"Gallantry and Pride" Gundorovka by hunterV
Gundorovka Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 11 photos
Gundorovka was founded in 1681 as a Cossacks stanitsa.
There are several legends about the name of stanitsa. One of them says that gundor was a man who liked to talk and to have a chat. Stanitsa became a working settlement in December 1945.
In November 1951 it got municipal rights and became a town of Rostov region.
In July 1955 a new town appeared on the map. It was called Donetsk. It incorporated the former stanitsa and the working settlement of the nearby coalmine.
Now there is a separate settlement called Gundorovskiy located about five miles to the east of the town of Donetsk.
Gundorovskiy – this is the official name of this settlement that is located on the River Bolshaya Kamenka ("The Great Stone River") at its confluence with the Seversky Donets.
This Russian Cossacks settlement has rich history. The settlement is also called stanitsa.The Cossacks from Gundorovka were famous for their gallantry and courage at all fronts of all wars.
Gundorovka is also famous for its Cossack choir. The traditional songs of Russian Don Cossakcs are performed by this choir at every event or festival.
I was glad to make a short trip to this settlement during my stay in Donetsk.
We visited the famous Holy Assumption Cathedral where all the famous and brave Cossacks were baptized.
The erection of Holy Assumption Cathedral was requested by the Cossacks and approved by the Czar Nickolas I on November 24, 1852. The cathedral is at 42 Sovietskaya Street in Gundorovskiy.
I am sure I will come back to this place some day.
Stanitsa Gundorovskaya Photo Gallery
- Pros:Rich history and traditions, pure nature, wonderful views
- Cons:a small settlement with no hotel (not too many visitors)
- In a nutshell:A Proud Russian Cossacks Stanitsa
I heard about this cross and saw it in the folk lore museum in the town of Donetsk. The inscription reads, Gundorovka... more travel advice
hunterV's Related Pages
Gundorovka Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Gundorovka
- 3 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Gundorovka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gundorovka
Photos in GundorovkaSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luhansk Intro, 357 reviews, 1924 photos, 14 travelogues
- Rubizhne Intro, 235 reviews, 1309 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 88 reviews, 544 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiev Intro, 99 reviews, 440 photos, 7 travelogues
- Horlivka Intro, 61 reviews, 446 photos, 10 travelogues
- Svyatogorsk Intro, 65 reviews, 405 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krasnodon Intro, 51 reviews, 342 photos, 10 travelogues
- Yelan' Intro, 58 reviews, 322 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stakhanov Intro, 49 reviews, 304 photos, 7 travelogues
- Kirovsk Intro, 63 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues