"A Trip to the Mountains" Dachstein by hunterV
Dachstein Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 47 photos
Regrettably I travel to the mountains very seldom. The nearest mountains are located about 1,000 miles from where we live.
I have only been to the Carpathian Mountains in Ukraine, but I didn't climb Mount Hoverla (2,061 m - 6,762 ft), the highest peak of Ukraine.
During our stay in Upper Austria we had a chance of traveling to the mountains. Our hosts were kind enough to take us there.
Our enthusiastic guide Wolfgang from Weyregg at Lake Attersee took us to Dachstein Massif for a day trip. It was about an hour trip by bus.
We first came to the town of Obertraun located at the foot of Dachstein and from there we took a rope way (Seilbahn) to the Giant Ice Caves and from there another rope way to the height of 2,100 m/6,890 ft to see Berghotel, Mount Krippenstein and the massif.
Although the weather was dull and it was going to rain, we enjoyed the trip very much for we saw the Giant Ice Caves and Mount Krippenstein, Obertraun and Hallstatt - world heritage places.
Visiting the ice cave is considered to be a good bad-weather activity in that area.
If you go to the Ice Caves, you will be taken along the 800-meter-long (2,625 ft) path through the cave. The path leads slightly upwards and the exit lies 40 m/131 ft higher than the entrance to the cave
You can have your picture taken at the entrance and get it at the exit.
The first cave section is free of ice. You can see the Bear Cemetery and listen to the guide's story about it. Then the ice section begins and the guide will ask you to put on a sweater for the temperature is about zero centigrade there.
The ice section begins with Tropfensteinhall Stalactite Hall. It is the warmest part of the ice cave with the annual temperature of about 3 degrees centigrade.
Then you will see King Arthur Cathedral - a huge ice hall where large amounts of rock fell down in ancient times as a result of water erosion and formed a chamber.
Other ice halls are called after the heroes of the legend of King Arthur:
Queen Kondwiramur Palace (at the beginning of the ice section);
Gralsburg with Frozen Waterfall;
Tristan Cathedral, Monte Cristallo, Tristan and Isolde, Isolde Castle and Ice Chapel that is perhaps the most impressive of all halls.
- Pros:Wonderful views, fresh air, unforgettable impressions
- Cons:too far to get there...
- In a nutshell:World Cultural and Natural Heritage
The map shows how to get there by car/train. Our group got there from the north: Regau-Gmunden-Ebensee-Bad Ischl-Bad... more travel advice
The only thing to be aware of during your cave excursion is to mind the steps during the walking tour. The ice is not... more travel advice
hunterV's Related Pages
Dachstein Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Dachstein
- Transportation in Dachstein
- Restaurants in Dachstein
- Warnings and Dangers in Dachstein
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Dachstein
- 9 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 32 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Dachstein?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dachstein
Photos in DachsteinSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luhansk Intro, 357 reviews, 1924 photos, 14 travelogues
- Rubizhne Intro, 230 reviews, 1284 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 88 reviews, 544 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiev Intro, 100 reviews, 442 photos, 7 travelogues
- Horlivka Intro, 61 reviews, 446 photos, 10 travelogues
- Svyatogorsk Intro, 65 reviews, 405 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krasnodon Intro, 51 reviews, 342 photos, 10 travelogues
- Yelan' Intro, 58 reviews, 322 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stakhanov Intro, 48 reviews, 299 photos, 7 travelogues
- Kirovsk Intro, 63 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues