"The Gateway to the West" Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv by hunterV

Lviv Travel Guide: 761 reviews and 2,466 photos

The West-Ukrainian Capital

This is how Lviv, a city in Western Ukraine, is often called.
Lviv differs greatly from Luhansk where I live.
It is much more ornate than many other cities of Ukraine. When I strolled downtown, I felt each building was a masterpiece and should be taken a picture of and described in detail...
Lviv is famous for its old and unique architecture, cathedrals and churches, very active public (both politically and economically) and has long become a place of pilgrimage of many Orthodox and Catholic Christians.
Liviv has been visited by about one million travelers from 113 countries of the world in 2010.
This city has long become a city of summits and government rendezvous. They say it is, in fact, the second Ukrainian capital. The residents of Western Ukraine often call Lviv the spiritual capital of Ukraine.
Lviv is spelled differently in different languages.
It is spelled L'viv in Ukrainian and L’vov in Russian; in Polish: Lwów; in German: Lemberg; in Italian: Leopoli;
in French: Leopolis; in Yiddish: Lemberik.
There are a lot of sights in Lviv, among them the Pototsky Palace that is a meeting point for a lot of official delegations coming to Lviv to discuss the East-West relations. This palace, as well as other old buildings in Lviv, has been thoroughly renovated and has become one of the city symbols.

Open-Air Museum

The city was founded as a fort by Prince Daniel of Halychina (it is also called Galicia) who later became a king and is known now as King Daniel (1201-1264). He named the city in honor of his son Lev (Leo): Leo's City.
The lion is the historical symbol of the city and is represented on the city's coat-of-arms.
Lviv was first mentioned in 1238, but they chose the date 1256 as the city's foundation year.
In 2006 the city celebrated the 750th anniversary of its foundation.
The population of Lviv exceeds 830,000 inhabitants now.
Thousands of people come to this city daily as tourists or on business.
The central part of the city has been put on the UNESCO World Heritage list.
Lviv can be called an open-air museum like, say, Luebeck, an ancient German city recognized by UNESCO as a museum city.
Please take a look at Interactive Map of Lviv and also John Farrar’s Virtual Tour of Lviv
My friend Matt made a great slide show about Lviv. Thanks, Matt!

"The City of Lion"

I visited Lviv in May 2002 on my way to Germany by bus and in 1993 as a teacher leader of the school students' team of Luhansk region to take part in the All-Ukrainian English Olympiad in English.
But the trip was very rewarding for in my spare time I went downtown to admire the ancient cathedrals, ramparts, pavements, cafes, the City Hall and the central square that is called Market Square.
My last visit to Lviv took place in June 2010 when I was a participant of the 6th European VT Meeting.
I decided to revisit many places in Lviv that I remembered from my previous short business trips.
First of all I came to the City Council building to say hello to the lions guarding it.
Two stone lions guard the entrance to the City Hall.
They became the symbol of the city after it had been called Lviv in honor of Leo, the son of King Daniel. This name sounds like lion in Ukrainian.
You can also admire a splendid view of the city from the High Castle that is located on the hill at the altitude of 413 meters above sea level.
There are lots of other places of interest in Lviv, among them the Opera and Ballet Theater, Liberty Avenue, Stryi Park, Lychakiv Cemetery and others.
Lviv is the center of Lviv region that includes 41 cities, dozens of towns and settlements, hundreds of villages.
There are lots of places of interest in Lviv region, such as the city of Drohobych, one of the most ancient Ukrainian cities, that is even older than Lviv itself.
Lviv has a modern railway station and an international airport. The city is connected with lots of foreign cities by rail and by direct flights.
Liberty Avenue is the main thoroughfare that connects Mitskevich Square with the Opera and Ballet Theater.
You can see the monument to Taras Shevchenko, the Bard of Ukraine, in the middle of the avenue.
Unlike some East-Ukrainian cities, there are so many coffeehouses in Lviv. Coffee drinking has become a special ritual in this city. People drink very strong coffee without any sugar, often double coffee, which is a must for every guest of the city, too.
The city is also famous for its unique museums: the Ethnography Museum, the open-air Museum of Folk Architecture, the Ukrainian Culture Museum, The Arsenal museum of old weapons and many others. The city picture gallery also attracts lots of visitors.
Lviv is known as the spiritual capital of Ukraine and has the oldest cathedrals and churches in Ukraine, among them
Roman Catholic Cathedral,
Assumption Cathedral,
St.George's Cathedral,
John the Baptist Cathedral,
Former Jesuits' Cathedral
and others.
Stylist magazine published a nice unbiased comment about Lviv, one of the cities receiving EURO-2012,
"Lviv is a beautiful place known as “the Florence of the East”. Its varied architecture, with renaissance, baroque, rococo and neoclassical styles all rubbing up next to each other, makes it a fascinating destination, and sitting with a coffee or beer in a town-square cafe, tucking into a bowl of borscht or nibbling on a pastry, while watching the world roll by, is a treat."
I completely agree with you, Stylist!

• Pros:Rich and many-sided cultural life, very active and patriotic public life
  • Cons:Long distance to get there
  • In a nutshell:The Spiritual Capital of Ukraine
  • Last visit to Lviv: Jun 2010
  • Intro Updated Jul 18, 2014

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2013 at 1:40 PM

it looks like you had a nice day trip during the euromeet. The idea of a house of aphorisms is amazing for me.

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Victor. You mentioned Lviv and Im glad I came by. This looks like a fascinating place to visit with lots and lots to see. The mixture of architectural and cultural styles looks very interesting.

• Twan's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2012 at 12:47 PM

I want to go here some day I did the drawings for the fridge plant of the local brewery here!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Great updates since June of 2010. This page brings back memory from far 1968 and 1975 when I happened to visit Lviv! I think it's one of the most beautiful Ukrainian cities! Pity the weather wasn't fine during your VT-meetings and excursions...

• Raimix's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2012 at 5:55 AM

Great page about place I would like to visit :) It is really the are so much to see and do :) I see just the weather is the same not stable as in Istanbul or Vilnius :) Would love to drink red coffee :)

• Aitana's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Watching a TV program dedicated to Spaniards living in Ukraine I saw some images of Lviv, then I entered here to see a bit more. It seems a fascinating city, thanks for your fantastic tips.

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Excellent travel pages on the city of Lviv. The city certainly has lots of tourist attractions especially with its beautiful and unique architectural buildings. Thanks for your wonderful virtual tour with great photographs. Thanks also for visiting our Germany travel pages. ~ho & pang

• pure1942's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2011 at 4:15 AM

Had to take another look at yout Lviv page Victor...I appreciate it even more having visited Lviv in August. Your tips led me to many sights I would have otherwise missed. Thanks for your efforts in producing a wonderful page.
    Brian

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2011 at 6:42 AM

Bonjour Victor,
    thanks for rating my Paris favorites. They correspond to my personal fields of interest which do not include the Tour Eiffel! Now as we say in French: "les gouts et les couleurs ne se discutent pas" to which one of my friends added: "there is good taste and bad taste"!

Your page on Lviv is very interesting. I regret I had not the occasion when I was younger to visit your country. There are so many sites that correspond to my fields of interests for art and history. I would be pleased to add you to my list of VT friends if you agree.
    Best,
    Eddy.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2011 at 4:04 AM

Victor, great sports update about the EURO 2012 in Lviv.

hunterV

“The entire world with your own eyes”

Badges & Stats in Lviv