"City of Gold" Top 5 Page for this destination Pforzheim by hunterV
Pforzheim Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 142 photos
During my stay in Germany as a German teacher at a country study seminar my colleagues and I made a day's trip to Pforzheim to get know this city a little.
The city is known as the gateway to the Black Forest.
It stands on the confluence of three rivers: the Enz, the Nagold and the Kleiner Wurm.
It was the Romans who first appreciated the favorable location of the city, settled there and gave the settlement the name of Portus - "gateway".
The city is also the birthplace of the great humanist Johannes Reuchlin.
Although the city was totally destroyed in the last war, it was fully restored and now looks quite modern and beautiful.
The town's long history can only be observed in the ancient castle and the monastery church of St.Michael dating back to the 13th century and a few other remnants.
It was interesting to walk downtown and to visit the city museum of gold.
I hope to make another trip to that city in the future.
- Pros:clean streets, a great museum and affable people
- Cons:too much to see in one day...
- In a nutshell:Wonderful combination of the old and the modern
Why not visit the Jewellery Museum in Reuchlin House (Leopoldplatz). The museum includes items of jewellery from the... more travel advice
Take a guided tour of the city by Minicar-Tour Pforzheim in autumn-winter season. a nice view of the city with an... more travel advice
hunterV's Related Pages
Pforzheim Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Opera in Pforzheim"
- "Pforzheim: Searching for Gold in a Post-War Desert"
- "Charm of "Goldstadt""
- "City of Gold"
- "cjg1's new Pforzheim Page"
- "Calw - a birthplace of Herman Hesse"
- "Pforzheim, just passing through"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pforzheim
- Hotels in Pforzheim
- Transportation in Pforzheim
- Nightlife in Pforzheim
- Restaurants in Pforzheim
- See All...
Explore the World
- Staten Island Hotels
- Lethbridge Hotels
- Mont Saint Michel
- Mount Shasta Hotels
- Langata Rongai Hotels
- Grand Baie
- Cedar Creek Battlefield Hotels
- Arsikere Hotels
- Costa de Caparica
- Isla Graciosa
- Velden am Wörthersee
- Muddus Nationalpark
Badges & Stats in Pforzheim
- 5 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Pforzheim?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pforzheim
Photos in PforzheimSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luhansk Intro, 357 reviews, 1924 photos, 14 travelogues
- Rubizhne Intro, 230 reviews, 1284 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 88 reviews, 544 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiev Intro, 100 reviews, 442 photos, 7 travelogues
- Horlivka Intro, 61 reviews, 446 photos, 10 travelogues
- Svyatogorsk Intro, 65 reviews, 405 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krasnodon Intro, 51 reviews, 342 photos, 10 travelogues
- Yelan' Intro, 58 reviews, 322 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stakhanov Intro, 48 reviews, 299 photos, 7 travelogues
- Kirovsk Intro, 63 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues