"The City of Ivan Franko" Top 5 Page for this destination Ivano-Frankivs'k by hunterV

Ivano-Frankivs'k Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 74 photos

The History of the City Name

Ivano-Frankivsk would sound like Ivan-Franko-City in English. It was named after the outstanding Ukrainian writer and poet of the 19th and 20th century Ivan Franko.
The city got this name in 1962 and had a Polish name before: it was called Stanislas.
I think the authorities regarded the name Stanislas too Polish and decided to change the city name in honor of the poet who had been born in that region and had lived there.

The Unique City

This city is considered unique due to its architecture, geographical location and facilities.
The architecture of Ivano-Frankivsk incorporates both the old and the new features and harmoniously blends the present and the past.
The city history dates back to 1662 when it was mentioned for the first time.
During the city's 300th anniversary it was resolved to rename it after Ivan Franko, a great Ukrainian poet and thinker who had lived in the city and had created a number of his immortal works there.

A Memorable Visit

I was lucky to visit this city in 1990 when I was the teacher leader of the students' team in German during the All-Ukrainian German Olympiad in Ivano-Frankivsk.
We spent about a week there and managed to visit the main city sites.
The city is a famous center in the Precarpathian region.
It is famous for its craftsmen such as needlewomen, weavers, wood cutters, leather and metal craftsmen.
You can also visit the picturesque city environs and enjoy wonderful views of the Precarpathian region.

Pictures of Ivano-Frankivsk

• Pros:beautiful countryside, lots of handicrafts and souvenirs
  • Cons:too far to get there...
  • In a nutshell:City of Tidy Streets, Squares and Friendly People
  • Last visit to Ivano-Frankivs'k: Mar 1990
  • Intro Updated Jul 19, 2014

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Nice old buildings ia the Market Square :-)

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2010 at 7:52 PM

I think we saw his grave in Lviv, didn't we?

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2009 at 5:39 AM

interestingly named place

• nada1712's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2009 at 9:55 AM

Fascinating city ...a lovely page!

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2009 at 9:42 PM

countrysides may be far but they are always great o visit...relaxing place...

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2009 at 2:56 PM

Another delightful location, and your insights are just wonderful. Appreciate the time and effort you go to in order to give us a "feel" for the location.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2008 at 12:23 AM

I will be in the West of Ukraine in about 4 weeks and Ivano-Frankivs'k might be a possible destination. I really like the architecture of the railway station.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2008 at 12:57 AM

The City Park and lake looks to be a great place for relaxing!

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2007 at 9:52 AM

I wish I could visit this city but unfortunately it's not on our route.

• lotharlerch's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2005 at 12:17 AM

I think much has changed in I.-F. since 1990 - I saw even great differences between 1997 and 2004 - much is nicely renovated and looks really attractive now

hunterV

“The entire world with your own eyes”

Badges & Stats in Ivano-Frankivs'k

Have you been to Ivano-Frankivs'k?

Latest Activity in Ivano-Frankivs'k