"A Port at the Sea of Azov" Mariupol by hunterV
Mariupol Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 17 photos
I remember my trip to Mariupol with a German folk dance group as an interpreter in 1991.
The city lies on the coast of the Sea of Azov 120 km (74.5 miles) to the south of Donetsk, the capital of the Donets Basin and the center of Donetsk region, the most industrial one in our country.
Mariupol is also a big port. You can see lots of different ships in the port.
Mariupol was called Zhdanov from 1948 till 1988 in honor of an outstanding Communist leader, a member of the Stalin's clique, who is buried at the Kremlin Wall in Moscow.
The city is famous not only for its beaches and sanatoriums, but also for its metallurgical industry. It's a surprising neighborhood: large beaches and huge enterprises of heavy, metalworking, coke-chemical and machine-building industries located directly on the coast.
One of the most famous enterprises is "Azovstal" iron and steel works. The air surely leaves much to be desired in the whole city, although it depends on the wind direction.
The climate is moderate continental, The warmest in the Donets Basin.
The average temperature in January is 6 degrees below zero Centigrade and in July 24 degrees Centigrade.
The city parks, squares and quays are always full of people.
The first thing for a traveler to do there is to walk along its main street - Lenin Avenue - and then to go to the city beach.
The Sea of Azov is very shallow : 8 m (26 ft) deep, and you can just walk far there. But you still have to be careful because of the moving sands on the bottom.
- Pros:shallow sea, nice beaches, lots of cafes and restaurants
- Cons:Ecological problems with water and air pollution
- In a nutshell:Relaxation at the Sea of Azov
Mariupol is famous for its Extreme Park – the only one of this kind in Ukraine. It includes a number of breathtaking... more travel advice
having a sea outing on a small yacht with my friends. The ship's name is "Savona". It's the name of the Italian... more travel advice
hunterV's Related Pages
Mariupol Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Port at the Sea of Azov"
- "Mariupol-where to spend your time.."
- "ecologist's new Mariupol Page"
- "Mariupol, Ukraine"
- See All...
Explore the World
- Bhubaneshwar Hotels
- San Antonio
- Ulu Kelang Hotels
- Masai Mara Game Reserve Hotels
- Limassol Hotels
- Province of Zambales
- Kelaniya Hotels
- San Miguel de Cozumel
- Garibaldi Provincial Park Hotels
- Departamento de Islas de la Bahía
Badges & Stats in Mariupol
- 4 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Mariupol?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mariupol
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luhansk Intro, 357 reviews, 1924 photos, 14 travelogues
- Rubizhne Intro, 209 reviews, 1163 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 88 reviews, 544 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiev Intro, 100 reviews, 442 photos, 7 travelogues
- Horlivka Intro, 61 reviews, 446 photos, 10 travelogues
- Svyatogorsk Intro, 65 reviews, 405 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krasnodon Intro, 51 reviews, 342 photos, 10 travelogues
- Yelan' Intro, 55 reviews, 307 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stakhanov Intro, 48 reviews, 299 photos, 7 travelogues
- Kirovsk Intro, 63 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues