"New Astrakhan, Luhansk Region, Ukraine" Nova Astrakhan' by hunterV
Nova Astrakhan' Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 89 photos
During my stay at my parents' in the city of Rubizhne I decided to pay a visit to this picturesque village located fifteen miles to the north-east of my native city.
I had heard about this village when I was a school student.
Also, I heard about Nova Astrakhan from my student Ann who had come to our regional high school to have intensive biology and chemistry for her future medical career.
In fact, the village name is not always written as Nova Astrakhan. It can be one word on road signs: Novoastrakhan, which means New Astrakhan. I thought it was a very special name for a village. There are several other villages starting with nova or novo in Luhansk region: Novorossosh, Novopskov, Novobyelaya, etc.
My guess was that Nova Astrakhan was founded by settlers who had come from Astrakhan area, but it was not exactly like that. History says that this village was the place of the headquarters of Astrakhan cuirassier regiment of the Russian army. It was called Novoastrakhan in 1825.
The history of the village dates back to 1787 when a Ukrainian Cossack Gooziy founded a Cossack settlement on the banks of the River Borova here. The settlement was first called Gooziyevka, and afterwards, when Holy Trinity Cathedral was dedicated in 1791 there, it was renamed into Novotroitske ("New Trinity Village").
I learnt interesting things about this history when I visited the village school and the village history museum, located on the second floor of the village school.
I had a lot of spare time and took a stroll along Lenin Street - the main street of the village. I managed to visit several places here:
- the secondary school, one of the best in the district;
- the village council;
- an agricultural enterprise;
- the village stadium;
- the village park;
- all the three war memorials;
- the old local church - the Church of the Protecting Veil of the Most Holy Mother of God
I admired the fresh air, the wonderful scenery, the village park, roads and ponds.
As a matter of fact, there are four ponds and the locals call them simply: the first, the second, the third and the fourth, among them the fourth one is the cleanest and would be good for bathing. The thing is that you can hardly bathe in any of them. That is, some brave local young people take a risk and bathe there, but they prefer to take a shower at home afterwards.
The village is located far from its county center - the city of Kreminne - about 45 km and 27 km from the nearest railway station of Rubizhne.
The total area of Novoastrakhan is 935 hectares.
There are 800 households with the total number of residents - about two thousand.
Also, there are about 300 seasonal residents who stay at their datchas in the village. Some of these seasonal residents have inherited houses from their relatives and turned them into datchas, others have merely bought old houses, use them as datchas and are total strangers here.
- Pros:A typical Ukrainian village with long history, hard-working and hospitable residents
- Cons:No hotel, no taxis; you can't bathe in the ponds there...
- In a nutshell:A Hospitable Ukrainian Village
The thing is the streets are not necessarily all well lit, hence you would need a flashlight to be able to walk along... more travel advice
Like many other villages and towns of Luhansk region, Novoastrakhan has its Liberation Day - the day when the village... more travel advice
hunterV's Related Pages
Nova Astrakhan' Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Nova Astrakhan'
- Hotels in Nova Astrakhan'
- Transportation in Nova Astrakhan'
- Nightlife in Nova Astrakhan'
- Restaurants in Nova Astrakhan'
- Shopping in Nova Astrakhan'
- Warnings and Dangers in Nova Astrakhan'
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nova Astrakhan'
- 17 Reviews
- 89 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (120)
Have you been to Nova Astrakhan'?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nova Astrakhan'
Photos in Nova Astrakhan'See All Photos (89)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luhansk Intro, 357 reviews, 1924 photos, 14 travelogues
- Syeverodonets'k Intro, 239 reviews, 1482 photos, 32 travelogues
- Rubizhne Intro, 235 reviews, 1309 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 156 reviews, 1004 photos, 27 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiev Intro, 99 reviews, 440 photos, 7 travelogues
- Horlivka Intro, 62 reviews, 451 photos, 10 travelogues
- Svyatogorsk Intro, 65 reviews, 405 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krasnodon Intro, 51 reviews, 342 photos, 10 travelogues
- Yelan' Intro, 58 reviews, 322 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stakhanov Intro, 49 reviews, 304 photos, 7 travelogues