland cement plant built by the Soviet Union in the seventies.
The city of Samawa itself is located 270 km to the south of Baghdad.
It was a very serious job and a good way of practicing my knowledge. Besides, it was a good financial start in my career. I think I did my best and managed my everyday duties as an interpreter in that faraway mysterious country.
In May 2009 I attended the jubilee reunion of the graduates of our college dedicated to the 60th anniversary of Horlivka State Pedagogical Institute of Foreign Languages. It was a must for me and an opportunity to visit the old and new places there and to take tons of pictures.

A nice city overview
Official web site of Horlivka City Council
For music lovers
Lots of pictures of Horlivka
Another Web Site of Horlivka
with great pictures and videos!

• Pros:wide avenues and streets, lots of cafes and restaurants
  • Cons:too many districts and settlements belonging to the city and hard to reach
  • In a nutshell:My Start in Life
  • Last visit to Horlivka: Aug 2010
  • Intro Updated Dec 20, 2014

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Victor, This is a really interesting and informative page!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
      May 23, 2014 at 11:13 PM

Thanks a lot....I only wanted to share my memories....

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Victor, I enjoyed your pages on Horlivka. particularly your impressions of how it was when you lived there and some things that have (and have not) changed. is the region still a coal mining center as it was when you were there?

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2013 at 10:00 AM

There is so much great history in your region. If only I had more days to get over that way. You keep on traveling since I enjoy your presentations

• breughel's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Hello Victor, when you wrote: "Perhaps I spent too much time doing my homework" I feel like you many years after my studies. We should have gone out dancing and having fun instead of sitting at our desk!

• zadunajska8's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Thanks for sharing so much about your university town. I really enjoyed the Folk Dance video.

• Wafro's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2011 at 7:42 AM

WOW! Your Pages are so complete!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2011 at 8:42 AM

This city is so vibrant! All the memorial, monuments, and beautiful buildings all have a wonderful story to tell. The Razumov Miniature Book Museum looks fascinating. I would want to check out that. Thanks once again for sharing such wonderful memo

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2011 at 2:49 PM

An interesting place, thanks for sharing, Victor !

• June.b's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2010 at 6:09 AM

Great experience u had, am totally envous! xcellent pic of the city where u caught ur travel bug. another one for my list...wishing...

• PeterKnudsen's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2010 at 2:18 PM

English pub serving DANISH tuborg beer :)

hunterV Visits Here Frequently!

hunterV

“The entire world with your own eyes”

Badges & Stats in Horlivka

Have you been to Horlivka?

Latest Activity in Horlivka