"Famous Through Horses and People" Novoderkul by hunterV
Novoderkul Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 106 photos
Novoderkul is a village in Byelovodsk County of Luhansk region. It is located five miles to the south of the county center and sixty miles to the north of Luhansk, the regional center.
There are about one thousand inhabitants in Novoderkul now.
The village lies on the left bank of the River Derkul that is regarded to be the cleanest river of Luhansk region.
The village is famous for its huge State Horse Farm founded in 1767 by the decree of Empress Catherine II.
It is also the birthplace of Andrey Pastukhov (1858-1899), the first Russian mountaineer. Now there is a monument to him in front of the local school that bears his name.
One fine day my Iraqi friends, who study at Luhansk State Medical University, and I decided to pay a visit to the famous Horse Farm in Novoderkul. Our day trip was great: informative, educational and enjoyable.
This is what the name of the River Derkul implies. The name belongs to the Turkic language and means “ravine/canyon river” or “narrow river”. This winding river is narrow indeed, but very deep at certain points. You never know. Its depth varies from one foot to twenty feet.
This river is a fishing paradise. Fishermen say they always have good luck here and never come back home empty-handed. They catch perch, chub, vimba, pike, and catfish.
There are a couple of places where locals bathe and have a picnic on the riverbank. We went to what they call the central beach. It’s a tiny part of the riverbank cleared from weeds and equipped with places for fire, a bench, a fishing board and a jumping board. The water is clear and you can see the bottom at the bank full of large water plants. You can also see yellow water lilies that are rare indeed and only grow in ecologically clean waters.
Before traveling to this place we watched several interesting videos (only in Russian) about Novoderkul Horse Farm and about Byelovodsk County:
- a Luhansk TV program TV Traveller
- a resident of Byelovodsk, a musician, devoted his song to his hometown and wants to turn it into Hymn to Belovodsk
- a nice winter video about the famous Horse Farm
- Also, a good Panorama of Byelovodsk
- Sports are popular here, among them, Paragliding around Belovodsk
- Pros:wonderful horses, nice scenery, hospitable people
- Cons:few buses to Novoderkul and back (especially back)
- In a nutshell:Famous Horse Farm
We did some shopping here before going to the Horse Farm. They everything you might need here, just like at a small... more travel advice
Our tour of the Horse Farm was great! We were thankful to our guide - Mr.Alexander Fiodorov, the museum keeper, local... more travel advice
hunterV's Related Pages
Novoderkul Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Novoderkul
- Transportation in Novoderkul
- Restaurants in Novoderkul
- Shopping in Novoderkul
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Novoderkul
- 19 Reviews
- 106 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Novoderkul?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Novoderkul
- Posted in Travel Lugansk Forum "Re: Travel Agents/Tour Operators..."
- Commented on one of hunterV's Novoderkul travel pages
- updated a Novoderkul Travel Page "Famous Through Horses and People"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Book About the Farm"
- Wrote a Review Local Grocer's in Novoderkul Shopping
- Uploaded a Video to Novoderkul
Photos in NovoderkulSee All Photos (106)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luhansk Intro, 357 reviews, 1924 photos, 14 travelogues
- Rubizhne Intro, 209 reviews, 1163 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 88 reviews, 544 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiev Intro, 100 reviews, 442 photos, 7 travelogues
- Horlivka Intro, 61 reviews, 446 photos, 10 travelogues
- Svyatogorsk Intro, 65 reviews, 405 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krasnodon Intro, 51 reviews, 342 photos, 10 travelogues
- Yelan' Intro, 55 reviews, 307 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stakhanov Intro, 48 reviews, 299 photos, 7 travelogues
- Kirovsk Intro, 63 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues