"Both Historical and Modern" Donetsk by hunterV
Donetsk Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 169 photos
I have never planned visiting this town, but one day a French guy whose ancestors were Russian Cossacks from the nearby village of Gundorovka asked me to help him. He wanted to find some relatives who might still live in that area.
My friends in Krasnodon helped me to contact the Russian Don Cossacks in Krasnodon and they, in their turn, arranged my visit to Donetsk to meet the Don Cossack leaders there.
The Cossack leaders in Donetsk did a great job: they found some people with the same last name as Frederic's, the French guy who had needed my help.
Now Frederic can arrive to Luhansk and I will take him directly to Donetsk to meet his possible relatives and the Cossack leaders who were kind enough to provide us help.
They took us for a drive around the town and to stanitsa itself.
We visited the famous Cossacks cathedral: Holy Assumption Cathedral in Gundorovka (see the page here).
I found out that Donetsk was the nearest city outside my home city where I could go to an Aqua park.
We visited the people’s Cossack museum in Donetsk (not a state one yet) and learnt a lot of history of the area.
The town of Donetsk appeared on the map in 1955 when the stanitsa of Gundorovka was transformed into a town.
The government began to mine rich deposits of coal in this area and the old Russian Cossacks’ stanitsa was turned into an industrial town.
Now about 45,000 people live in Donetsk.
The town occupies the area of 110 sq.km.
It is located in the central part of Rostov region, about 100 miles from the regional center, Rostov-on-Don.
The town lies on the banks of two rivers: the Seversky Donets (“The Little Don of the Severtsy”) and the Bolshaya Kamenka (“The Great Stone River”).
The Severtsy were the nomadic tribes that used to inhabit the era in the 3rd-5th century A.D.
Lenin monument still stands proudly in the middle of the central square of Donetsk. The residents have to bear with it. I wonder what the statue's arm is pointing at. It looks like it is pointing to the city park.
Here are some links (in Russian):
Town’s web site
Pictures of Donetsk Rostov region
Donetsk Photo Albums
Video Slides of Donetsk
- Pros:Aqua park, Russian Cossacks' museum, central alley, old Cossack stanitsa and cathedral nearby
- Cons:no time to explore everything in one day
- In a nutshell:Russian Cossacks' Glory
I found that the best way to get to Donetsk was via Krasnodon. Buses to/from Donetsk leave several times a day. The... more travel advice
Golden key is the symbol of cognition and discovery. For a town it is a symbol of its independence and... more travel advice
- See All Famous Fellow Countryman
- For Your Safe Walk
- Making Friends?
- Town Stadium
- Downtown Cafes
hunterV's Related Pages
Donetsk Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Donetsk
- Hotels in Donetsk
- Transportation in Donetsk
- Nightlife in Donetsk
- Restaurants in Donetsk
- Shopping in Donetsk
- Warnings and Dangers in Donetsk
- See All...
Explore the World
- Mactaquac Provincial Park Hotels
- Lake Apopka Hotels
- Ad Dammam
- Zamboanga City Hotels
- Bolinao Hotels
- State of Rajasthan Hotels
- Niagara Falls
- Jekyll Island
- Saint Petersburg Hotels
- Southern Province
- Guangdong Sheng
- Bad Neustadt an der Saale
Badges & Stats in Donetsk
- 26 Reviews
- 169 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Donetsk?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Donetsk
Photos in DonetskSee All Photos (169)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luhansk Intro, 357 reviews, 1924 photos, 14 travelogues
- Rubizhne Intro, 209 reviews, 1163 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 88 reviews, 544 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiev Intro, 100 reviews, 442 photos, 7 travelogues
- Horlivka Intro, 61 reviews, 446 photos, 10 travelogues
- Svyatogorsk Intro, 65 reviews, 405 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krasnodon Intro, 51 reviews, 342 photos, 10 travelogues
- Yelan' Intro, 55 reviews, 307 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stakhanov Intro, 48 reviews, 299 photos, 7 travelogues
- Kirovsk Intro, 63 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues