Krasnodon Favorite Tips by hunterV
Krasnodon Favorites: 6 reviews and 30 photos
Krasnodon city newspaper
for good people
I used to buy it at kiosks each time I visited this city.
This weekly newspaper has been published since April 2004.
It has a lot of articles and pictures about the local life and events.
Fondest memory: visiting the memorials and the new center.
The orders of Coalminers' Glory at admin.building
of many heroes
This is how Krasnodon is often referred to, like no other town and city in Luhansk region.
Eighteen natives of Krasnodon became Heroes of the Soviet Union during the Second World War and eleven residents got the title of the Hero of the Socialist Labor.
The city has also been known as a huge industrial center of Luhansk region.
There are twenty-four industrial enterprises, eight transport enterprises and fifteen construction enterprises in the city.
The city is known for its coalmines and the meat packing plant.
The Soviet orders memorial sign, Krasnodon
The city itself has no orders like, say, Luhansk.
The city organizations and establishments have three orders:
The city’s young Communists organization was awarded with the Order of the Red Battle Banner on October 25, 1968 for the heroism and courage shown during the war.
The city School #1 was awarded with the Order of Honor for Communist patriotic education of young people on February 11, 1971.
The city memorial museum was awarded with the Order of the Friendship of the Peoples on September 4, 1982.
The city coat-of-arms
Favorite thing: The city coat-of-arms was approved in 1984 when the city celebrated its 70th anniversary.
It was created by Yuriy Shpykro who took part at the contest and won it.
The coat-of-arms of a pentagon with rounded lower edges, which makes it look like old Russian shield.
You can see the image of Oath monument in its left part. The right part of the coat-of-arms represents modern days: there is the emblen of coalmining industry in its upper part and the image of a gear that is the symbol of the machine-buiklding industry.
The coat-of-arms and the city flag were approved by the session of Krasnodon city council on February 16, 2000 (Resolution No.14242). The specialists in heraldry say the coat-of-arms has numerous violation of the heraldry rules and should be corrected as a result of a new coat-of-arms contest.
The city flag consists of three colors: blue, yellow and red. There is a yellow ribbon and the date 1914 on the red part of the city flag.
Since Krasnodon is the center of Krasnodon County, there is a county coat-of-arms.
The image of the "Oath" monument is also one of the symbols of the city.
The city has three Soviet orders, among them the Order of the Friendship of the Peoples .
By the way, I don't know any other city in Ukraine that was awarded with and the Order of the Friendship of the Peoples.
That order must be a very rare award for a city or an organization.
As far as I know, in Soviet times it was mostly used to award people or institutions.
These are the city orders that are depicted on the Orders Sign:
The Order of the Red Battle Banner
The Order of the October Revolution
The Order of the Friendship of the Peoples
Fondest memory: Visiting the memorial complex of the Young Guards.
In one of the halls of the memorial museum
the city was occupied by the Nazis.
The terrible new order began.
Many patriotic young people of Krasnodon, members of the YCL (The Young Communist League), united in an underground organization. They dedicated their subversive activities to the 25th anniversary of the Bolshevik revolution in November 1942.
The resistance young people acted for about half a year performing acts of sabotage against the Nazi invaders.
They managed to do many things during the Nazi occupation:
- published and spread Communist leaflets,
- hoisted red flags on high points of the city,
- killed German officers in an ambush on the city outskirts,
- liberated Soviet POWs held captives on the city outskirts,
- set free 500 cows held captive in preparation for their transportation to fascist Germany,
- set fire the Labor Exchange building, thus annihilating all papers pertaining to the lists of city teenagers for their deportation to forced labor in Germany and its occupied territories,
- hanged two traitors – the local guys who joined German police as “people’s police”.
The 92 members of the underground organization were betrayed, arrested and savagely murdered by the Nazis in January 1943.
The heroes feat of the young people became known worldwide owing to the novel of the Soviet writer Alexander Fadeyev “The Young Guard”.
The book was screened and the movie enjoyed great popularity in the Soviet Union.
The Summary of the Novel
Will Always Remain in People’s Memory
A memorial plaque at the entrance to School 1.
– coal -
It was their cherished dream to possess it all.
The city was occupied by the Nazis for more than half a year and was liberated in the middle of February 1943.
Underground organizations had been formed long before the Nazis occupied the city.
The Nazi invaders unleashed a regime of terror to ensure the city industry worked for them, but to no avail. Not a single coalmine hoisted coal during the Nazi occupation.
On the night of August 29, 1942 thirty-two coalminers were buried alive in the city park for refusing to work for Hitler.
After that, in early October 1942, the Young Guards underground organization was formed. It consisted of 92 young men and young ladies.
Fondest memory: Visiting the memorial museum and "The Unsubdued" memorial complex.
More Reviews (45)
- See All Cab Service
- See All Summer Disco
- See All A Snack in Lenin Square
- See All Enjoy Your Visit!
- See All Pheasants of Krasnodon
- No Mountaineering Please
hunterV's Related Pages
Krasnodon Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Krasnodon
- Hotels in Krasnodon
- Transportation in Krasnodon
- Nightlife in Krasnodon
- Restaurants in Krasnodon
- Shopping in Krasnodon
- Warnings and Dangers in Krasnodon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Krasnodon
- 51 Reviews
- 339 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (122)
Have you been to Krasnodon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Krasnodon
Photos in KrasnodonSee All Photos (339)
Videos in KrasnodonSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luhansk Intro, 357 reviews, 1924 photos, 14 travelogues
- Syeverodonets'k Intro, 243 reviews, 1502 photos, 32 travelogues
- Rubizhne Intro, 235 reviews, 1309 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 156 reviews, 1004 photos, 27 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiev Intro, 99 reviews, 440 photos, 7 travelogues
- Horlivka Intro, 62 reviews, 451 photos, 10 travelogues
- Svyatogorsk Intro, 65 reviews, 405 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krasnodon Intro, 51 reviews, 342 photos, 10 travelogues
- Yelan' Intro, 58 reviews, 322 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stakhanov Intro, 49 reviews, 304 photos, 7 travelogues