"On the Bank of the Seversky Donets" Syeverodonets'k by hunterV
Syeverodonets'k Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 82 photos
During my school years I lived in Rubizhne - the neighboring city of Syeverodonetsk - and I used to visit it quite often to go shopping or to go the movie theater or to the concert hall.
They also have a well-known "Ice Palace", a sports complex where different matches, competitions and concerts take place.
Now I always pass this city on my way to my home town, Rubizhne that lies about 12 km/7.5 miles to the northwest of this city.
Youtube slideshow on Syeverodonetsk
A new fountain in Syeverodonetsk
The city has itw own channel on Youtube:
This city is a recognized cultural center of Luhansk region. Its population is now 125 thousand inhabitants.
It is located to the north of the Seversky Donets that divides our region into two parts.
So this city could be called the capital of the northern part of Luhansk region.
The city has its own airport, trolleybuses, a huge conference center and a market, many schools and research institutes.
The monument to Clement Voroshilov (1881-1969), the Soviet President under Nikita Khrushchev (1956-1960) that stands opposite the bus terminal is very rare for it depicts the Soviet President in plain clothes as a president and not as a five-star general - a legendary image of this Soviet hero created mostly by the Communist propaganda.
It turned out that this man was not so crystal clear and heroic as he "was painted"...
Take a look at the city web site in English:
The City of Syeverodonetsk
The city is quite young, about 70 years old.
It is famous for its chemical industry and sprang as an industrial settlement of the chemical workers.
The city was called after the river Seversky Donets on whose left bank it stands. And the river is called Donets ("Little Don") for it is the left tributary of the Don, a great Russian river flowing into the Sea of Azov.
The name "Seversky" implies our very ancient history when nomadic tribes of Severtsy used to inhabit the banks of the river.
So the city name is connected both with the river on which it stands and the river name is connected with the ancient nomadic tribe of the Severtsy.
Such is the history...
Here are some useful phone numbers in the city:
(if you call from outside Ukraine)
+38 06452 4 85 19, 4 86 83
(GAL Travel Agency) and their email: firstname.lastname@example.org;
(the same code) 4 32 64 : Edem cafe;
2 30 88: Capital commodity agency.
- Pros:A great number of cafes, shops, a huge market and a conference center and Ice Palace
- Cons:Lots of chemical industry, quality of the roads
- In a nutshell:Industrial and Cultural Capital of the North of Luhansk Region
There are a lot of buses to/from Luhansk. They leave almost every hour until 6 p.m. Also, there are buses to other... more travel advice
Like in Luhansk and any other city of Ukraine, stray dogs are a problem in the city. There are dozens of them in the... more travel advice
hunterV's Related Pages
Syeverodonets'k Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Syeverodonets'k
- 7 Reviews
- 82 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Syeverodonets'k?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Syeverodonets'k
Photos in Syeverodonets'kSee All Photos (82)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luhansk Intro, 357 reviews, 1924 photos, 14 travelogues
- Rubizhne Intro, 230 reviews, 1284 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 88 reviews, 544 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiev Intro, 100 reviews, 442 photos, 7 travelogues
- Horlivka Intro, 61 reviews, 446 photos, 10 travelogues
- Svyatogorsk Intro, 65 reviews, 405 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krasnodon Intro, 51 reviews, 342 photos, 10 travelogues
- Yelan' Intro, 58 reviews, 322 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stakhanov Intro, 48 reviews, 299 photos, 7 travelogues
- Kirovsk Intro, 63 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues