"Magdeburg überrascht - Magdeburg Surprises!" Top 5 Page for this destination Magdeburg by hunterV

Magdeburg Travel Guide: 112 reviews and 374 photos

Time Flies

"Magdeburg überrascht" - "Magdeburg Surprises!" - it's a modern travel slogan of this city.
Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance of revisiting this city since my first trip.
I only have memories of my stay there in the "good old times". In 1981 when I was a student of the foreign languages college in Horlivka, Donetsk region, Ukraine, I was selected to be a member of a Soviet group of students who had a German language seminar in Magdeburg.
That city was a county center at that time.
So it was my first trip abroad in my life that made me happy , of course, for a long time. Now the city is the capital of Sachsen-Anhalt, one of the country's sixteen federal provinces. The city must have changed a lot!
However, the main sites in the city center have remained as they were.
I am sure they have been restored and renovated to make the city look still more beautiful.

Lots of Sites

We, the thirty members of the Soviet students' group, stayed in Magdeburg for about a month. We studied German at Erich Weinert Pedagogical College and stayed at a dormitory at its campus. It was in August and September, a fine season and a good opportunity to browse the city's central streets and to visit its architectural gems: the Cathedral, the Liebfrauenkirche (the Church of Our Dear Lady), the City Park called Rotehorn located on the opposite bank of the Elbe. I enjoyed browsing Marx Street, Otto von Guericke Street, Pieck Avenue and Friendship Promenade in the city. The city park attracts the visitors by its promenade, sculptures, City Hall and a good view of the cathedral and the church.

My City Visits

Of all the monuments of the city I was deeply impressed by is The Knight of Magdeburg, a bronze copy of the stone original that is kept in the city history museum.
The monument belongs to the oldest knight images in Germany. It represents a splendid figure of a horseman with a lady on each of his sides. The idea of the monument remained obscure for a long time. One of the interpretations says the monument embodies the idea of spiritual and secular character of emperor's power.
I also visited the Botanical Gardens and was impressed by the collections.
Since I was an ardent cinemagoer, I also visited several city cinemas and could improve my listening comprehension skills by seeing several films in German, which was not possible at home at that time. Now I would have understood much more of their content I am sure!
As a matter of fact I could travel around the city quite freely either on foot or by tram just using the city map and without having to ask the way!
We also paid a visit to the Harz, a highland region to the south of Magdeburg and, of course, Dresden. So the hosts carefully planned our weekends and we could explore quite a lot during our stay there. Besides, everybody, even students who used to study Russian, spoke only German with us for us to practise it.
I still have a picture album with autographs of our teachers presented to the members of the Soviet group that was received in the best traditions of the inviolable Soviet-German friendship.
So much time has passed! I wish I could visit this city again and I wonder if I will find my way there.
After that first trip to Germany I went there again and again and have already visited it ten times all in all, among them six times as an interpreter and I hope that is not the limit!
I also have several black-and-white pictures and postcards.

• Pros:Very good orientation in the city, nice parks and embankment
  • Cons:busy traffic
  • In a nutshell:Lots of historical sites in a fully rebuilt old city!
  • Last visit to Magdeburg: Sep 1981
  • Intro Updated Jul 9, 2014

• Basaic's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Love the old City Hall

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2012 at 10:52 PM

I've re-read this page once again and appreciated your updates since January of 2008. Haven't been to Magdeburg yet... Happy Easter, Victor!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2012 at 2:49 PM

It was fortunate you were able to get here and learn the culture and language WAY back then. The Knight of Magdeburg I read about before, and it is interesting story and the city is wonderful. WE go to Munich area for one month starting in May

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Magdeburg seems an interesting place to visit especially the cathedral and Botanical Gardens. Thanks for sharing. Thanks also for visiting our Cyprus and Portugal travel pages. ~ho & pang

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2011 at 10:51 AM

I remember when Magdeburg was the first big city you would pass after crossing the control point (Checkpoint Alpha) on the highway from Helmstedt to Berlin. Today my train to see my aunt would stop in Magdeburg first:) how times change

• ZiOOlek's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2010 at 7:50 PM

Wedding city seems to be quite interesting place to visit :-)

• mindcrime's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2010 at 5:36 AM

nice tips here, I wish you had more of those black and white photos!

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2010 at 12:07 AM

I visited tis city many years ago but just for a few hours; I think I missed many interesting spots

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2009 at 9:09 AM

Magdeburg kenne ich noch nicht, sieht aber hübsch aus !... und das mit dem überraschen stimmt auch ! ;-)

• Andrew_W_K's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2009 at 12:16 AM

It was worth keeping all those postcards Victor. Thanks for sharing. The only thing I'd previously known about the city was that they had a good football team back in the 70's/80's

hunterV

“The entire world with your own eyes”

Badges & Stats in Magdeburg

Have you been to Magdeburg?

Latest Activity in Magdeburg