"The City of Ivan Franko" Top 5 Page for this destination Ivano-Frankivs'k by hunterV
Ivano-Frankivs'k Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 77 photos
Ivano-Frankivsk would sound like Ivan-Franko-City in English. It was named after the outstanding Ukrainian writer and poet of the 19th and 20th century Ivan Franko.
The city got this name in 1962 and had a Polish name before: it was called Stanislas.
I think the authorities regarded the name Stanislas too Polish and decided to change the city name in honor of the poet who had been born in that region and had lived there.
This city is considered unique due to its architecture, geographical location and facilities.
The architecture of Ivano-Frankivsk incorporates both the old and the new features and harmoniously blends the present and the past.
The city history dates back to 1662 when it was mentioned for the first time.
During the city's 300th anniversary it was resolved to rename it after Ivan Franko, a great Ukrainian poet and thinker who had lived in the city and had created a number of his immortal works there.
I was lucky to visit this city in 1990 when I was the teacher leader of the students' team in German during the All-Ukrainian German Olympiad in Ivano-Frankivsk.
We spent about a week there and managed to visit the main city sites.
The city is a famous center in the Precarpathian region.
It is famous for its craftsmen such as needlewomen, weavers, wood cutters, leather and metal craftsmen.
You can also visit the picturesque city environs and enjoy wonderful views of the Precarpathian region.
Pictures of Ivano-Frankivsk
- Pros:beautiful countryside, lots of handicrafts and souvenirs
- Cons:too far to get there...
- In a nutshell:City of Tidy Streets, Squares and Friendly People
We came to the city by train. It is connected with Kiev, Lviv and other large cities by trains. There are also bus... more travel advice
hunterV's Related Pages
Ivano-Frankivs'k Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The City of Ivan Franko"
- "A City in the Shadow of L'viv"
- "Favorite Ukrainian City"
- "Internship in Ukraine"
- "Folklore festival in Sheshory"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ivano-Frankivs'k
- Hotels in Ivano-Frankivs'k
- Transportation in Ivano-Frankivs'k
- Nightlife in Ivano-Frankivs'k
- Restaurants in Ivano-Frankivs'k
- Warnings and Dangers in Ivano-Frankivs'k
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ivano-Frankivs'k
- 3 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (120)
Have you been to Ivano-Frankivs'k?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ivano-Frankivs'k
Photos in Ivano-Frankivs'kSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luhansk Intro, 357 reviews, 1924 photos, 14 travelogues
- Rubizhne Intro, 235 reviews, 1309 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 156 reviews, 1004 photos, 27 travelogues
- Syeverodonets'k Intro, 129 reviews, 819 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiev Intro, 99 reviews, 440 photos, 7 travelogues
- Horlivka Intro, 62 reviews, 451 photos, 10 travelogues
- Svyatogorsk Intro, 65 reviews, 405 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krasnodon Intro, 51 reviews, 342 photos, 10 travelogues
- Yelan' Intro, 58 reviews, 322 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stakhanov Intro, 49 reviews, 304 photos, 7 travelogues