"To the North of Luhansk" Novopskov by hunterV
Novopskov Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 169 photos
I have often heard about this town in Luhansk region and some of my former students came from it.
I managed to pay a visit to Novopskov only recently.
It was a business trip with the aim of establishing a direct link with the district educational authorities there. The high school where I work aims at inviting the school students from Novopskov County to study at our school that prepares its students for entering the medical university in Luhansk.
I have always thought that Novopskov is a very special name for a small town and wanted to pay a visit there.
There are several villages starting with Nova/Novo in Luhansk region: Novorossosh, Novoastrakhan, Novobyelaya, etc.
My guess was that it was founded by settlers who had come from Pskov area, but it was not exactly like that. History says that this village was the place of the headquarters of Pskov regiment of the Second Cuirassier Division of the Russian army. The village of Zakamyanka existing here since 1638 was renamed into Novopskov in 1829.
The history of the village dates back to 1638 when peasants and Cossacks founded a village and called it after the River Kamyanka. After the famous Cossack Uprising of 1707-1709 many Cossack villages and forts were burnt down according to the order of the Czar Peter I, among them the village of Zakamyanka. It was rebuilt at the beginning of the 19th century and soon became Novopskov.
The trip to Novopskov and the return trip to Luhansk took me about seven hours all in all.
I did not have much time, but managed to pay a visit to the unique local lore museum, to the local secondary school, local park and market.
I found out that Novopskov had been the center of an agricultural district since 1931.
Novopskov County borders on Voronezh Region of the Russian Federation in the north.
You can see signs on the way to Novopskov: Border Control Area
However, I saw no frontier troops around and took pictures freely.
Novopskov County has the population of about thirty-eight thousand inhabitants.
Holy Assumption Cathedral is one of the biggest sights of the area.
It's an Orthodox cathedral, but many meticulous historians believe it was built and decorated according to Catholic church rules. It may be true because we know from history that this area was inhabited by a large number of Jewish people in the 18th and 19th century who had adopted Catholicism.
In fact, the town is called "posiolok" (a settlement in English). It does not have municipal rights yet and is not a town in our official list yet.
Novopskov is located at the confluence of the River Kamyanka and the Aydar (the tributary of the Seversky Donets) about twenty miles from the railway station in Starobilsk.
I am sorry all the useful links on the Internet about this place are only in Russian.
Unofficial Site of Novopskov
The settlement of Byelolutsk Novopskov County
- Pros:Fresh air, nice surrounding forest, two rivers, picturesque countryside, not much traffic, well-known sanatorium, good cafes
- Cons:too far to get there
- In a nutshell:A Friendly Ukrainian Town
In 1994 the local lore museum received a great new addition: the museum director purchased the neighboring old house... more travel advice
There is one place in the main street that is only designed for newly-weds' good luck and well-being. It is in front fo... more travel advice
hunterV's Related Pages
Novopskov Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Novopskov
- Hotels in Novopskov
- Transportation in Novopskov
- Restaurants in Novopskov
- Shopping in Novopskov
- Warnings and Dangers in Novopskov
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Novopskov
- 27 Reviews
- 169 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (122)
Have you been to Novopskov?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Novopskov
Photos in NovopskovSee All Photos (169)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luhansk Intro, 357 reviews, 1924 photos, 14 travelogues
- Rubizhne Intro, 235 reviews, 1309 photos, 12 travelogues
- Syeverodonets'k Intro, 183 reviews, 1153 photos, 27 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 156 reviews, 1004 photos, 27 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiev Intro, 99 reviews, 440 photos, 7 travelogues
- Horlivka Intro, 62 reviews, 451 photos, 10 travelogues
- Svyatogorsk Intro, 65 reviews, 405 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krasnodon Intro, 51 reviews, 342 photos, 10 travelogues
- Yelan' Intro, 58 reviews, 322 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stakhanov Intro, 49 reviews, 304 photos, 7 travelogues