Hallstatt Things to Do Tips by hunterV
Hallstatt Things to Do: 121 reviews and 217 photos
The Salt Carrier
Salt Carrier monument was the first one we saw upon our arrival to this place.
You can see this monument to the salt culture not far from the parking lot in Seestrasse.
It reminds us of the times when salt was very important for the town and people used to extract it in the salt mines in the mountains.
This monument was the first thing we saw when we arrived to Hallstatt.
If you want to see a very special old custom, why not go to the Catholic Cathedral.
First of all, you will see a huge hall with two altars, the sculpture of Jesus and the Virgin and then you will be taken into the Charnel House that used to be traditional more than a hundred years ago.
The so-called Beinhaus (charnel house) in the yard of the Catholic parish church is very special.
It is full of painted and signed skulls and human bones.
Those are the ashes of the people that died in the 18th and 19th centuries.
The ashes had to be excavated and put in that house for want of land.
The town had and still has very little land area, that’s why there was such a strange custom.
Address: Hallstatt Catholic Church
Famous artefact that became one of symbols
The city gave its name to the early Iron Age after the important archeological discoveries had been made in this area.
The so-called salt culture was excavated in the Field of Graves and lots of findings dating back to the early Iron Age (800-400 B.C.) were made.
So the early Iron Age was called in honor of the town were the discoveries had been made.
The picture represents one of the discoveries that became one of the city symbols.
The city and the surrounding area became the World Cultural and Natural Heritage in 1997.
So I am proud to have visited that great place!
Catholic Church altar
Entering the church we saw this small altar to the right.
I don't think I know the exact name for it.
There is another altar to the left of it.
I could not exactly understand why there should be two altars.
I think it's one of the habits there.
Address: Catholic Church, Hallstatt
hunterV's Related Pages
Hallstatt Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hallstatt . . . my inspiration"
- "Heavenly Hallstatt......."
- "Hallstatt...it’s paradise!"
- "Beautiful Hallstatt"
- "Historical, magical, beautiful"
- "Hallstatt a great place to spend your time!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hallstatt
- Hotels in Hallstatt
- Transportation in Hallstatt
- Nightlife in Hallstatt
- Restaurants in Hallstatt
- Shopping in Hallstatt
- Warnings and Dangers in Hallstatt
- See All...
Explore the World
- Mountmellick Hotels
- Beaumaris Hotels
- Walensee Hotels
- Killeen Hotels
- Salisbury Beach
Badges & Stats in Hallstatt
- 4 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Hallstatt?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hallstatt
Photos in HallstattSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luhansk Intro, 357 reviews, 1924 photos, 14 travelogues
- Rubizhne Intro, 230 reviews, 1284 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 88 reviews, 544 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiev Intro, 100 reviews, 442 photos, 7 travelogues
- Horlivka Intro, 61 reviews, 446 photos, 10 travelogues
- Svyatogorsk Intro, 65 reviews, 405 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krasnodon Intro, 51 reviews, 342 photos, 10 travelogues
- Yelan' Intro, 58 reviews, 322 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stakhanov Intro, 48 reviews, 299 photos, 7 travelogues
- Kirovsk Intro, 63 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (249)
Latest Hallstatt hotel reviews
- Gasthof Simony
- 78 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 26, 2013
- Gasthof Zauner
- 51 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 14, 2013
- Gasthof Hirlatz
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 10, 2013
- Pension Hallberg
- 37 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 18, 2013
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Seehotel Gruner Baum
- 105 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 16, 2013