"In Lutuhine At Last" Lutugino by hunterV

Lutugino Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 172 photos

I Was a Guest Speaker

I have often passed this town on my way to the village of Illyria, Lutugino County, to see my friends there.
The town's name is pronounced as Lutugino in Russian and Lutuhine in Ukrainian.
Only recently did I stay in that town for a day to take pictures and to explore its sites. I went there on the invitation of my colleague, a teacher of English of the local high school, and was a guest speaker at one of her lessons there. This is what the students told me about their town.
Lutugino is cozy, but much smaller than Luhansk, of course. A long time ago there was a railway station "Shmidovka" in this area. Then industry developed and the station grew into a town.
For sightseeing you can walk along the streets of our town.
You can go to the park and enjoy the nature there. I think it’s one of the most fascinating places in our town.
Lutugino is especially beautiful in spring.
There are not too many places to visit in Lutugino. There are six monuments: two obelisks to the fallen soldiers, Leonid Lutugin monument, Young Pioneers memorial in the town park, Lenin monument and Liberators monument.
There are many cafes and restaurants here. Nika Cafe is one of them. It is the only place in our town that is open until 2 a.m. Corsaire Cafe located uptown is another good cafe. I would recommend you to visit it.
There are lots of different small shops in our town.
Unfortunately, there aren’t any hotels in our town. What we have to offer visitors is a dormitory. It is not very expensive, but is located almost in the center of the town. You can also rent an apartment. I think you can find a quiet and friendly place to stay in our town.
The night life in our town is exciting! If you are a teenager like me, you can go to Rodina Movie Theater where you can listen to good music, dance and mix with your friends.
I like my small, but a very nice town. I think it’s always friendly.

The town is located on the right bank of the River Vilkhova, 22 km (14 miles) to the southwest of Luhansk. According to the latest data of the town's web site (in Ukrainian), 18,300 inhabitants live in Lutugino now.
Buses 206 and 203 run regularly between the railway station of Luhansk and Lutugino.
Photo Album
Pictures of Lutuhine

A Bit of History

Lutugino is called in honor of Leonid Lutugin (1864-1915), an outstanding Russian scientist, a geologist, who studied the area and discovered huge deposits of coal there.
He made the geological map of the district and of the big part of the Donets Basin.
At the end of the 19th century this area attracted foreign investors who built an iron foundry in 1897.
The foundry settlement developed and grew and soon it was called Shmidovka after the railway station of Shmidovka.
In 1925 it was called Lutugino in honor of Leonid Lutugin.
The town is located on the right bank of the River Olkhovka, 22 km (14 miles) away from Luhansk, on Luhansk-Donetsk motorway.
Its population is about 18,000 inhabitants. There are 65 streets in the town.
Its railway station is on Rodakovo-Luhansk line.
Lutugino is the center of Lutugino County that has an area of about 1,000 sq.km/386 sq.mi. and consists of 48 villages outside the town.
Now there is a monument to Leonid Lutugin in the main street at the entrance to the town park.
The monument to Lutugin, a well-known Russian geologist and a public figure, was dedicated in 1975.

Unusual and Unique

Once you are in the town, you are surprised by the unusual quietness of its streets and complete absence of shuttle buses making noise and polluting the air in many towns and cities here.
Even though the town is small, it has everything a big city can offer except a hotel.
Those who travel to Lutugino on business can stay at apartments that the local factory offers them.
The town has a big water reserve that people simply call Lake Lutugino.
Here are some interesting links about this town:
Lutugino Is Our Home!
Lutugino News
111 Years of Lutugino

• Pros:Many shops, several cafes, long streets and many Soviet era apartment houses
  • Cons:No town buses, hence you have to walk around the town or hire a cab
  • In a nutshell:Tiny, friendly and attractive
  • Last visit to Lutugino: May 2014
  • Intro Updated Jul 10, 2014

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Interesting town I did not know about. I would love to have a walk along that peace avenue.

Nov 22, 2014 at 11:58 PM

Yes, I feel the same....It's always a pleasure to walk along the peaceful streets of Lutugino...

• Feb 15, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Hello Victor! From time to time I visit your site finding it interesting. You also should mention a small village Kamenka which is located not far from Lutugino. People say there are temples of different religions, and now they are building a
    "Church of all Religions" (?!) there.... Anyway I'm going to visit Lutugino for all May Holidays. Hopefully the weather
    will be with us..... Cheers!
    Olga P., New York, NY

Nov 22, 2014 at 11:57 PM

Olga, this church under construction will be simply an Orthodox Church, as the author changed his mind....

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Victor, ich hoffe Du bist gut ins neue Jahr gerutscht. Ich wünsche Dir alles Gute für 2013. - Fabulous little page about this Ukrainian gem here.

Jan 4, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Спасибо, Holger! We have a lot of such gems here...Only time is lacking to explore them all...

• nada1712's Profile Photo
      May 21, 2014 at 10:31 AM

How lucky you were to see an original Repin...one of my all time favorite painters of Russia. The mushroom pancakes sound divine! Thanks once again for your wonderful notes on the Ukraine

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2011 at 2:57 PM

The introduction with the students words was excellent. Well presented. You show very nicely how many things there are to appreciate even in a small town. well done!

• Jerelis's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2011 at 2:02 AM

Very nice updates on Lutugino, love the tip about the longest street in the town! Well done and nice pics!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2011 at 6:57 AM

I love the way you have used the students' comments on their town in your intro :-)

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2011 at 4:56 AM

Great page Victor. I love the photos from your part of the world.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2011 at 2:02 PM

I agree, a moment of silence is needed at such sombering war memorials. Such wonderful statues and the downtown architecture is so charming. Lovely page!

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2010 at 9:49 AM

Ukranian pelmeni - sounds good! That is a nice portrait also of Leonid Lutugin - he must have been a tall guy. Norman :)

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2009 at 1:45 AM

Lovely Lutugino page! A stroll in the park or along Lake Lutugino sounds wonderful. Lenin Monument and the War Memorial look like lovely tourist attractions to visit. ~ho & pang

hunterV Visits Here Frequently!

hunterV

“The entire world with your own eyes”

Badges & Stats in Lutugino

Have you been to Lutugino?

Latest Activity in Lutugino