"The Southern Port" Kherson by hunterV

Kherson Travel Guide: 59 reviews and 76 photos

Agricultural Region

Kherson is the last Ukrainian regional centre I have visited.
Kherson has long been famous as a centre of shipbuilding, food and light industries. It's also known as a centre of a big agricultural region in Ukraine.
The city is also known all over Ukraine for its poor quality roads. As they say, we do not have roads, only directions...

Kherson Info at “Who Is Who In Ukraine“

Shipbuilding Center

Kherson water-melons, melons and plums are known all over Ukraine.
Visiting this city I couldn't help buying a fresh Kherson watermelon that we ate with pleasure.
It was sweet and delicious - the taste I remember from my childhood.
Here are some useful links I have discovered:

Official web site of Kherson
Photo Gallery of Kherson

The Dnipro City

The city stands on the rivers Dnipro and Koshevaya. It's a big river port and a seaport. The city was founded in 1783 and has about 350,000 inhabitants.

The city name dates back to the times of Greek colonies on the Black Sea coast. Chersonesos or Chersonesus is the Greek for "peninsula".

The city has two central beaches, one of them is located in the "Hydropark" on the banks of the Dnipro. The central street, Ushakov Avenue, connects the railway station and October Square.

The three city hotels do not attract many tourists. I don’t think this city is very popular with travelers. I myself have visited it for the first time this August. But single men from abroad often visit this city for there are several marriage agencies in the city.
I have some pictures and am going to complement my page soon. You can also have a look at the site of Kherson city administration (in Ukrainian):

www.online.kherson.ua%c*

• Last visit to Kherson: Aug 2001
  • Intro Updated Apr 19, 2012

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2012 at 10:48 AM

That restaurant with the local cuisine sounds good - and such a lovely photo of sunflowers!

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2012 at 11:21 AM

I hope you will get to revisit Kherson one day!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2010 at 12:50 PM

It must be wonderful to see such nice sites at the place near the water. Great descriptions

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Last summer I visited Kherson shortly. As soon I find time, I will build some Ukrainian pages.

• ZiOOlek's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2010 at 2:43 AM

Hmm... I feel like eating fresh watermelon.. :-)

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2009 at 12:05 PM

'Pineapple' sounds in Russian like the beginning of the phrase 'It will not let us down' - very interersting, Victor - that's a very smart political slogan...Norman

• Jan 23, 2009 at 6:14 PM

Another nice page of you

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2009 at 10:05 AM

Another lovely little page with interesting tips about this not so well know Ukrainian city.

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2008 at 10:09 AM

Victor, great tips and photos. I will have to visit more of your travel pages in the future. Best from New Jersey, Bill

• Aug 6, 2004 at 3:12 PM

Another superlative page my friend, keep up the great work!

hunterV

“The entire world with your own eyes”

Badges & Stats in Kherson

Have you been to Kherson?

Latest Activity in Kherson