"Rovenki Revisited" Roven'ki by hunterV
Roven'ki Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 262 photos
I visited this city before, but I have never spent four days in the city, like I did last time.
I was there in 1998 with my Austrian partners who had paid several visits to Rovenki within the framework of their historical research on Ukrainian young people's forced labor in Germany during the Second World War. My Austrian partner Margarethe, a historian and a teacher, wrote a book about the fate of the Ukrainian "Ostarbeiter" - Ukrainian teenagers who were deported to Germany in 1942 to work in what is now Vorarlberg, Austria.
The book written by Margarethe Ruff
In April 2007 my Austrian partners invited me to work with them again visiting those veterans who used to work in Austria during the war. So I had another chance of staying in Rovenki, this time for four days.
Delegation from Rovenki in Austria
In December 2008 the Austrian group came to Rovenki again and my Austrian fruiends needed my help as an interpreter again.
Rovenki is not far from Luhansk – just an hour’s drive by bus - about 60 km (37 miles) to the southeast.
The city occupies a large area together with its numerous suburbs - ten small coalminers’ settlements and fourteen villages– 217 sq.km (about 84 sq.mi), a little less than the territory of Luhansk.
About 100,000 inhabitants live in Rovenki with all its suburbs, among them about 87,000 residents live in the city itself.
The official data of the city council says the average age of the residents is 40 years old.
The city’s industrial base includes 27 enterprises, 9 construction enterprises, 180 small businesses and about 2,000 private entrepreneurs.
There are seven coalmines in the city.
Information and communication center of Rovenki;
”Svetilen” Orthodox Journal of the Southeast of Ukraine
Photos of Rovenki
Dozens of photos of Rovenki
Rovenki was mentioned for the first time in 1705.
There were two settlements of Russian Don Cossacks on the territory of the present city: Novy Aydar and Ossinovy Rovenyok. Then it was mentioned as Ossinovy Rovenyok or simply Rovenyok.
The city has always been famous for its coalmining enterprises (seven coalmines) and “Young Guards” memorial. The Young Guards war memorial is called “Slava” ("Glory") Memorial Complex. It was dedicated in December 1982.
It was a must for many Soviet schoolchildren to visit that city to pay tribute to the heroic deeds of “Young Guards” underground organization that consisted of young people who had remained in the city during the Nazi occupation in 1942 and conducted a lot of subversive activities against the invaders. They were arrested and executed in January 1943 in Rovenki. The tomb of their leaders was a place of pilgrimage of Young Communist League members during Soviet times.
This tomb is visited now by school children and young people from all over Luhansk region and from Ukraine and Russia.
- Pros:Lots of Soviet monuments and memorials; the biggest number of operating coalmines in the region
- Cons:The roads and pavements leave much to be desired…
- In a nutshell:Friendly Coalminers’ City
Be careful when you have a stroll in the nearby woods. Also, be prepared to see the woods in an aweful state: dirty and... more travel advice
Nika TV is the name of the local privart TV studio. Its HQ is on the third floor of the city conference center. We were... more travel advice
- Nothing Special
- Torch By All Means
- See All Our Stay at the Sanatorium
- See All Lots of New Stores
- See All Visiting War Memorial Places
hunterV's Related Pages
Roven'ki Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Roven'ki
- Hotels in Roven'ki
- Transportation in Roven'ki
- Nightlife in Roven'ki
- Restaurants in Roven'ki
- Shopping in Roven'ki
- Warnings and Dangers in Roven'ki
- See All...
Explore the World
- Khopoli Hotels
- Santa Margherita Ligure
- La Perouse Hotels
- Key Largo
- Old Orchard Beach Hotels
- Corpus Christi
- Malvern Link Hotels
- Isla Mujeres Hotels
- Playa de Aro
- High Point State Park Hotels
- De Panne
- Le Touquet-Paris-Plage
- Everglades City
Badges & Stats in Roven'ki
- 45 Reviews
- 262 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Roven'ki?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Roven'ki
Photos in Roven'kiSee All Photos (262)
Videos in Roven'kiSee All Videos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luhansk Intro, 357 reviews, 1924 photos, 14 travelogues
- Rubizhne Intro, 209 reviews, 1163 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 88 reviews, 544 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiev Intro, 100 reviews, 442 photos, 7 travelogues
- Horlivka Intro, 61 reviews, 446 photos, 10 travelogues
- Svyatogorsk Intro, 65 reviews, 405 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krasnodon Intro, 51 reviews, 342 photos, 10 travelogues
- Yelan' Intro, 55 reviews, 307 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stakhanov Intro, 48 reviews, 299 photos, 7 travelogues
- Kirovsk Intro, 63 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues