"New Astrakhan, Luhansk Region, Ukraine" Nova Astrakhan' by hunterV

Nova Astrakhan' Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 89 photos

Old Ukrainian Village

During my stay at my parents' in the city of Rubizhne I decided to pay a visit to this picturesque village located fifteen miles to the north-east of my native city.
I had heard about this village when I was a school student.
Also, I heard about Nova Astrakhan from my student Ann who had come to our regional high school to have intensive biology and chemistry for her future medical career.
In fact, the village name is not always written as Nova Astrakhan. It can be one word on road signs: Novoastrakhan, which means New Astrakhan. I thought it was a very special name for a village. There are several other villages starting with nova in Luhansk region: Novorossosh, Novopskov, Novobyelaya, etc.
My guess was that Nova Astrakhan was founded by settlers who had come from Astrakhan area, but it was not exactly like that. History says that this village was the place of the headquarters of Astrakhan cuirassier regiment of the Russian army. It was called Novoastrakhan in 1825.
The history of the village dates back to 1787 when a Ukrainian Cossack Gooziy founded a Cossack settlement on the banks of the River Borova here. The settlement was first called Gooziyevka, then after Holy Trinity Cathedral was dedicated in 1791 there, it was renamed into Novotroitske ("New Trinity Village").
I learnt interesting things about this history when I visited the village school and the village history museum located on the second floor of the village school.

My Day Trip

I had a lot of spare time and took a sroll along Lenin Street - the main street of the village.
I visited several places here:
- the secondary school, one of the best in the district;
- the village council;
- an agricultural enterprise where Lyubov, the mother of my former student, works. It was a surprise visit for her;
- the village stadium;
- the village park;
- all the three war memorials;
- the old local church - the Church of the Protecting Veil of the Most Holy Mother of God

Splendid Scenery

I admired the fresh air, the wonderful scenery, the village park, roads and ponds.
As a matter of fact, there are four ponds and the locals call them simply: the first, the second, the third and the fourth, among them the fourth one is the cleanest and would be good for bathing. The thing is that you can hardly bathe in any of them. That is, some brave local young people take a risk and bathe there, but they prefer to take a shower at home afterwards.
The village is located far from its county center - the city of Kreminne - about 45 km and 27 km from the nearest railway station of Rubizhne.
The total area of Novoastrakhan is 935 hectares.
There are 800 households with the total number of residents - about two thousand.
Also, there are about 300 seasonal residents who stay at their datchas in the village. Some of these seasonal residents have inherited houses from their relatives and turned them into datchas, others have merely bought old houses, use them as datchas and are total strangers here.

• Pros:A typical Ukrainian village with long history, hard-working and hospitable residents
  • Cons:No hotel, no taxis; you can't bathe in the ponds there...
  • In a nutshell:A Hospitable Ukrainian Village
  • Last visit to Nova Astrakhan': Aug 2009
  • Intro Updated Aug 13, 2011

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2011 at 8:39 AM

Interesting little village, out of the beaten path.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Interesting to see that you took the photo for the "A night stroll" tip during daylight. You were probably afraid of the potholes at night. *winkygrin* Fabulous page with brilliant photos here.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2010 at 3:31 PM

Another great page that depicts everyday life. I, too, enjoyed the "cow repellent" tale. I'm always intrigued by burial mounds.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2010 at 9:13 AM

if ireland make it to the euro 2012 tournament, then i hope to see a bit of this very diverse country - your pages have enlightened me !

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2009 at 8:09 AM

Interesting Nova Astrakhan' travel page complete with amazing photographs. The local church, war memorial and the Village Museum certainly sound wonderful to visit and explore. ~ho & pang

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2009 at 5:36 AM

I really like the "cow repellant" tip! How funny :))) Lovely page, Victor!

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2009 at 1:47 PM

I particularly found your tip on burial mounds interesting....here we also have many mounds constructed by early Native Americans. They are fascinating to explore!

• Aug 26, 2009 at 3:45 AM

Cow repellant? I don't mean to make light of the situation, but I find it very comical that they (cows) are such pests. I guess that is one of the major nuisances of life in the country.

• Basaic's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2009 at 12:16 PM

Another great page on an interesting location.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2009 at 9:01 AM

Very nice page of yours, Victor! It was interesting to know about a Russian Army general and village sponsor - Vladimir Poddubny. A good example to follow...

hunterV

“The entire world with your own eyes”

Badges & Stats in Nova Astrakhan'

Have you been to Nova Astrakhan'?