"Our Great Neighbor" Rostovskaya Oblast' by hunterV
Rostovskaya Oblast' Travel Guide: 190 reviews and 889 photos
Rostovskaya Oblast' (in Russian), or Rostov region in English, is one of the biggest regions in Russia with its area of over 100,000 sq.km and population of over four million inhabitants.
Its center – Rostov-on-Don – is the center of the Southern Federal Territory of the Russian Federation.
Rostov region occupies the Don Basin and is washed by Taganrog Bay.
A lot of writers, poets and artists were enchanted by the beautiful landscapes of that area and visited it repeatedly.
Alexander Puskin wrote,
“The Don is flowing and sparkling
amidst broad fields.
I have brought you kind regards
from your faraway sons.”
The Don Basin attracts lots of people from all over Russia and from abroad by its rich history and interesting customs and habits of Don Cossacks, hospitable people, the beautiful nature of the River Don, the Sea of Azov, Taganrog Bay, Tsymliansk Water Reserve, the Don steppes.
Tourism in Rostov Region (map of sites)
The Great Don Cossacks Army is famous all over the world.
At present the Don Cossacks serve their Motherland. Their total number is over 140,000 men.
Russian Don Cossacks are a special old ethnic group of people who call themselves a people, one of the numerous peoples inhabiting the huge Russian Federation. Russian Don Cossacks cherish their traditions and customs very much.
Not everybody recognizes them as a people, though.
By the way, I found out that Ukraine was the only state in Europe that recognized Cossacks as a people.
When the Cossacks I met learnt that I was from Ukraine, they started telling me the entire history of their people and treated me to dinner.
Several cities of Rostov region are recognized as important tourist centers, among them:
Rostov - "Gateway to the Caucasus"
There are a lot of first class hotels (for Russia at least) that are very expensive I would say. The prices in those hotels start with 1,500 RUR ($50).
Melekhov Country Club is a very special place where there are hotel rooms and at the same time it is a recreation center built in the middle of an old Cossack settlement in a very picturesque countryside.
Cities of Rostov region have wonderful museums and theaters, nice cafes and restaurants in original country style.
Gorky Theater in Rostov
Melekhov Country Club
The only drawback about all these web sites is that they are all in Russian…
- Pros:Beautiful countryside, hospitable people, lots of sites to visit
- Cons:very expensive hotels, some roads leave much to be desired, industrial pollution
- In a nutshell:Hospitable Land of Russian Cossacks
hunterV's Related Pages
Rostovskaya Oblast' Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Our Great Neighbor"
- "The Don River"
- "Kazachiy dozor (Cossack watch)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rostovskaya Oblast'
- Hotels in Rostovskaya Oblast'
- Transportation in Rostovskaya Oblast'
- Nightlife in Rostovskaya Oblast'
- Restaurants in Rostovskaya Oblast'
- Shopping in Rostovskaya Oblast'
- Warnings and Dangers in Rostovskaya Oblast'
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rostovskaya Oblast'
- 117 Reviews
- 688 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 4 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (120)
Have you been to Rostovskaya Oblast'?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rostovskaya Oblast'
- Posted in Travel Luhansk Forum "Re: Pass or allowance"
- updated a Rostovskaya Oblast' Travel Page "Our Great Neighbor"
- Uploaded a Video to Rostovskaya Oblast'
- Uploaded a Photo to "Unforgettable Stay"
- Wrote a Review Unforgettable Stay in Rostovskaya Oblast' Hotels
- Commented on one of lorgnierl's Rostovskaya Oblast' travel pages
Videos in Rostovskaya Oblast'See All Videos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luhansk Intro, 357 reviews, 1924 photos, 14 travelogues
- Rubizhne Intro, 235 reviews, 1309 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 156 reviews, 1004 photos, 27 travelogues
- Syeverodonets'k Intro, 156 reviews, 978 photos, 23 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiev Intro, 99 reviews, 440 photos, 7 travelogues
- Horlivka Intro, 62 reviews, 451 photos, 10 travelogues
- Svyatogorsk Intro, 65 reviews, 405 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krasnodon Intro, 51 reviews, 342 photos, 10 travelogues
- Yelan' Intro, 58 reviews, 322 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stakhanov Intro, 49 reviews, 304 photos, 7 travelogues