"The Hero City of Volgograd" Top 5 Page for this destination Volgograd by hunterV
Volgograd Travel Guide: 67 reviews and 148 photos
Volgograd is a huge city on the great Russian river Volga.
It was founded in 1589 as Tsaritsyn.
The name itself implies "czarin", thus the name would sound in English as "Czarina's City".
In 1925-1961 the city was called Stalingrad in honor of Joseph Stalin.
The city has always been one of the most important cities on the Volga. Now the city has over two million inhabitants.
Volgograd is famous for the Stalingrad battle of 1942-43 that ended in a total defeat of the German occupation army. The city was almost totally destroyed and then rebuilt.
After the war the city became a Hero City of the Soviet Union.
Volgograd and Coventry, Great Britain, became the world's first twin-cities soon after the war as cities that suffered a lot during the last war.
Here are some useful links about the city:
Volgograd Story wih Pictures
Little Yard sauna+café+hotel
There is a big memorial complex called To the Heroes of the Stalingrad Battle known as Mamayev Kurgan. It attracts lots of Russian and foreign visitors.
As Hedrick Smith wrote in his book "The Russians" in 1976, it's "the towering World War II monument, a 160-foot tall Mother Russia on a hillcrest, sword raised against the foe, her dead prayerfully buried around her feet".
The city is also known for its Gorky Theater, the beautiful Volga embankments and parks. It is pleasant to stroll in the parks along the embankments.
I have only visited this city once in my life and I feel there is much more to see there than I have seen. Let's hope I will get another chance of going to that beautiful Russian city on the Volga :-)
- Pros:Lots of historical monuments, nice river views
- Cons:very crowdy places
- In a nutshell:A city with a glorious past
The city is also known for its Gorky Theater, the beautiful Volga embankments and parks. It is pleasant to stroll in... more travel advice
hunterV's Related Pages
Volgograd Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tsaritsin, Stalingrad, Volgorgad..."
- "A great trip to Volgograd!!!"
- "Volgograd (formerly Stalingrad)- Rodina Mat'"
- "The Hero City of Volgograd"
- "Russian X-treme: Feel a Cossack!"
- "City that remembers The second WW"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Volgograd
- Hotels in Volgograd
- Transportation in Volgograd
- Nightlife in Volgograd
- Restaurants in Volgograd
- Warnings and Dangers in Volgograd
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Volgograd
- 6 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Volgograd?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Volgograd
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luhansk Intro, 357 reviews, 1924 photos, 14 travelogues
- Rubizhne Intro, 230 reviews, 1284 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 88 reviews, 544 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiev Intro, 100 reviews, 442 photos, 7 travelogues
- Horlivka Intro, 61 reviews, 446 photos, 10 travelogues
- Svyatogorsk Intro, 65 reviews, 405 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krasnodon Intro, 51 reviews, 342 photos, 10 travelogues
- Yelan' Intro, 58 reviews, 322 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stakhanov Intro, 48 reviews, 299 photos, 7 travelogues
- Kirovsk Intro, 63 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues