"A Town on the White River" Novoaydar by hunterV

Novoaydar Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 87 photos

A Safe Retreat

Novoaydar is one of the towns I have often passed on the way to my hometown - the city of Rubizhne Luhansk region.
Novoaydar is the center of a county in Luhansk region.
I have always wanted to see the town of Novoaydar itself. The thing is the town is far from the main road, so I only passed the town so many times on my way to Rubizhne to see my parents. I did not see anything of the town except small private houses on the way.
On my way to my parents' home by bus I could not see the town center when the bus passed the turning to Lenin Street.
One day I made a business trip to the local school, which was a good chance to explore downtown.
During my day trip I had the chance to discover Novoaydar.
My aim was to visit the secondary school and to invite its students to study at our regional high school.
Also, I had some time to take a stroll about the town, visit its sites and take some pictures.
The town is located 58 km (36 miles) to the northwest of Luhansk and is about 4 km (2.5 miles) away from Luhansk-Starobelsk highway.
You can reach downtown if you turn right to Lenin Street that leads directly to the town center and to the River Aydar.
I enjoyed the town's quiet atmosphere and the views of the river from Nataly Leisure Center located at the beginning of Lenin Street.
I visited the school that is called gymnasium and opens its doors to 750 school students. It was a business trip and my task was to encourage school students to come to Luhansk to study at our high school that prepares school students from Luhansk region to enter the mecial university.
Also, I managed to visit the local lore museum, the market and the newly dedicated Nataly Leisure Center where I was kindly shown around and met the staff and the owner of the leisure center. The leisure center consists of a hotel with five rooms (a suite and four standard rooms), a restaurant, a summer terrace, a billiards room and two saunas. The leisure center was dedicated in 2005.
I have also visited the town's leisure center where the traditional concerts and meetings take place. Luckily, there was a poetry concert there. So I could sit and listen to some of the poems of the local amateur poets.

The River Aydar

The river's name originated from the languages of nomadic tribes that used to make their raids into this land four or five centuries ago. The tribes spoke Turks languages. So the name "ay dar" means nothing less than "a white river".
Novoaydar was founded by Russian Don Cossacks in the second half of the 17th century.
The year 1687 is the town's official foundation date.
The area was also settled by the peasants who had fled from their masters in search of a better lot.
The river was used by the Russian Don Cossacks as a natural border to repulse the numerous raids of the nomadic tribes and the Crimean Tatars. There were several Cossack forts on the riverbanks in the 17th and 18th century. The land was also settled by the peasants who fled from their villages in Russia in search of a better lot and received the land for free there.
Therefore the ethnographic situation in the district is very special and diverse now. There are 38 administrative units in Novoaidar County and every single village represents this or that county of Russia and Ukraine from where the 17th century refugees and settlers came from. The village inhabitants differ not only in their dialects, but also in their folk costumes and customs. Perhaps no other county in the entire Luhansk region has such a diverse ethnographic situation as this one.
The employees of the county local lore museum advised me to travel to the village of Koliadivka located 25 km (15.5 miles) to the north of Novoaydar, if I am interested in history and folk lore. I explored that village afrterwards and saw that the folk museum in Kolyadivka is unique indeed and worth visiting.

Hospitable People

It was a pleasure to meet the local people: the school students, the museum employees, the leisure center and the cafe employees. They were all pleased to know I was going to write an article about their hometown and said they would be glad to meet foreign travelers there.
The town and the county are well known for their rich black soil and hence rich agricultural production. They grow wheat, rye, sunflowers, barley, buckwheat, melons, cabbage, cucumbers, aubergines, potatoes here. In Soviet times there were lots of famous collective farms and collective farm workers.
Now every house in the town in Novoaydfar County has a garden and a vegetable garden where people grow vegetables and fruit.
Besides, the villages have allotted pieces of former collective farm fields where they grow potatoes, wheat, etc.
Here's town's web site.

• Pros:Hospitable people, a quiet atmosphere, a nice river, a good leisure complex to stay
  • Cons:no taxis in the town
  • In a nutshell:Hospitable Rural Center
  • Last visit to Novoaydar: Apr 2006
  • Intro Updated Jan 20, 2012

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Great updates since September of 2008! Impressed by your translation of Ivan Pribludny's poem. Ukrainian varenyky and farmer's borshch should have been delicious in the "Nataly" centre, haha!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2011 at 8:36 AM

Great page Victor! I enjoyed exploring Novoaydar with you. Thank you for translating that poem of Ivan Pribludny for us, so that we can see what a thoughtful poet he was.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2011 at 6:50 AM

Another wonder page Victor! The poetry is wonderful and thank you for sharing!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Victor, fabulous page about the Venice of the Ukraine. What exactly are the country sports games which are held annually in Novoaydar?

• picek's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2010 at 5:15 AM

Thank you for translating that great but sad poem of I.Pribludny. How good is to know the poetry of the place, it tells a lot about the spirit of a time.

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2009 at 9:19 AM

Wonderful and interesting Novoaydar travel page with lots of interesting monuments and squares. Thanks for the virtual tour. Thanks also for visiting our Vatican City travel page. ~ho & pang

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2009 at 9:02 AM

Thanks for the translation. .. interesting. Billiards is obviously popular in Novoaydar :-) a lovely informative page Victor.

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Greetings! Another fine page you have here.

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2009 at 7:59 AM

Hi Victor, another great page on Ukraine. Thanks for sharing and take care!

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2008 at 4:28 AM

Just my kind of trip...one without specific plans, wander about and find the interesting and forgotten. Always love visiting your pages.

hunterV

“The entire world with your own eyes”

Badges & Stats in Novoaydar

Have you been to Novoaydar?

Latest Activity in Novoaydar