"To the North of Luhansk" Starobil's'k by hunterV
Starobil's'k Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 156 photos
Starobilsk (“Starobyelsk” in Russian) is one of the cultural and industrial centers in Luhansk region, a centuries-old city on the River Aydar.
The city is often called a legendary city since lots of legends are associated with it.
The population is about twenty-three thousand inhabitants now.
The city has a lot of sights, among them:
- a women’s monastery;
- old Orthodox cathedrals;
- Starobelsk County local lore museum;
- numerous monuments and bridges.
To see them all you would need a couple of days provided you are interested in history and legends.
The city's history dates back to the 17th century.
In 1600 a free village was founded at the bend of the River Aydar by General Bogdan Byelsky (1550-1611), Czar Boris Godunov's envoy in the area.
Later Bogdan Byelsky fell into disgrace before the czar who was very envious of every nobleman who had more merits than the czar himself.
The free village founded by Prince Byelsky fell into decay and was only revived by the end of the 17th century.
In 1686 a new settlement was founded there. People called it after Bogdan Byelsky for his merits in developing the area.
The name of the city is closely connected with the famous novel of Soviet writers Ilya Ilf and Eugene Petrov “The Twelve Chairs” whose main hero was Ostap Bender, “the Great Schemer”.
One of the most hilarious chapters in the book is
"Interplanetary Chess Congress", still perhaps the greatest piece of chess humor ever written.
As Alexander Fadeyev, Chairman of the Soviet Writers' Union, wrote to Ilf and Petrov: "You have a very nice hero, Ostap Bender. But really, he's just a son of a ***." (Journal "Odessa", No. 8, 1997).
The novel was filmed and has always enjoyed great popularity among the people of the Soviet Union and FSU countries now.
The actors who played the main role of Ostap Bender – Archil Gomiashvili (1926-2005) who played the role of Ostap in 1971 and later Andrey Mironov (1941-1987) who played that role in 1977 – became almost national heroes afterwards, even if that role had been their only one.
In 2008 the monument to the famous novel was unveiled at the campus of the Starobelsk Faculty of Shevchenko National University.
It depicts Ostap Bender entering the city in 1927 and a beggar boy who spread out his arm begging “the Great Schemer” (who was at that time “out of his schemes” and almost a bum himself) for ten copecks.
The city residents celebrate Independence Day and City Day on one day – August 24, which is very rare in Ukraine.
Such a big state holiday as Independence Day should not coincide with any other holidays.
City Day is celebrated either in May or in September in all other towns and cities of Ukraine.
The city is the center of a county with dozens of villages.
Another Town Web Site
Pictures of Starobelsk
Pictures of the Cliff on the Outskirts
Pictures of Downtown Starobilsk
Graffiti of Starobilsk
- Pros:Lots of history in this compact city, stores, a hotel, cafes and restaurants, picturesque countryside
- In a nutshell:A Friendly Historical City
The city soccer team is called Olympus. It plays in the second league of Luhansk region and not very... more travel advice
The flag of Starobilsk consists of three horizontal stripes: white, green and golden. The white stripe symbilizes the... more travel advice
hunterV's Related Pages
Starobil's'k Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Starobil's'k
- Transportation in Starobil's'k
- Nightlife in Starobil's'k
- Restaurants in Starobil's'k
- Warnings and Dangers in Starobil's'k
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Starobil's'k
- 32 Reviews
- 156 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Starobil's'k?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Starobil's'k
Photos in Starobil's'kSee All Photos (156)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luhansk Intro, 357 reviews, 1924 photos, 14 travelogues
- Rubizhne Intro, 230 reviews, 1284 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 88 reviews, 544 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiev Intro, 100 reviews, 442 photos, 7 travelogues
- Horlivka Intro, 61 reviews, 446 photos, 10 travelogues
- Svyatogorsk Intro, 65 reviews, 405 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krasnodon Intro, 51 reviews, 342 photos, 10 travelogues
- Yelan' Intro, 58 reviews, 322 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stakhanov Intro, 48 reviews, 299 photos, 7 travelogues
- Kirovsk Intro, 63 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues