"Architectural Gem of Russia" Top 5 Page for this destination Peterhof by hunterV
Peterhof Travel Guide: 65 reviews and 243 photos
I was privileged to stay in St.Petersburg (Leningrad then) for about a year when I served in the Soviet Army as a soldier there (1984-1985).
How can one miss visiting such an architectural gem as Peterhof during such a long stay in St.Petersburg?
I paid several visits there and each time I took a hydrofoil to Peterhof (Petrodvorets then).
It was an unforgettable experience.
There's so much to see there!
Photo Galleries of Peterhof
Photo Album of Peterhof
Panoramas of Peterhof
Peterhof in Winter
Peterhof was called Petrodvorets in Soviet times when I visited it.
It’s one of the famous environs of St.Petersburg.
Peterhof is often referred to as a palace-and-park complex.
Its beautiful gardens and parks, splendid palaces, picturesque fountains and exquisite pavilions are famous all over the world.
Peterhof is not far from St.Petersburg: about twenty miles to the west.
This figure stands on a granite rock in the middle of the large fountain in the Great Cascade.
The rock is three meters high.
Samson is depicted with his muscular arms. He is forcing open the lion’s jaws from which a twenty-one-meter jet of water shoots upwards.
There are eight guilded dolphins at Samson’s feet.
You can see four niches at the base of the pedestal (the rock) where you can see lions heads. They symbolize the four parts of the world. Streams of water stream from their jaws.
This fountain, the tallest and the biggest of all fountains here, became one of the symbols of Peterhof.
The fountain is a symbol of Russia’s victory in the Battle of Poltava in 1709.
- Pros:Beautiful gardens and parks, splendid palaces, picturesque fountains and exquisite pavilions
- Cons:You need several days to see and to enjoy all the beauty
- In a nutshell:A monument to Russia'a victory and labor
This is how Peterhof is often called. I still keep the book I bought there. It is a book about Peterhof in English... more travel advice
hunterV's Related Pages
Peterhof Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Peterhof (Peter's Court)"
- "Peterhof and its amazing fountains"
- "Architectural Gem of Russia"
- "Peter the Great's Little Palace"
- "Peter the Great's Palace"
- "Peterhof - The Russian "Versailles""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Peterhof
- Transportation in Peterhof
- Restaurants in Peterhof
- Warnings and Dangers in Peterhof
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Peterhof
- 3 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Peterhof?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Peterhof
- Posted in Travel Luhansk Forum "Re: Dancing shows events at the..."
- Commented on one of henri123's Peterhof travel pages
- updated a Peterhof Travel Page "Architectural Gem of Russia"
- Uploaded a Photo to "City of Fountains and Museums"
- Wrote a Review City of Fountains and Museums in Peterhof Favorites
Photos in PeterhofSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luhansk Intro, 357 reviews, 1924 photos, 14 travelogues
- Rubizhne Intro, 230 reviews, 1284 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 88 reviews, 544 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiev Intro, 100 reviews, 442 photos, 7 travelogues
- Horlivka Intro, 61 reviews, 446 photos, 10 travelogues
- Svyatogorsk Intro, 65 reviews, 405 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krasnodon Intro, 51 reviews, 342 photos, 10 travelogues
- Yelan' Intro, 58 reviews, 322 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stakhanov Intro, 48 reviews, 299 photos, 7 travelogues
- Kirovsk Intro, 63 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues