"In the Oasis of the Donets Basin" Varvarivka by hunterV
Varvarivka Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 146 photos
The village of Varvarivka, Kreminne County of Luhansk region, Ukraine, was named in honor of Varvara (Barbara), the daughter of the local landlord who had founded the village.
The village was founded in 1680.
St.Elijah's Cathedral built at the end of the 17th century is the only surviving witness of those times. Now there is a monastery there.
The monastery was created at the territory of the cathedral in 2005.
My brother’s father-in-law and I went there and met Father Joasaph and talked to him.
I spent a day in that village several times. We walked round its center and went to village stores.
It's always a pleasure to visit the monastery, the cathedral and to take a shower at the local Virgin Mary's Font located very close to where my brother's mother-in-law lives.
The village is located in Kreminne District of Luhansk region, about 130 km/80 miles to the northwest of Luhansk. The district itself is known as the Oasis of the Donets Basin and Our Lake District.
Rubizhne, the city I was born in, is the nearest big city to Varvarivka. The villagers use its railway station located about 10 km/6.2 miles away from the village.
Kreminne, the district center, is much farther away: 22 km/14 miles away. So the villagers prefer to travel to Rubizhne, the nearest city, for shopping and selling their agricultural products.
The village is located at Rubizhne – Starobelsk motorway. This road crossing the village is good enough. All other streets are typical country roads, especially Eastern Street where my relatives live now. That street is simply an earth road.
In Soviet times there was a huge collective farm at the village. It was called Bolshevik and was called a millionaire collective farm, that is, the one whose income exceeded a million roubles. It had about 6,000 hectares/23 square miles of land at its disposal and built the entire infrastructure in the village. It was famous for its high quality wheat, dairy products and eggs.
It’s a pity the canning factory built on the outskirts of the village by the collective farm stands still now. It was not even put into operation. Its huge premises as well as the basement of the swimming pool located next to the leisure center remind us of the gigantic plans of the big Soviet collective farm, the plans that were not destined to come true…
Also, see Map of Varvarivka
- Pros:Wonderful landscapes, lots of greenery, hospitable people
- Cons:modest modern conveniences in private houses
- In a nutshell:Big hospitable village in the Forest Oasis of the Donets Basin
The Prophet St.Elijah Liturgy is followed by the pilgrims' lunch. All the pilgrims are invited to the foyer of the... more travel advice
The village leisure center organizes the interested villagers into different hobby and amateur activities group. They... more travel advice
- See All People's Handicrafts
- Village Nightclub
- Private Shop
- See All Entering the Village
hunterV's Related Pages
Varvarivka Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Varvarivka
- Transportation in Varvarivka
- Nightlife in Varvarivka
- Restaurants in Varvarivka
- Shopping in Varvarivka
- Warnings and Dangers in Varvarivka
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Varvarivka
- 20 Reviews
- 146 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (120)
Have you been to Varvarivka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Varvarivka
Photos in VarvarivkaSee All Photos (146)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luhansk Intro, 357 reviews, 1924 photos, 14 travelogues
- Rubizhne Intro, 235 reviews, 1309 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 156 reviews, 1004 photos, 27 travelogues
- Syeverodonets'k Intro, 156 reviews, 978 photos, 23 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiev Intro, 99 reviews, 440 photos, 7 travelogues
- Horlivka Intro, 62 reviews, 451 photos, 10 travelogues
- Svyatogorsk Intro, 65 reviews, 405 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krasnodon Intro, 51 reviews, 342 photos, 10 travelogues
- Yelan' Intro, 58 reviews, 322 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stakhanov Intro, 49 reviews, 304 photos, 7 travelogues