"From Parents' Home to Moscow Region" Zvenigorod by hunterV
Zvenigorod Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 10 photos
I had to join the Soviet army after I came back from my business trip to Iraq in the fall of 1983. There was no getting away from it. So in November 1983 I found myself in a Soviet soldier's uniform running and jumping in the snows of Moscow region at an AMS (Army Map Service) military training unit.
I spent about half a year there and then had to leave for Leningrad, now St.Petersburg, where I was honored and privileged to serve for a year at an AMS unit downtown.
Our AMS (Army Map Service) military training unit was located outside the town of Zvenigorod amidst a fine fir-tree forest. I had to take a bus from downtown to get there.
Every month I had a leave and could go downtown to see a new movie or just to walk around.
St.Savva Monastery that I passed each time was in decay at that time.
I am glad it flourished within the past ten years.
Nice info on St.Savva Monastery
A story about Zvenigorod by a Russian traveler
The town is quite small: about twelve thousand inhabitants.
It is located about 35 miles to the east of Moscow (about an hour journey by train).
Wikipedia on Zvenigorod
- Pros:Healthy environment, huge monastery and churches, big forest around the town
- Cons:too far to get there
- In a nutshell:Beginning of My Military Service
hunterV's Related Pages
Zvenigorod Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "From Parents' Home to Moscow Region"
- "Zvenigorod and Surroundings"
- "Visiting Zvenigorod (under construction)"
- "Savvino-Storozhevsky Monastery"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Zvenigorod
- 1 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Zvenigorod?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zvenigorod
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Could you please support our..."
- updated a Zvenigorod Travel Page "From Parents' Home to Moscow Region"
- Commented on one of melek02's Zvenigorod travel pages
- Wrote a Review Visiting St.Savva Monastery in Zvenigorod Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Visiting St.Savva Monastery"
Photos in ZvenigorodSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luhansk Intro, 357 reviews, 1924 photos, 14 travelogues
- Rubizhne Intro, 235 reviews, 1309 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 141 reviews, 889 photos, 22 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiev Intro, 99 reviews, 440 photos, 7 travelogues
- Horlivka Intro, 62 reviews, 451 photos, 10 travelogues
- Svyatogorsk Intro, 65 reviews, 405 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krasnodon Intro, 51 reviews, 342 photos, 10 travelogues
- Yelan' Intro, 58 reviews, 322 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stakhanov Intro, 49 reviews, 304 photos, 7 travelogues
- Kirovsk Intro, 63 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues