"To the North of Luhansk" Novopskov by hunterV

Novopskov Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 169 photos

My First Visit

I have often heard about this town in Luhansk region and some of my former students came from it.
I managed to pay a visit to Novopskov only recently.
It was a business trip with the aim of establishing a direct link with the district educational authorities there. The high school where I work aims at inviting the school students from Novopskov County to study at our school that prepares its students for entering the medical university in Luhansk.
I have always thought that Novopskov is a very special name for a small town and wanted to pay a visit there.
There are several villages starting with Nova/Novo in Luhansk region: Novorossosh, Novoastrakhan, Novobyelaya, etc.
My guess was that it was founded by settlers who had come from Pskov area, but it was not exactly like that. History says that this village was the place of the headquarters of Pskov regiment of the Second Cuirassier Division of the Russian army. The village of Zakamyanka existing here since 1638 was renamed into Novopskov in 1829.
The history of the village dates back to 1638 when peasants and Cossacks founded a village and called it after the River Kamyanka. After the famous Cossack Uprising of 1707-1709 many Cossack villages and forts were burnt down according to the order of the Czar Peter I, among them the village of Zakamyanka. It was rebuilt at the beginning of the 19th century and soon became Novopskov.

A Day Trip

The trip to Novopskov and the return trip to Luhansk took me about seven hours all in all.
I did not have much time, but managed to pay a visit to the unique local lore museum, to the local secondary school, local park and market.
I found out that Novopskov had been the center of an agricultural district since 1931.
Novopskov County borders on Voronezh Region of the Russian Federation in the north.
You can see signs on the way to Novopskov: Border Control Area
However, I saw no frontier troops around and took pictures freely.
Novopskov County has the population of about thirty-eight thousand inhabitants.
Holy Assumption Cathedral is one of the biggest sights of the area.
It's an Orthodox cathedral, but many meticulous historians believe it was built and decorated according to Catholic church rules. It may be true because we know from history that this area was inhabited by a large number of Jewish people in the 18th and 19th century who had adopted Catholicism.

Useful Links Are Only in Russian

In fact, the town is called "posiolok" (a settlement in English). It does not have municipal rights yet and is not a town in our official list yet.
Novopskov is located at the confluence of the River Kamyanka and the Aydar (the tributary of the Seversky Donets) about twenty miles from the railway station in Starobilsk.
I am sorry all the useful links on the Internet about this place are only in Russian.
Unofficial Site of Novopskov
ISP web site
Churches of the district
The settlement of Byelolutsk Novopskov County
Churches of Novopskov County

• Pros:Fresh air, nice surrounding forest, two rivers, picturesque countryside, not much traffic, well-known sanatorium, good cafes
  • Cons:too far to get there
  • In a nutshell:A Friendly Ukrainian Town
  • Last visit to Novopskov: Sep 2009
  • Intro Updated Nov 4, 2011

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Very good overview of Novopskov!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2010 at 1:48 PM

How did I miss this fine page? As always, this page is thorough, interesting, and helpful to anyone who plans to visit.

• Nov 17, 2009 at 1:31 AM

Great tips, information, also and design in your page.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2009 at 2:23 PM

That's a very striking statue of the female farmer...what a wonderful nice town and founded 1638 - long time ago! And that is a scary looking cave - definitely need a guide! Love the newly wed spruce tree - can they jump too? Great new pages, Vic!

• Sep 20, 2009 at 1:10 PM

Victor, you've brought light to yet another off-the-beaten-path Ukranian location. I specifically enjoyed reading your tips about the Central Market and the celebration of Women's Day.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2009 at 11:09 PM

Excellent page, Victor! I've never heard about this town before. I wonder if there is a place named Novonovgorod or Novokiev somewhere, haha!

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Excellent Novopskov travel page complete with amazing photos. The War Memorial, Youth Park and local lore museum certainly look wonderful and interesting to visit and to explore. ~ho & pang

• Andrew_W_K's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2009 at 4:11 AM

A typically comprehensive guide that we have come to expect from you Victor. I'd never heard of Novopskov before. Thanks for enlightening me.

hunterV

“The entire world with your own eyes”

Badges & Stats in Novopskov

Have you been to Novopskov?

Latest Activity in Novopskov