"The Southern Port" Kherson by hunterV
Kherson Travel Guide: 60 reviews and 75 photos
Kherson is the last Ukrainian regional centre I have visited.
Kherson has long been famous as a centre of shipbuilding, food and light industries. It's also known as a centre of a big agricultural region in Ukraine.
The city is also known all over Ukraine for its poor quality roads. As they say, we do not have roads, only directions...
Kherson water-melons, melons and plums are known all over Ukraine.
Visiting this city I couldn't help buying a fresh Kherson watermelon that we ate with pleasure.
It was sweet and delicious - the taste I remember from my childhood.
Here are some useful links I have discovered:
Official web site of Kherson
Photo Gallery of Kherson
The city stands on the rivers Dnipro and Koshevaya. It's a big river port and a seaport. The city was founded in 1783 and has about 350,000 inhabitants.
The city name dates back to the times of Greek colonies on the Black Sea coast. Chersonesos or Chersonesus is the Greek for "peninsula".
The city has two central beaches, one of them is located in the "Hydropark" on the banks of the Dnipro. The central street, Ushakov Avenue, connects the railway station and October Square.
The three city hotels do not attract many tourists. I don’t think this city is very popular with travelers. I myself have visited it for the first time this August. But single men from abroad often visit this city for there are several marriage agencies in the city.
I have some pictures and am going to complement my page soon. You can also have a look at the site of Kherson city administration (in Ukrainian):
I remember having a walk in downtown Kherson. I payed attention to numerous advertisements and boards like this one... more travel advice
walking along Ushakov Avenue and exploring its stores, parks and squares. visiting All Saints' Church not far from the... more travel advice
hunterV's Related Pages
Kherson Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kherson ... and sadness"
- "Kherson, nice river city close to Black Sea"
- "City of Brides"
- "Kherson..... what can I say...."
- "The Southern Port"
- "Why Kherson"
- "Life in Kherson"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kherson
- Hotels in Kherson
- Transportation in Kherson
- Nightlife in Kherson
- Restaurants in Kherson
- Warnings and Dangers in Kherson
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kherson
- 5 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (122)
Have you been to Kherson?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kherson
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luhansk Intro, 357 reviews, 1924 photos, 14 travelogues
- Rubizhne Intro, 235 reviews, 1309 photos, 12 travelogues
- Syeverodonets'k Intro, 159 reviews, 1033 photos, 27 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 156 reviews, 1004 photos, 27 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiev Intro, 99 reviews, 440 photos, 7 travelogues
- Horlivka Intro, 62 reviews, 451 photos, 10 travelogues
- Svyatogorsk Intro, 65 reviews, 405 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krasnodon Intro, 51 reviews, 342 photos, 10 travelogues
- Yelan' Intro, 58 reviews, 322 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stakhanov Intro, 49 reviews, 304 photos, 7 travelogues